PDA

View Full Version : Hot Ocean V.S Nature fx ocean shader?

prometheus
06-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Anyone worked with both of them? and what do you think, nature fxīs ocean shader isnīt developed more as I know of, but it had itīs shining moments on some major blockbuster movies.

Now how does the hot ocean plugin stand up against the nature fx shader, apart from being free and probably easier to work with I wonder if the actuall shading of the water surfaces holds up, I might be wrong here, but I think the nature fx shader had built in ocean surfaces to match real life water as opposed to hot ocean wich is more a displacement plugin without a good shader for the surface?

Michael

dballesg
06-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Hot Ocean is a displacement plugin, and a Displcaement and Texture node as well.

You can use the HOT Ocean node on a nodal setup on the texture editor so you can use the Foam and spray outputs as masks and create your own shading.

David

prometheus
06-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Hot Ocean is a displacement plugin, and a Displcaement and Texture node as well.

You can use the HOT Ocean node on a nodal setup on the texture editor so you can use the Foam and spray outputs as masks and create your own shading.

David

Yeah I know some of that, as I understand it thou, thereīs no preset surface in hot ocean to match the prebuilt realism ocean surface within naturefx with itīs murky and transparency settings, so that will need some work to get right I guess, I believe the nature fx shader had a lof of default settings for the great shader..even sunglitter on the surface.

I believe that nature fx evolved in to arete and psunami and renderworld?
and that the lightwave plugins were abandoned?

Michael

dballesg
06-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah I know some of that, as I understand it thou, thereīs no preset surface in hot ocean to match the prebuilt realism ocean surface within naturefx with itīs murky and transparency settings, so that will need some work to get right I guess, I believe the nature fx shader had a lof of default settings for the great shader..even sunglitter on the surface.

No there is not. But had a search on the forums for Ocean Surface, there are quite afew ones floating around that you can combine with HOT.

Aside Shaders have the problem they can't be rendered with 3rd Parties like FPrime, Kray and I believe VPR itself.

I believe that nature fx evolved in to arete and psunami and renderworld?
and that the lightwave plugins were abandoned?

Michael

IIRC was the other way around, Nature FX was the LW version of Arete and co.

David

dwburman
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Most shaders do work in VPR.

dballesg
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Most shaders do work in VPR.

Thanks for the clarification.

But still they aren't supported on FPrime or Kray.

David

erikals
06-12-2011, 03:26 PM
not sure how far Ogo Waves can be pushed, might be an option,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fntgaQUXSP8