PDA

View Full Version : Help with bottle cap

torturebori007
06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
So I am following a tut, and for the life of me I cannot get the cap to come out as his. Now mind you, I did go over this thing about 43 times, yeah I counted about 43 times before I cant think any longer.

attached is a image of my cap, and a image of what my cap needs to look like. I am fairly new to lightwave(no crap!) and well I am trying to get better at this. I just cannot get that milky look or semi opaque. so the black one and the very clear one are mine.

A few questions. Nodes. is there a website or some place I can go to read what each one does? for example, refraction? what is it what does it do and to what? I know its a long shot but im dumber for not asking. But that kind a list.

so if any one can help I would so appreciate. make a oval and make it look the same as the cap im going for, and if you can explain it, please.

thanks

kevman3d
06-10-2011, 09:25 PM
So, I'm guessing the white cap on the end is yours, and that middle one is what you're looking for?

The black one just looks like its possibly probably refracting a black backdrop colour (as in the environment colour found in the Windows > Backdrop Options > Backdrop Color (or press CTRL F5). Make sure you set up that colour - I know a lot of people tweak the background using an image map, but that's more as a "fill in the pixels between the 3D objects" thing then a background image for reflection/refraction.

Refraction is basically what happens when you see things through a transparent surface. To get that softer effect you see in the middle image, you will need to set up the refraction with some blurring (if you're looking at the shading one)

However personally, I tend to use the Material > Sigma2 for most my "plasticy" looking stuff as the look is nicer imho. It has the soft look of plastic (and you can specify transparency, etc as well). It probably takes a little more time to process, but nice look...

For something like your one above, you can also consider the Dielectric material as well maybe?

torturebori007
06-11-2011, 06:51 AM
So, I'm guessing the white cap on the end is yours, and that middle one is what you're looking for?

The black one just looks like its possibly probably refracting a black backdrop colour (as in the environment colour found in the Windows > Backdrop Options > Backdrop Color (or press CTRL F5). Make sure you set up that colour - I know a lot of people tweak the background using an image map, but that's more as a "fill in the pixels between the 3D objects" thing then a background image for reflection/refraction.

Refraction is basically what happens when you see things through a transparent surface. To get that softer effect you see in the middle image, you will need to set up the refraction with some blurring (if you're looking at the shading one)

However personally, I tend to use the Material > Sigma2 for most my "plasticy" looking stuff as the look is nicer imho. It has the soft look of plastic (and you can specify transparency, etc as well). It probably takes a little more time to process, but nice look...

For something like your one above, you can also consider the Dielectric material as well maybe?

Yes mine it the one one the left and the far right. And what I want is in the middle. I will try what you have suggested.

Thanks.

XswampyX
06-11-2011, 07:05 AM
You could also try the SSS node.

torturebori007
06-11-2011, 07:45 AM
You could also try the SSS node.

thats exactly what I am looking for...

So can I ask you a question....obviously I know you got that from having experience. But how did you start to learn the nodes? Just by playing around with them? I have been looking for something that might tell me what each node does and what to use it for. That might be a big stretch i know. Any suggestions on how I can learn a bit more.

Thanks

XswampyX
06-11-2011, 08:02 AM
I started doing the speed modeling challenges. You have to model something every week and I try to do all the textures from scratch. You soon pick it up.

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/

The first time I tried this I came up with a texture that took 9 hours to render.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114462

It's now down to about 10 mins.

torturebori007
06-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I started doing the speed modeling challenges. You have to model something every week and I try to do all the textures from scratch. You soon pick it up.

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/

The first time I tried this I came up with a texture that took 9 hours to render.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114462

It's now down to about 10 mins.

funny you should mention that because I have been following that thread for a few months now. And this week is going to be my first entry. Not a good one but a entry none the less...I figured just as well the more I do it the more i learn.

WOW nine hours, well that beat me, I once rendered something for 13 hours a 15 second meteor animation, lol.

torturebori007
06-11-2011, 08:59 AM
good album by the way. And yes, I really liked the can o worms you did this week. I was going to share mine but I couldnt texture it. Like I said texturing wasnt my thing, but I am head deep in it now. modeling is one thing, texturing is a whole other beast.

torturebori007
06-11-2011, 09:00 AM
LOL, but I was just looking at your long render, and my wife is sitting behind and asked why I was looking up bedroom toys, lol, hahaha...I told her stay out of CG business