PDA

View Full Version : Botched launch

hazmat777
06-15-2011, 01:13 AM
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/rationalizing_the_irrational.shtml

Photography based, but worth a look even for those not inclined to the art/tech.

biliousfrog
06-15-2011, 03:00 AM
Oh dear.

I liked the sound of the SD1 and seriously considered it when it was announced but there's no way that it's a $2000+ camera. Even if it was an amazing camera it is limited by the lenses it can use...ie. Sigma. I've had Sigma lenses and they're quite decent at the high end but even my excellent 24-70 2.8 couldn't keep up with my 5Dmk2's sensor, I had to switch to L lenses. As any photographer will know a camera is generally only as good as the glass...and Sigma glass ranges from poor to good, rarely excellent.

Amurrell
06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Plus Sigmas usually have a very soft focus unless you are using a fairly tight aperture, at least in my experience, which totally messes with sharp low-light photography.

Andyjaggy
06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I've always been interested in Sigma's technology, but that price is ridiculous. Any image quality advantages their unique sensor might impart could be better matched with spending that $9,700 on some killer lenses and a much more reasonably priced body.

hazmat777
06-15-2011, 04:21 PM
I agree, I was hoping for a "true" digital camera (one that captured each color at every sensor) but this is just insane. I think for now I'll stick with my Nikon F4s and having my film scanned. Much more affordable!:thumbsup: