PDA

View Full Version : I knew about exporting, but is .OBJ importing also messed up in 10?

Netvudu
06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi there.

I read somewhere around here that version 10 had broken .obj exporting, and there is in fact one script floating around for that task. Nobody mentioned anything regarding importing, though, but when I import an .obj from Houdini, APPARENTLY it looks all right, but the point order is all changed.
I know it because you canīt load any .mdd created in Houdini over that model because it looks all messed up.
If I import the same .obj into Softimage and then export it as an .lwo from there itīs more or less intact. This makes me think the problem is on Lightwave side.
If the model is generated in LW, and later on animated in Houdini (exporting .obj with the script, not the native tool), it may work, but if the geometry was created natively in Houdini weīre screwed up :mad:

Not to mention old Ligthwave versions brought Houdiniīs obj files with the groups intact as parts that we could use, and now they get lost.
Sorry, but the whole .obj thing is reeeeallly sloppy in recent versions of LW. So much for the so many times mentioned "interoperability" with other packages: .OBJ format broken :D

TeZzy
06-16-2011, 08:12 PM
obj export is wonky in 10. Doesn't keep my uv's intact....just ended up loading it in 9.6 and exported from there. Same exact step but the uv's were kept.

EDIT: actually importing also did something similar with my uv's except it destroys it

Celshader
06-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Have you both tried enabling OBJ ZBrush Mode to see if this fixes the import problem? Because enabling this mode fixed LW10.0 OBJ exports to Maya on my end.

It's off by default in both Layout and Modeler. In Modeler and Layout, type "o" to bring up the General Options/Preferences panel. Click the OBJ tab and enable OBJ ZBrush Mode.

geo_n
06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Could be the reason why I'm not able to use the I/O geometry cache with 3dmax and lightwave
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120022

OBJ ZBrush Mode is on by default in layout.

prometheus
06-17-2011, 12:33 AM
works fine with me, exporting from solidworks/deep exploration to obj format and in to lightwave, vertex normals stays intact, but I donīt use texture export.

build (2067)

Michael

Netvudu
06-17-2011, 03:09 AM
Ok. Youīre right Jen (again). That did the trick.
I still canīt get Houdini groups as parts, which did work in the past, but at least the point order is respected.

Thanks.

evilemil
07-24-2011, 03:12 AM
I had to import an OBJ model in LW from some unknown source and only had luck in 9.6.
in 10.0 and 10.1 the model came in incorrect/incomplete and the UVs were completely broken.
I also tested with various settings in the OBJ options, without any luck.

Someone from the devs should have a look at this.

prometheus
07-24-2011, 07:35 AM
I had to import an OBJ model in LW from some unknown source and only had luck in 9.6.
in 10.0 and 10.1 the model came in incorrect/incomplete and the UVs were completely broken.
I also tested with various settings in the OBJ options, without any luck.

Someone from the devs should have a look at this.

That might the problem within itself, you really need to know what source obj you are using preferably, do not expect it to work flawlessly otherwise.

I understand thou that you might be frustrated since it seem to have worked with lw 9.6

Michael

Rayek
07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok. Youīre right Jen (again). That did the trick.
I still canīt get Houdini groups as parts, which did work in the past, but at least the point order is respected.

Thanks.

You may want to try Accutrans to convert obj files to Lighwave, and see if that solves your problems - it has saved me a lot of work in past projects.

http://www.micromouse.ca

Netvudu
07-24-2011, 02:02 PM
I was able to solve it a few weeks ago. The issue comes from Houdini allowing one primitive (poly) to belong to several groups, while LW doesnīt allow the same thing for Parts. So the trick to make it work is to get sure that polys only have one group and then it seems to arrive LW safely as parts.

evilemil
07-24-2011, 02:35 PM
That might the problem within itself, you really need to know what source obj you are using preferably, do not expect it to work flawlessly otherwise.

I understand thou that you might be frustrated since it seem to have worked with lw 9.6

Michael

To verify the scene, I also imported it into Maya 2011 without any problem (model, UVs, Texture paths were intact..).
Technically I can work around the issue (thanks to LW 9.6 and Home User Licenses for Maya & 3dsMax), but it creates some frustration on my side, that fundamental things get broken over the implementation of new features for LW 10 and above.

dblincoe
07-24-2011, 02:56 PM
To verify the scene, I also imported it into Maya 2011 without any problem (model, UVs, Texture paths were intact..).
Technically I can work around the issue (thanks to LW 9.6 and Home User Licenses for Maya & 3dsMax), but it creates some frustration on my side, that fundamental things get broken over the implementation of new features for LW 10 and above.

All of these little bugs in the import/export of the obj format scares me. It is the backbone for a lot of transfer between LW and other applications. It is really the only bridge to other apps and now the bridge seems a little shaky. Hope they get the bugs out.

MarcusM
08-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone,

It looks like I found way to export correctly *.obj from LW 10.1
I change "," to "." in regional settings but probably this does not have matter.

In Modeler:
1.OBJ ZBrush mode
2.File->Save Object As->write file name and extension ".obj"
3."Send Object To Layout"

In Layout:
1.File->Save->Object->Save All Objects

In Zbrush 4.0 just import *.obj

UV maps from LW are correct in Zbrush.