PDA

View Full Version : Importing personal transitions / keying

ryandietz
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
So I have a transition I want to use (a QT file with an alpha channel) and I noticed that all TriCaster transitions are .trans files. How can I get my transition into that format?

Also, how can I set up a luma key to be able to put a logo over a background if it doesn't have an alpha channel?

Thanks!

SBowie
06-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Which TriCaster do you have?

Dexter2999
06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Not a TriCaster user but, luma keys don't need Alpha channels do they? Alpha channels are used for Alpha Keys (or DSK's.) Luma Channels key out the white or black of the luminance channel to create a key. Chroma Keys key out a specific color from the chroma (again no Alpha channel needed.)

Or is this something specific to a TriCaster?

bob anderson
06-17-2011, 06:53 PM
There is currently not a way internally in the TriCaster to instantly convert such a file into a transition. You can easily do this in post production by simply using the QT file as an overlay.

The reason Steve was asking which model TriCaster you are using is that the standard def systems do in fact have a means to make transitions, but it requires Aura, a program no longer manufactured, but occasionally available on e-bay, etc.

The HD version currently does not have a way to compile effects, but the Newly introduced and just about to ship TriCaster extreme does have this capability.

Bob Anderson

kltv
06-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Also depending on what model you have, you may be able to convert that QuickTime to a more NewTek-friendly format with alpha channel and use the animation in a DDR to hide a standard cut or dissolve underneath. It is trickier, but can be done if you have to.

Kris

SBowie
06-18-2011, 06:08 AM
The reason Steve was asking which model TriCaster you are using is ...Correct. The methodology, even of simply applying the animation as an overlay, varies between models - as does the transition technology. I like to have the basic information before replying, seems to help keep things from heading off on a tangent. :)

Brian Mirrlees
06-18-2011, 07:57 AM
... seems to help keep things from heading off on a tangent. :)

Steve: this is why you have the badge (and presumably the pre-requisite gun)

b.

SBowie
06-18-2011, 07:07 PM
(and presumably the pre-requisite gun)As a matter of fact, in a drawer in my desk is a matched set of original Maverick cap pistols, rescued from my old toybox when cleaning out the house after my Dad passed away. I keep them around to remind me of my rootin' tootin' days. I hung up my guns long ago, and these days there's a good deal less root or toot ... but you never know when they may need to be called into service again (I'm sure most of us have seen "Paint Your Wagon", and if not, you definitely should).

mikemsi
06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
There is currently not a way internally in the TriCaster to instantly convert such a file into a transition.

Are there other tools available to do it outside the TriCaster? Seems like there should be SOME way to use custom files as transitions for live production.

BTW, I have an 850.

SBowie
06-20-2011, 02:19 PM
BTW, I have an 850.With a TCXD850, you can run an animation, with alpha or keyed, in one of the DSK layers from a DDR in sync with one of the stock transitions (which are all one form or another of a dissolve). At present, among HD model TriCasters, only TCXD850 EXTREME supports transitions with embedded full color animated overlays and audio.

kltv
06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
With a TCXD850, you can run an animation, with alpha or keyed, in one of the DSK layers from a DDR in sync with one of the stock transitions (which are all one form or another of a dissolve). At present, among HD model TriCasters, only TCXD850 EXTREME supports transitions with embedded full color animated overlays and audio.

I do this with a Macro using a Belkin n52te. I can program this on another computer and it keeps all the keys stored in memory, so you don't have to install anything on the TriCaster. It just fires keyboard shortcuts at a predictable rate and pattern to execute this type of transition. I use DDR2 in DSK2 and execute a sequence like this:

Replay Move (add or loses DSK1 - which is scoreboard graphic):

[ : Sets BKGD-only Transition
SHIFT + ] : Adds DSK1 to transition, which will add or remove my scoreboard graphic underneath the replay move
SHIFT+D : Takes DSK2 - which autorolls and initiates the transition
DELAY 500ms: Waits for fullscreen cut point
ENTER: Undercuts BKGD+DSK1
DELAY 1500 ms: Waits for animation to clear
SHIFT+D: Takes DSK2 off air
[: Reset to BKGD-only transition

This works fine as long as you can dedicate a DDR to transitions. I just leave the one animation in DDR2 and it just recues itself over and over again. You could use multiple animations and it would cue each in order, but I'd want a similar cutpoint underneath so that I wouldn't have to build a whole bunch of different delays.

Other than doing it this way, you'll need the Extreme... which makes this way easier. I have a couple of different Macros built this way for things I can't do fast enough on my own. You could also add in making sure that DDR2 is selected as the DSK2 source and other safety nets if you need to. When I'm doing this, I always leave DDR2 in DSK2, so it isn't a concern for me, but it is possible. You could also add in something to select your source. So if you are going to a replay in V8 (because you've got a logo burned in) you could add SHIFT++ to select V8 before executing the transition sequence. Macros are cool.

Kris

ryandietz
06-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Which TriCaster do you have?

We're using both an 850 (not extreme) and 300 for two different purposes. The 300 is for a videoboard, the 850 is for a TV/stream.

It seems like this update was due a long time ago, but there is no way we're just going to toss a few new pieces of equipment to get the Extreme.

SBowie
06-20-2011, 08:10 PM
It seems like this update was due a long time ago, but there is no way we're just going to toss a few new pieces of equipment to get the Extreme.I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the first part, but I'm not suggesting tossing anything. That said, just in case you haven't heard, you do have the option of taking advantage of the EXTREME upgrade program, currently at a reduced cost for a little longer afaik.

bbailey
06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I HAVE Aura and I still didn't figure out how to complile a transition I'd made as an avi file. I ended up shipping the file and someone else compiled it for me. Works like a charm but I can't change it if I wanted to.

SBowie
06-23-2011, 05:41 PM
I HAVE Aura and I still didn't figure out how to complile a transition I'd made as an avi file. I ended up shipping the file and someone else compiled it for me. Works like a charm but I can't change it if I wanted to.If you mean you had trouble rendering an animation file from Aura as an AVI, I could probably help you with steps. Just email me to chat (I hate involved conversations in the little PM windows here, sorry).

bob anderson
06-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I know there are really simple step by step instructions somewhere online. I don't remember where though!

Bob Anderson

joseburgos
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
You can also do it in LW but it is much more complicated. Even I hate using it and only do if someone needs the video to warp. Lucky 99% of the time I can use Aura.
Now the XD Extreme comes with the transition compiler which is cool it is included.
By the way they work great and love it has audio :)

PS I make custom transitions as well as convert animation for use as a transition.

Take care,

bbailey
07-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I just found this post from last month. Jose sent me a video he made for me that shows step by step as to compiling in Aura the animations I build in Bluff Titler, an inexpensive animation software. I do the animation and export it at screen rez with alpha as an .avi and then, thanks to Jose, I run the routine in Aura to get the transition built.

Thanks Jose.