PDA

View Full Version : Align Perspective Viewport with Polygon Normal?

probiner
06-13-2011, 09:53 AM
I noticed lately i do a lot of stuff in modeler in perspective viewport, but that i have to eyeball the alignment with some reference polys normal.

My question is if there is a way to do this? Looked in LWplugindB and nothing

I know construction plane is the best way to go, but cplane in LW, unlike other apps, can be naggy to use all the time in small specific rountines.

Once aligne i can right click the 'rotate' icon in the viewport and Bank the viewport until it's where i want.

Cheers

Sensei
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
LWSDK doesn't have any commands to read and edit viewports in Modeler, so writing such plugin is impossible.

probiner
06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
And this thread is dead.
Ty for the response sensei.

JeffrySG
06-13-2011, 11:32 AM
http://www.ats-3d.com/cplane/cplane.htm

cplane will kind of do what you need in a round about way....

probiner
06-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I know construction plane is the best way to go, but cplane in LW, unlike other apps, can be naggy to use all the time in small specific rountines.

Busted :P

Cplane is great, but since it's not native, it reversal can work bad and you risk to not be able to go back (easy to prevent though). And use it for fast multiple routines is not that friendly, since 2 clicks can become 10 and that times the routines.

Cheers mate

Sensei
06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think so it's good solution- rotating back and forth will introduce floating point errors, and when you had locations like 0,0,0 or so nicely snapped to grid, after using such tool, you will have them offset by few microns or so.
It might mean symmetry is screwed, technical models are not anymore matching etc.

thomascheng
06-13-2011, 01:41 PM
I believe LWCAD has something similar to a construction plane that will work well.

jeric_synergy
06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
FWIW, I'm with Probiner: a native "Align Perspective to Normal" would be incredibly handy.

JeffrySG
06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Busted :P

Cplane is great, but since it's not native, it reversal can work bad and you risk to not be able to go back (easy to prevent though). And use it for fast multiple routines is not that friendly, since 2 clicks can become 10 and that times the routines.

Cheers mate

lol, I totally missed that! :D

Personally I like the view>align to selection option in Wings3d if you don't have construction planes.

Lewis
06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
you could try "Jetto Local"

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=265998d4