PDA

View Full Version : Per surface antialiasing settings - possible?

AbstractTech3D
06-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Hi There

I have a scene with numerous surfaces on various objects rendering fine with not too much antialiasing. However, 1 particular surface within the scene requires a low antialiasing threshold. It seems a waste of rendering resources to render the whole scene using a low antialiasing threshold - so my question is can I somehow reduce the antialiasing threshold for only that 1 surface?

Perhaps clicking the Envelope button for the threshold parameter, then using channel modify / channel filter node texture(DP Kit I think)…? Not sure where to from there though...

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank-you!

AbstractTech3D
06-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Using 'Channel filter node texture', I've tried using weight maps, and also referencing spot info distance to a null object… but these evaluations don't appear to be working within this nodal context.

So am still looking for a solution...

kevman3d
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
The problem with the AA envelopes is that they are more aimed at AA for the frame on a temporal basis, and not a per-pixel processing function in the render engine itself.

Tricky stuff - you could try tweaking the image filtering, or mipmapping options to soften up/AA the image for the surface (if its an image based surface) rather then the AA options for the camera render?

You could also try an image or pixel filter perhaps to soften up the pixels where that particular surface existed? I know the DPKit Node Image processing have quite a few nice soften, etc filtering effects... Worth a look.

AbstractTech3D
06-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Thanks Kevin!

Am still experimenting, but those are good suggestions!