PDA

View Full Version : Colors inverted in animation

kalero
06-13-2011, 08:05 AM
If I render a still of my scene, it looks as I'd expect, but when I render an animation, the colors appear to be inverted. (that's my best guess about what's happening)

That makes me think it's an issue in my render globals? (rather than the camera) This is only my 3rd shot at rendering something outside of books & tutorials, so I'm not familiar with most of the options. But nothing I change seems to have an effect.

I'm hoping this is something simple & familiar that rings a bell for someone. Happy to post any details that might help.

Danner
06-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Sounds like a codec issue... by the way you should never render out as an animation, always render as an image sequence, that way you can stop/start/rerender/correct/replace any frames that would need some tweaking. Once you have the image sequence use a compositing or editing package to make the animation, you will have many more codec choices as well as a ton interactive image editing/correcting tools.

kalero
06-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Gah, I knew that, too - once. But had forgotten, it's been so long. Thanks!

Now to remember what app and file types I was using. Sometimes I wish I felt ok pirating stuff so I could just use aftereffects like everyone else - it sounds so easy that way. ;)

Danner
06-13-2011, 12:03 PM
In this vast swamp of spyware, malaware and spam called the internet, you can find a few free aplications for copositing.

Blender has a compositing side to it and there is also CineFX for a dedicated open source option. There are probably others too.

dwburman
06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
You can also use LW itself to assemble frames into movie files as well.

I've seen the colors invert in movie files before. Like Danner said, it's probably a codec thing.

Dexter2999
06-13-2011, 01:50 PM
To belabor the point,
Render your output as an image sequence
Clear the scene and load the image sequence as your backdrop in compositing options
Make sure your cleared scene has the same number of frames as your image sequence
Make sure under Image Editor that the Image Type is set to "Sequence"
Make sure your camera settings are correct
Then change the render output from image sequence to the anim file of choice

This will assemble the image sequence very quickly as there is no geometry or radiosity needed after the fact.

Personally, I wish this whole process would be a standard automated feature that users could perform by just clicking a checkbox under the render options.

kalero
06-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks everybody! I grabbed CineFX, so I can probably get rid of the 5 others I was trying to make work.

Really appreciate your step-by-step, Dexter - they've gone into my notes file, since I'll invariably forget one of those steps until I've done it a dozen times... ;) I'm surprised it's not a standard feature, as well - I wonder if it's a scriptable process? I could use a good rainy day project.

dwburman
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I probably should've mentioned this in my earlier post, but I did make a little tutorial on how to use lightwave to assemble frames into a movie fileClick Here (http://dwburman.com/tutorials/lightwave/10-lw-image-sequence-to-movie-files.html) to see the tutorial.

I should probably redo it, since this version doesn't have voice over and doesn't show how to render clips with an alpha channel.