PDA

View Full Version : Can't open wrl files...?

daforum
06-17-2011, 02:59 AM
:help:
Hello folks!

I can't open these wrl files and I would like to; can anyone help?

I did try Blender (no luck there) and checked Sketchup (but no wrl import)
So can anyone open them and convert to lwo (or any file format that LightWave can open?

They aren't for a specific project, and have been in my Library for ages, so I wanted to open them to have a look (and as such I can't remember where I got them from either)
If you can convert them then great; and of course please keep the objects for your own projects too.

daforum
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Can anyone help?

Dexter2999
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
According to the interwebs, that is a VRML file. Never heard of such being opened with LW.

Also, at least on one page, says you need IMSI TurboCAD Deluxe to open them.

Good Luck

MicroMouse
06-17-2011, 11:45 PM
The requested files

Wayne

daforum
06-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Woohoo! :)
Thank you Wayne for doing this.....I never thought i'd get to see them.

Many thanks :thumbsup:

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what app did you use to open and convert them?

MicroMouse
06-18-2011, 12:03 PM
You're welcome, daforum,

I used AccuTrans 3D available at http://www.micromouse.ca/

Wayne

shrox
06-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I used 3DMax to open and export to OBJ, but the LWO file was 40mgs! I couldn't even post it!

daforum
06-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Thanks for converting the files Shrox :)

The lwo's from Wayne (MicroMouse) are a slightly bigger file size than the original wrl files (1.5mb and 2.5mb) and the image maps remain the same.

MicroMouse
06-19-2011, 12:11 PM
There were only HEIGHTS stored in the WRL files plus 4 other values which are used to create the terrain.

The heights are stored on a rectangular basis with a specified number of heights on the X and Z axes. These are given by the xDimension and zDimension in the WRL file.

A fixed spacing is specified for the distance between the heights on both the X and Z axes. These are given by the xSpacing and zSpacing in the WRL file.

This is a typical technique used for DEMs (Digital Elevation Maps) as it reduces the amount of data that has to be saved to the file. The display engine for DEMs calculates all other needed values on the fly.

For LWO files, data that was calculated on the fly by the DEM display engine has to be calculated and stored to the LWO file. An array of vertices (X, Y and Z coordinates), an array of UVs (X and Y coordinates) and an array of quads (with indices into the vertex and UV arrays).

Thus the LWO file is much larger in size than the WRL file.

Wayne

daforum
06-20-2011, 03:45 PM
No problem with the size of the lwo's Wayne; it's much appreciated that you did this :thumbsup:

I was merely pointing out to Shrox that the lwo's from you were smaller than the 40mb files he said he exported; and were here on this thread if he wanted to use them.

shrox
06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes, even with all points and polys merged it was big, but the 40 meg was the zip file with both objects and maps.

MicroMouse
06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
I only explained what happened during the conversion process in case someone was curious why the LWO files were larger than the WRL files.

Wayne