PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10 destroying Window config and registery?

marchermitte
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Hello! This is a very serious matter... Since I installed Lightwave 10, I got very serious problems. I can use lightwave for a couple of times and all a sudden my window desktop image changed to default, none of my licenses work anymore (softwares hang up when starting or ask me to enter a license and then don't save It and keep asking for It), missing icones all over the place. Restoring my system to prior the Lightwave 10 installation get everything back to normal. At first I thought It was just a coicindence, but As soon as I reinstall Lightwave 10, I get the same problem again. Lightwave 9.x never gave me any trouble. Using a I7 machine with Win 7 64. Till now I restored my computer 4 times. Everything runs fine until I try to re-install Lightwave 10.
Other than that, I also tried running Lightwave 10 on my Win XP 64. Ran fine for a moment but now ask me for a Color table (.es) file and the whole interface is messed up (colorwise) and unreadable. Lightwave 10.1 runs fine on that Win xp 64 machine.
I need some help!!!

CGI_Artist
06-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Shots in the dark here but have you checked your hard disk for errors? Do you know if your registry has been corrupted? Have you run a virus scan?

marchermitte
06-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Yes, I have (virus + HD scan), And like I said, everything runs fine until I install Lightwave 10. I'm running 9.5 on the same machine and never had a problem. As soon as I install LW 10, all the softwares become slow to start (hang for a long time as if they had crashed) and finally the whole system get nuts. Last time I de-insalled Lightwave 10 and restored win 7 to a previous backup, nothing happened for weeks. It took me time to connect the lightwave 10 installation with the problem. (hard to believe in fact)
Plus Lightwave 10 is messed up on my Win xp 64 machine, re-installing didn't solve the problem. (asking for the color table ? (.es file) when starting and black interface with funky red icones.)

Elmar Moelzer
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
LW10 is not compatible with WinXP 64 anymore. I am not sure why that decision was made, though.
Check the system requirements before installing new software.
It should still not mess up your registry though. That seems odd to me.

marchermitte
06-15-2011, 05:46 PM
The registry is messed up on my Win 7 64 machine... registry or whatever It alters, It's for good. Like I said, none of my license is kept and I can't even re-enter them (photoshop, after fx, etc.)
For win xp, It ran fine for a while. And 10.1 still runs perfectly on It. Like I said I only experience problems (on both machine) with Lightwave 10.0, even if they're not the same troubles.

Elmar Moelzer
06-15-2011, 06:12 PM
It does seem really odd. LW does not use the same licensing mechanism as the other software you mentioned. So it should in theory not interfere with those at all.

marchermitte
06-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Plus I always redirect my config files in the lightwave directory. Like I said, It's hard to believe but I really connected Lightwave 10 installation with the problem. I might have another problem and lightwave installation just brings It up, I don't know. At that point I'm considering re-installing Win 7 from scratch.

3DGFXStudios
06-16-2011, 03:24 AM
LW10 is not compatible with WinXP 64 anymore. I am not sure why that decision was made, though.
Check the system requirements before installing new software.
It should still not mess up your registry though. That seems odd to me.

Yes it is. It runs fine here on winxp x64!

kalero
06-16-2011, 07:48 AM
For many of us, I suspect, Lightwave is the most demanding app on our systems. As such, it seems to be most likely to trigger underlying problems. There seems to be a post here every couple of months to this same effect, that resolves into some other hardware or Windows issue. I'd run a thorough memory checker & scandisk first. Malwarebytes...

safetyman
06-16-2011, 07:58 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Lightwave has a very small registry footprint. It doesn't intertwine itself all throughout your system like some other programs do. We have several folks at different locations who are running 10 with no problems at all. I find it difficult to believe LW is the problem, but I'm not saying you're wrong, either.

Hieron
06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
1: pc getting messed up. No idea, that is weird. LW is very low on registry etc footprint etc. Perhaps this is related to:
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119015&highlight=corruption

In any case. After restore install a pure LW10. Do not install any non-native plugins whatsoever, and try to see if that messes it up. If not, it is not LW10 itself. LW10 itself over time doing anything to your OS is weird. Even if XP is not supported.

2: That one is easy, yet annoying. You are in the 10.1 beta I'm sure and saved a scene there, then loaded in 10. 10.1 does (did?) save some wrong info that 10 does not understand and it starts messing up. Manually cleaning your 10.1 saved scene file to take out anything concerning colorspace/tables and doing the same for your modeler and layout configs will fix this. Been there, done that.

Elmar Moelzer
06-16-2011, 09:11 AM
My steps: If you have LW10 already installed on another system, then install just the latest dongle drivers (the thing having the deepest effect on your system compared to anything else that LW does) and then see whether that does something-> could be a bad driver version.
If not, then simply mirror the installation from the other computer over by simply copying and pasting it to the same path. Copy everything over, including the shortcut. That way pretty much nothing gets written into your registry.

marchermitte
06-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Thank you guys for your advices...
I'll try some of your ideas and see where It goes. Right now I'm freaked out and afraid to loose another day on the problem, so I'm going to finish my work on the working LW 10.1 version on my win xp machine and I'll spend the week end on the problem.
I'll let you know if I find a fix!

lardbros
06-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Sounds 100% like malware to me. Not a programmer, but maybe it's piggybacking on the LW hub or something that is running and causing the hard-drive failure fake malware thing?!

I've been running 10.0 and 10.1 since release, with no issues like this. Hope you find the problem... it sounds very serious indeed!

lino.grandi
06-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Sure you don't have Maya installed too? :D

Seriously, LightWave is the less system "invasive" software you can install. I really think your problems come from some other reason.

marchermitte
06-20-2011, 03:23 AM
I hear you Lino, I never had to complain before and I know I even happened to copy the whole lightwave folder to another computer and had It working perfectly witout even running the install again. But like I said I did restore my system 4 or 5 times and have Win 7 run smoothly until I decide to re-install LW 10. (even after 2-3 weeks without a glitch ). Then I get this system "crash" right after using Lightwave, no restarting, nothing. Lightwave crashes once and then the whole Win 7 seems corrupted. I'm not saying this is a Lightwave only issue, there is a problem with LW 10 that might be triggered by something else. I just know when I'm sick 4 or 5 times only after eating one specific mushrooms, I start thinking that that mushroom might be the cause.
BTW running a restore with Win 7 is not enough, I need to do a complete system recovery to get Win 7 work like before Lw 10 installation.
Plus I do run LW 10 on a win xp 64 machine without problem (apparently the color table thing when starting would come from both 10 and 10.1 beeing installed on the same computer)

JohnMarchant
06-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Also check with sentinel as the drivers they are using are more up todate than the ones that come with LW ive noticed

speismonqui
07-07-2011, 09:42 PM
like this?
no, it's not a new theme for Lightwave, is just the .es file color table missing

Im running malwarebytes right now.

marchermitte, have you find out what is this? how to solve this issue?

funk
07-08-2011, 02:25 AM
like this?
no, it's not a new theme for Lightwave, is just the .es file color table missing

See this post for your answer
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120570

speismonqui
07-10-2011, 09:56 PM
See this post for your answer
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120570

Tnx, I'll take a look.
Wow, this really is a great community :thumbsup:

marchermitte
07-20-2011, 03:50 AM
like this?

Unfortunatly. no. I opened a scene file saved on another computer and It's sibling saved on one of the drives that have been corrupted. On one side you can read the text file normally, listing all the plugins, keyframes, etc. The corrupted drives shows an unreadable text with wierd signs (like the chinese websites when you don't have the language pack install, but worst!)
Every single data on those drives (5 To) have been corrupted in a snap of the fingers... never heard of something similar ever. I'm not re-installing Lightwave 10 on that machine... I'm using LW 9.6 and It runs fine.

Oleeblood
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes, this is 100% Lightwave 10 error... omg... no support anymore...

Here is a file which encoded with LW Modeler:

b)Ťę5D%ŁwxAo=ZU;/IŚĂ G J9z9g9ĹŞĂ
ˇ MĚdm,?QĘV˘&eŤ?Qz6=ŁpĂ)ć;˘ş|E/Q=Ż%P˛Şj9G,˘?RHuŐĚ0PDMőcŮeiđ(Vŕ3Ř ߈XYű3ŁKX9-wUň@řYP
'ĂZźźe3oR`Y)2 şMŹz8oŐwAVJg3ŹĐđţŢ]=ď#RV1L-[email protected]ŤůŻY,đENZ`ůę
jt!łO1YŞ~$KŢC6ĐŹG$t˙\kQ**ă4 .OŘ|ŚĚm
8FeĂ)*nc22ue: +ń+:D5$> 4!,&Ę%Ě"kcřđTňĄ* *źţ9#HmŻĺVR#F}d|=ŚŮq˘ŐC&P/AGŹkŤ
*PĚpfMńďgzđĎJX ęo-?KO
1)GPąćVŚ/ vGę.s'"Ěő=jE=Żz%*gtŞŚŕk1ˇ=<*Đwŕ>
Ňh[-J,ćąęLz^ĹoKŇůĎśf[ę FĂńć<Śֶąk})˞ż~[Şz|ľZ>2q?ultpż~ěŹ*˙ńS˛&(űľP®PťąťłH0pĂ[ňHCr˛4Xĺ)ŞčŰ- AĄ@|ĚESŞNz˝˝ű3˛6WŮŃ|4*< 5ţ}Ętě
3eT
*Ă4ń\ďSHŚWĐBlŁPţŔKP]@.?d@Yp gŕźQ5ć8năEć`03Cv?ŃłAqŢčl9Aii$ ď ęĘŢą|ŁTňşitŚ6ů==ą$P3IŞĐj
ČvK"ČąśľěI%c%ˇWeĚAę
đŢ%LR1'Ş# ň+X9?Ň:ěRqwlFAę0.Ď .|+q,= ĹniG2"żPŇ]{ěqĄ:8ˇnnĆ&?vdb!Đ}ůlp złŹđb|Qđ=pcČ:|eHQłŐ8Ĺ78`<9<?rOŰ?Ş)zsńĂ
Ą0${ď%JsNEzĚ a=|7'ssR>t
˙[email protected]ӫ-sq|Ăąć%BLkJgŹp ż+L=~=-%ě'ČŕD1ĘŐe ľ1>Ż*<Ve"eťź0?g|ĽGťgŔW>!`ŢSaŮlńN˛oj˘+D7. 0iľĂXśήŤĄg%˙ĚţŁˇH-yV6 &?ݙ_ICءx˝6$*W}ř)")ń/<M]1H!g?Ůr?)(ĺĽ 2<6ţŔIVś n8ĘŐŃ\y&ŻFZJUŔe;XRŕtňďH?Ĺ] Łb<ś%:Ţ|v

If you see your files like this, you're in trouble... :( Do sysbackup every day !!!

I replaced everything before (and after) test (new HDD, new windows !!! etc...)
I don't now from where comes this error, but it appears after starting LW (Modeler or Layout). It was tested in standalone (-0) and isolated (-i) mode too with same result...
LW 10.1 2161 / Win 7 Prof 64bit

JonW
12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
LW10 has been the most stable to date, both Layout & Modeler on my computers, & all 6 are running XP 64 bit. It's been a pleasure to use. LW11 so far is looking really good on the same, XP 64.

Oleeblood
12-15-2011, 05:21 PM
LW10 has been the most stable to date, both Layout & Modeler on my computers, & all 6 are running XP 64 bit. It's been a pleasure to use. LW11 so far is looking really good on the same, XP 64.

Thanks the advice, but I haven't support for xp64...:( I tested 9.6.1 with same result... hmm, interesting... I had this problem after I had bought LW, weren't probs before...
I have no more ideas...

JonW
12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Have you checked the ram 1 stick at a time & tried some different slots.

Oleeblood
12-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Have you checked the ram 1 stick at a time & tried some different slots.

Yes i did... RAM, HDD, OS from home to prof was changed...

JonW
12-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Maybe download LW again so you start with a new copy!

I always have an uninstalled copy of the download file ready to go on the HD which I have reinstalled a few times in the past. It's really quick to reinstall especially from an SSD & easy to do.

Oleeblood
12-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Hi guys... after 48 hrs of test, I found the right solution, that works for me...
The problem was the high number of "Hard fault/sec" (the error number between windows VM (disk) and physical RAM)...

So the resolution:

1. Disable windows Virtual Memory
2. Completely uninstall LW and remove all config files (from users\~username\.Newtek folder)
3. Reboot
4. Reinstall LW and enjoy :)

Thanks for all help.

Regards,
Oleeblood

JonW
12-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I have VM turned off on all my boxes. But if you want/need it on keep min & max the same size.