PDA

View Full Version : Advice on creation of ceiling spotlights, Ies lights etc!

prometheus
06-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Hi there, Ivé just fast browsed through the forums, but canīt really find directly wat Im looking for.

Im working on some interiors right now and could need some help upon aproaching ceiling spot lights...similar to these

http://www.lunarstudio.com/rendering-gallery/image-illustrations/architectural-renderings-commercial-interior/gym-interior-design.jpg

Not sure what to use here, simple spotlights inside small cylinders with lensflare turned on, or use other lights suh as area or spherical lights,

I suppose the best thing is to use Ies lights and I downloaded a couple of librarys for that, but donīt know where to start on how to use them best.

I could need some advice or tute on using the Ies lights thou, so if anyone knows where to look I would be grateful.

Michael

biliousfrog
06-08-2011, 04:14 AM
I usually use spotlights or Denis' floodlight which has soft shadows. I have used IES lights in the past but the massive increase in render times isn't usually a worthy trade off for the clients I'm producing the work for.

I have also just used luminous polygons inside the lights themselves (with GI obviously)...the benefit is that they show in reflections and 'sometimes' can be faster than using area lights.

I'm not sure that there is a single solution, you just need to try a few things and see what works in the time you can allocate.

prometheus
06-08-2011, 04:56 AM
I usually use spotlights or Denis' floodlight which has soft shadows. I have used IES lights in the past but the massive increase in render times isn't usually a worthy trade off for the clients I'm producing the work for.

I have also just used luminous polygons inside the lights themselves (with GI obviously)...the benefit is that they show in reflections and 'sometimes' can be faster than using area lights.

I'm not sure that there is a single solution, you just need to try a few things and see what works in the time you can allocate.

Thanks...yeah that is what I am thinking too...might not be necessary with Ies lights, depends on if they are close to a wall and if you want that nice spread fall off from photometric lights.

Attached are a very early testing of interior..my first ever really..very early..just basicly checking the lighting here, the overal shape of the room and windows etc are to be modified and also what type of gym machines Im to put in there, room, fan is modeled by me..gym machines are finished solidworks constructions except that I remodel cushions on them.

clock are a turbusquid model, but I might do my own, the mirrors will change too.

also a simple first ever ies light spot test are attached, a slight lensflare is activated.

Michael