PDA

View Full Version : Can you use endomorphs with multiple layers?

Stahlsart
06-10-2011, 10:04 AM
I am working on a cartoon character of a cardinal and have the breast on a different layer than the rest of the head so I can use FFX to create the colored feathers. I have a few morphs that need to move the polys in both the red and black layers but when I apply the slider in layout and move any slider, it looks like the head is melting or spikes out in weird directions for other morphs. Is it possible to have 2 or more layers that share morph positions and work?

nickdigital
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Is your subd level set to Last? That might be causing the weird geometry deformations.

Each layer will have to have it's own morph mixer plug-in applied. You would have to tie your morphs together through expressions to get them to animate at the same time.

Stahlsart
06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I do have everything set to last (I thought that could have been the problem myself, but no,..uh uh)

Nick ( or anyone else ) is there any tutorial you know of to show how to do that. I really haven't touched expressions at all to understand it even after reading the manual, it's really deep and my mind gets a little overwhelmed.

Sensei
06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Actually I don't understand where is your problem.
Deformations (so Morph Mixer too) are assigned to items. Each layer is different item. So you should have multiple Morph Mixer instances applied to different items.. Don't touch endomorph sliders not exiting in layer (although it should do nothing, if morphs are correctly made). Instead pick up item where they are, and in corresponding Morph Mixer change slider..

Stahlsart
06-10-2011, 06:38 PM
What I had originally done is made a one object Cardinal, made the morphs, then later, when I found that you can only apply different color FiberFx to different layered items, I cut away the cardinals breast and pasted it into a different layer.
Now, when I apply the morphs, even though the model hasn't moved physically in a x, y or z location when pasted to the new layer, it somehow doesn't know the correct morphing anymore.

The character works that when he smiles, for example, the points in the morph affect the front breast as well as the rest of the head in certain areas, so I have to have a way that when you move the slider for that morph, it correctly affects both parts of the model. I hope that makes more sense what is going on....

nickdigital
06-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Nick ( or anyone else ) is there any tutorial you know of to show how to do that. I really haven't touched expressions at all to understand it even after reading the manual, it's really deep and my mind gets a little overwhelmed.

In the Graph Editor there's an Expression Builder that's really easy to use. Give that a go. Basically you want to link the morph mixer channel from one object to the morph mixer channel of your other object.

jeric_synergy
06-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I think this is a point re-ordering issue (but I could be SO wrong...).

To me, it's always been a bit mysterious WHICH information will survive a cut/paste operation in regards to endormorphing, sometimes it seems to work, sometimes not, sometimes it works when you didn't expect nor want it to work.

Is it the CUT/PASTED points that aren't working anymore? Your post is a bit ambiguous on that, errr, point.

(This comment is a bit disjointed but...) As I understand it (ha!), morphing works by keeping a master list of all points in the object, regardless of their layer. So, short answer: yes, an endomorph does work on multiple layers. Of course, it has to be constructed that way. AND, if you cut/paste, you may lose the 'connection' between the points and their movement (ie, LWM may regard them as new entries to the point list). (The fact that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't is the confusing part, pour moi.)

As to REPAIR: it may be possible to load the old object and use a combination of BACKGROUND TO MORPH and COPY VERTEX MAP to patch up your new multilayered object and salvage your labor, but it might be more work than just starting clean.

Just to spark discussion and maybe correct everything I've gotten wrong here: "Map" is a bit of a misleading misnomer for many of the 'maps' in LW, a lot of the time it is more useful to think of them as LISTS. The various morph LISTS, for instance, can include just subsets of the total set of points. LISTS can be added and appended to other lists, or copied over other lists. --just food for thought.

dwburman
06-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Here's quick tutorial on linking animation channels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aHwXnDZI9E

Stahlsart
06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Thank you sooooo much dw, you made it look real easy to do.... saving the file as I type

Thank you to the rest that responded, that's why I really like using Lightwave, all the helpful people that are part of this community :):):):)