PDA

View Full Version : TXD850 media files not compatible

Garah
06-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I found the recoded clips can not playback from the build in window media player in the Tricaster itself, and doesn't work at my other computers too. It only can playback from DDR and SpeedEdit. I have tried to playback my previous recorded clips and all playback fine, only the clips recoded in this couple of weeks with such problem. Please help.

DrVideo
06-15-2011, 09:52 AM
This has been asked and answered a number of times on the forums.
The best answer I got was to think of the Tricaster as a HD video switcher.

Don't use the built-in non-standard formats and save yourself lots of time and effort. The AJA KI Pro seems to be a good solution to the problem.

http://www.aja.com/products/kipro/ki-pro-mini/ki-pro-mini-description.php

SBowie
06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm not 100% sure why it would be important to play clips in WMP, since working in Windows on a TriCaster is deliberately discouraged; but setting that aside, the standard profile MPEG-2 captures do play just fine on my laptop - even across my network from TriCaster.

This suggests that the matter may just involve a codec, perhaps something not included for licensing reasons. I'm not sure about this, and it certainly might be counter-recommended to add a codec to TC .... but at least one could use a networked system for previewing. I will check further.

SBowie
06-15-2011, 01:44 PM
OK, took a little effort (thank Andrew), but here's the deal: For TCXD850 and 850 EXTREME, WMP will play the standard profile MPEG-2 files, but not the High Profile ones (take that up with Microsoft, please :) ). Vista and XP do not have a native MPEG-2 codec, which is why TriCaster and SE can play the files but WMP cannot on TCXD300's running Vista, and SD systems on XP.

It is not advisable to add codecs to the latter systems, but it should be possible to get a garden variety workstation to play the standard ones, at least. There are free MPEG-2 codecs around ...

Garah
06-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Thanks all the answers, what is the different to recod in 'high profile fomat' and standard format?

SBowie
06-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Thanks all the answers, what is the different to recod in 'high profile fomat' and standard format?For 850, this is explained in Section 11.1.1 of the manual, under the sub-heading "Quality".

brwainer
06-17-2011, 05:42 AM
High profile format is the best quality you can get without going uncompressed, at the cost of a high data rate and possible application incompatibilities.

High Profile (IIRC) is 4:4:4, all i-frame MPG2. Standard is 4:2:2, and I'm not sure whether it uses B or P frames. Standard is also at a lower bitrate. Your manual should have specifications.

SBowie
06-17-2011, 06:10 AM
High Profile (IIRC) is 4:4:4, all i-frame MPG2. Standard is 4:2:2, and I'm not sure whether it uses B or P frames. Standard is also at a lower bitrate.I'm sorry, I know you said IIRC (and ultimately referred our friend to the manual), and no harm done ... but almost everything in that second sentence is a bit shaky. (As the manual doesn't specify, I'll add that both profiles have a nominal bitrate of 100 Mbps, but being VBR will often be somewhat lower in actuality depending on the nature of the imagery).