PDA

View Full Version : Proportional Editing or Soft Edit...?

rcallicotte
06-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Does Lightwave have an equivalent to Blender's Proportional Editing? Proportional Editing is like a soft edit, where it's possible to grab one or more points, edges or polygons to softly (like a sponge) move the pixels around for more organic type modeling. This isn't like a zBrush or 3D Coat. It's just easier to get more uniformity within the mesh.

Any equivalents?

JeffrySG
06-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Not exactly sure what you're looking for but maybe try out the Drag-Net tool. Modify>Translate
It might do what you are looking for. There are a few different options in the Numeric panel as well.

hrgiger
06-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Tools have falloffs which will give you a soft edit type of result. Take the move tool for example. Select the falloff type in the numerica panel while the tool is active. Use right click to draw out your falloff size and adjust its properties in the numeric panel. Moving vertices now will be determined by the falloff.

UnCommonGrafx
06-12-2011, 07:41 AM
HR's example is perfect.
Perfect in that it points out broader opportunities.
Jeffrey stated what I would have said.
If you combine both of the above answers, you see that most every tool offers what you ask for.

rcallicotte
06-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Great! Thanks for the answers. It looks like working smarter with the tools in Lightwave is based on general understanding of 3D and (of course) Lightwave. Nice to see this - logical!

jeric_synergy
06-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm always amazed how few people know about Falloff. Newtek should really emphasize that feature more.

+++
Sometimes the FALLOFF behaviour is dependent on Viewport Viewing options too. (Sounds crazy, but it does make sense.)

EG:

Make a default sphere.
Activate the MOVE tool
In the Numeric panel (hit 'n'), set the falloff to POLYGON
Set one viewport to WIREFRAME, and another to SOLID WIRE

In the SOLID WIRE viewport, you can click on the MIDDLE of a poly and move it.
In the WIREFRAME viewport, you must click on a POINT to move the polys, which is a slightly different effect. For one thing, you're always moveing more than one poly.

Anyway, there's no way you can't benefit from becoming familiar with FALLOFF.

wrench
06-12-2011, 02:52 PM
The problem is that a lot of people in my experience work without the Numeric panel open all the time, meaning they don't even see the falloff options.

B

lightmann
06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Anyway, there's no way you can't benefit from becoming familiar with FALLOFF.

Indeed the falloff and numerical panel are one of the most powerful features in modeler.

jeric_synergy
06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
The problem is that a lot of people in my experience work without the Numeric panel open all the time, meaning they don't even see the falloff options.
B
Even in the old 1-screen days I kept it open: it's just too useful to close.

For organic modelers, the ability to nudge and tweak polys in MOVE:Polygon mode is huge.

hrgiger
06-13-2011, 05:49 AM

B

Thanks from the inspiration from Lewis, I keep my modeler setup like this all the time. My numeric, statistics, and layers panel are open all the time on the side.

JeffrySG
06-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks from the inspiration from Lewis, I keep my modeler setup like this all the time. My numeric, statistics, and layers panel are open all the time on the side.

Yep, I have all three open all the time. (on the right though)
I couldn't imagine working without them open. :)

rcallicotte
06-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks guys. This is such good information.

biliousfrog
06-13-2011, 07:05 AM

Same here, it's just a shame that they don't dock properly as the windows take up valuable real estate.

The numeric, statistics and layers windows are incredibly useful...particularly for swapping between and naming layers and for quickly loading selections via the surface name

Lewis
06-13-2011, 08:22 AM

Heheh yeah that would be really slow(er) workflow without those open :).

jeric_synergy
06-13-2011, 02:03 PM
This layout is very similar to what Jonny Gordon espouses in his excellent books on character creation, modeling, and rigging (http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-Cartoon-Character-Creation-Texturing/dp/155622253X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307995340&sr=8-2), (although like Jeffry he sets it up on the right side).

I can't recommend them enough: they are outstanding. :thumbsup:

++++++

B
I think we see this a lot with Mayans coming over to LW: not understanding how these simple, dare I say 'elegant'?, features are subtly salted throughout the interface.

Lewis
06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I did explain in my tutorial why i keep it on LEFT side, basically since i use default left side buttons (you can switch them to right if you wish) i like to have all on left side then 'coz that way my mouse makes/hand less kilometers = faster workflow, especially on large screen resolutions ;). But it looks nicer if buttons are on left and panels on right so if you are for the looks over speed then that option is good also :D :D.

jeric_synergy
06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
But it looks nicer if buttons are on left and panels on right so if you are for the looks over speed then that option is good also :D :D.
OOooooo, SNAP! Nice burn! :beerchug:

Since I have all the hotkeys memorized, I never use the buttons anyway. >8^P

Lewis
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
OOooooo, SNAP! Nice burn! :beerchug:

Since I have all the hotkeys memorized, I never use the buttons anyway. >8^P

I'm shortcut guy also but you can't make shortcuts for all the tools (even if you use CTRL+shift+key for some which is really not intuitive/easy) especially if you use 3rd party tools in modeler and i use more than 25 of these too) 'coz simply there is no enough keys on keyboard to shortcut all the Lw modeler plugins/lscripts and rest of what modeler is made of (read patched together :)).

So i shortcut most used tools and leave only few less used but still used occasionally (only LWcad has so many tools almost like LW itself, then 15 pictrix plugins, then Heatpress, ko_pointfit, Thickener, Taz_Pipe, Jetto_local......... ) on buttons or popup menus :). Sometime i use it even without button menu/bar to get more screen space but when i tutor that way newbies are very "scared" to watch it ;).

JeffrySG
06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
But it looks nicer if buttons are on left and panels on right so if you are for the looks over speed then that option is good also :D :D.

I think I always put them on the right as it seemed natural to me in a similar way that Photoshop has the tools on left and layers on right, etc. But it totally makes sense regarding the less Km. :)

jeric_synergy
06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
More seriously, since the mouse is all over the general interface anyway, manipulating points & polys, I don't think it actually spends more time on one side or the other. It would be interesting to actually test though, with some kind of "mouse odometer".

And, I'd be scared to try to learn with the buttons turned off too. >;^)