PDA

View Full Version : Animate points in LW 8?

badllarma
10-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Is this correct folks? Must of missed the stream from Siggraph covering this if it did that is? And if so will you be able to just select the point and move it and then keyframe? Without the use of EndoMorphs?

I saw the particles will be able to be animated indervidually but must of missed this if it is correct, Proton? anyone like to say anything with regards to this:)

hrgiger
10-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Points will be animatable and keyframable at least in the feed I saw. I saw a character being animated and the points being moved to correct a bad deformation. How useful this will be remains to be seen although, it's been a much needed feature. It'd be nice to know if the points can be animated in such a way to have automatic and adjustable joint deformation so you don't have to keep correcting the same points every time the character moves to that troublesome position.

meshmaster
10-07-2003, 01:15 PM
especially for game development so that you can export animated .x files

omeone
10-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Hopefully we'll be able to multi-select points and move on constrained axii (sp?) too, to allow for some camera based modelling, but if not I suppose it'll only be a matter of time before some bright spark writes a plugin of some variety to do it.

ericsmith
10-07-2003, 05:08 PM
You've got to understand that the only way to animate points in the new v8 layout is to run them through a softbody simulation. Then you can edit the simulation point by point.

It won't be a substitute for jointmorph, or a convenient way to model in-camera.

But it will save tons of tinker-time when doing things like cloth simulation and the like.

Eric

SplineGod
10-07-2003, 08:23 PM
If you want this functionality you can do this now with XTOOL (http://home.nordnet.fr/~phoneikon/XTool_Main_001.htm) . This plugin is awesome!
You can select points right in layout or use point groups from modeler or add your selections in layout to those groups.

The points show up in the graph editor which means that you can sculpt the points into any configuration at a joint for example and then tie the points to the rotation of the forearm bone via CYCLER so that very time the bone is bent the points move to particular positions. This is about as close to smart skinning as Ive seen.

Xtool also works in conjunction with other deformation plugins such as motion designer. You can for example, run a simulation where cloth runs into a collision object. Most of the time youll see the collision object poke thru. With this you can simply select the points on the cloth and move them. No muss no fuss, its easy.

You can also parent points to objects as well.

Its a great plugin and only $60 bucks.

badllarma
10-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
If you want this functionality you can do this now with XTOOL (http://home.nordnet.fr/~phoneikon/XTool_Main_001.htm) .

The points show up in the graph editor which means that you can sculpt the points into any configuration at a joint for example and then tie the points to the rotation of the forearm bone via CYCLER so that very time the bone is bent the points move to particular positions. This is about as close to smart skinning as Ive seen.

Xtool also works in conjunction with other deformation plugins

That is really what I want it for (although it would be useful for SFX work as well) cheeers for the link SplineGod :D

omeone
10-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks Splinegod & eric smith for the info

SplineGod
10-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Sure thing! :)

meshmaster
10-10-2003, 07:43 AM
I know that there is a .x exporter from dstorm, but you can't export animations unless you manually keyframe rotation, etc, based on item. If you manually keyframe points with xtool, will the dstorm exporter export those animations in to the animated .x file so that it can then be opened up in game engines? I don't think that deform plugins work on the .x exporter (bones, motion designer, etc), so that's why I'm asking.