PDA

View Full Version : LW9.6 Universal Binary "beta" for Mac Crashes on dual monitor

Spinland
06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Running a 17" 2010 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and OS 10.6.7. I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display attached. I'm using the 9.6 "beta" Universal Binary, as that seems to be the most current version available to me and I was told by tech support to use that instead of the 9.6 CFM so as to be compatible with the Poser Fusion plugin.

The problem is, any time I move the LW window (either Layout or Modeler) to the Cinema Display, it crashes as soon as I try to do anything (even just open a file). If I leave the window in the built-in 17" display it stays open until I'm done and try to close it normally, at which time it gives me a crash report after closing.

Is there a setting change, or a patch or an update available I can apply to correct this?

Thanks in advance.

Markc
06-12-2011, 04:12 AM
The 9.6 build is not 'beta' and should be pretty stable, are you sure your not using 9.6.1? (which is beta).
The CFM version wouldn't work on your machine, it is designed for PowerPC macs (so tech support didn't give you good advice).

3dworks
06-12-2011, 05:57 AM
latest poserfusion system requirements:

Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6 only
Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
Poser Pro 2010
LightWave 3D 9.6, 9.6.1 (32-bit, Mac OS X [Mach-O/UB version only], Windows)
LightWave 3D 9.6 (64-bit, Windows only), 9.6.1 (64-bit, OS X [Mach-O/UB version only], Windows)

latest poserfusion 2010 LW plugin was released about march 2011.

not sure about your dual screen setup issues, but there have been some problems and known bugs with this especially on mac with 9.6.1 - and they have been fixed only in 10.x. unfortunately, 9.6.1 has not been officially released and there are a few threads on this forum about this.

hope that helps...

rsfd
06-12-2011, 06:10 AM
For LW 9.x on OSX you will most likely find yourself in the situation that you need to install at least the official 9.6 Universal Binary build (which is 32-bit only) and additionally the 9.6.1 UB build (#1553 or #1555) fort 64-bit support.

LW 9 cycle is closed by these builds, you will not get any more bug fixes or patch updates.

LW 9 sadly has become a patchwork release for all Mac users, you will need to find out which build does what without issues.

For your Monitor issue: afair, it is a known but not fixed issue of 9.6.1

Spinland
06-12-2011, 06:36 AM
I was inaccurate, the beta I'm using is 9.6.1. I called the other version CFM because that's the name of the folder the install DVD created for that version when I installed it. It seemed to run okay except for the inability to support Poser Fusion.

Reading the above, the 9.6 UB is actually supposed to work with Poser Fusion? The Smith Micro tech told me I had to use 9.6.1.

Sounds like short of buying 10 I'm screwed?

ETA: does anyone even know whether 10 supports Poser Fusion 2011?

Spinland
06-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Okay, in the chance this helps anybody:

The first thing I tried this morning was to have the MacBook Pro display shut down, using only the attached Cinema Display as a single monitor. 9.6.1 worked just fine in that case.

Then, just to check, I tried having both displays open again but swapped, so the Cinema Display was the primary. 9.6.1 not only worked fine on the Cinema Display, I was able to drag it over the the "secondary" MacBook Pro display and it didn't crash there, either.

It only seems to freak out when the MacBook Pro is the primary, the Cinema is the secondary, and you drag it to the Cinema.

For whatever that's worth...

rsfd
06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
As you have a MBP with two Graphics Cards:
Do you have "Automatic Graphics Switching" turned on?
If so, turn it off - this feature often screws up higher end graphics applications.
This *could* be the reason for your troubles with the MBP's monitor set as primary monitor.

Spinland
06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks, that was a good idea. Unfortunately turning it off didn't have any effect on the crashes.

rsfd
06-12-2011, 01:58 PM
d***, would have been nice!

:hey:

Spinland
06-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Yeah, sure would have. Thanks anyway.

One more piece of information: Smith Micro tech support responded to my question last night. According to them, Poser Fusion (Mac) for Lightwave from Poser Pro 2011 is NOT supported in Lightwave 10, only 9.6.1.

Sigh.

Scazzino
06-13-2011, 09:57 AM
... I tried having both displays open again but swapped, so the Cinema Display was the primary. 9.6.1 not only worked fine on the Cinema Display, I was able to drag it over the the "secondary" MacBook Pro display and it didn't crash there, either.

It only seems to freak out when the MacBook Pro is the primary, the Cinema is the secondary, and you drag it to the Cinema.

For whatever that's worth...

Were the right/left locations of the monitors the same or did that change when you changed the primary monitor? In other words was the secondary monitor on the left when it had problems? If so, it could be because that makes the secondary screen coordinates have negative X values, which could be what triggers the problem. Just a thought...

Spinland
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
That's a very interesting idea! I'll try that out as soon as I get time.