PDA

View Full Version : SaveTransformed to FBX - or way to automate converting LWO or OBJ sequence to FBX?

3dWannabe
06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I've been able to Save my deformations to an LWO sequence using IL_SaveTSeq.ls.

IL_BatchEdit2.ls will transform these into an OBJ sequence (but not into FBX sequence).

I can use AutoDesk's FBX Converter 2011.3.1 or the newer AutoDesk FBX Converter 2012.1 to convert the OBJ sequence into an FBX sequence .... but neither Lightwave nor Fusion will read these FBX files.

If I open any of the OBJ files in Lightwave 9.6 and export as FBX, Fusion and Lightwave can read them.

Is there a way to "SaveTransformed" to an FBX file from within Lightwave? I might be able to modify some of the .ls source?

Or a way automate converting an LWO or OBJ sequence into an FBX sequence from within Lightwave

Thanks!

Cageman
06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
It is strange that you can not load the resulting FBX files in LW or Fusion. What format do you output in? Binary or Ascii and which version? I think I used 2006 or 2008 in the videotutorial I did.

3dWannabe
06-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I tried 2006, 2009 and 2010 in binary and I also tried ASCII. I also tried without embedding.

I used the same older FBX converter that you did (as well as the latest one), and output the exact same FBX version as I was following your video tutorial as closely as possible.

The only difference is that I was at sub-division level 3 for display and you changed it to 0 to speed things up (of course, I don't have your files to test).

I just tried the FBX in Modo 501 and it opens, and Maya 2011 and 3ds Max 2011 can open the FBX also.

Very perplexing?

As Lightwave can write out an FBX that Fusion CAN read (from the original OBJ file), I'm hoping to figure a way to modify one of the sequence transformation scripts to read in LWO or OBJ and output FBX from Lightwave.

It would also be nice if IL_SaveTSeq.ls, instead of choosing one object from the scene to export, could create an LWO sequence of the entire scene (less any cameras, etc.).

Your technique is very cool and I'm just now getting up to speed with Point Oven to bring in mdd's into Lightwave so that I can use it.

Everything works perfectly except for that very last step (which is no doubt a Fusion bug, but will probably take them months to get around fixing).

Thanks for the cool tutorial!

3dWannabe
06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Ahhh! For some reason, I thought the 2006 and 2009 would be more compatible.

I just tried FBX 2011 and Fusion 6.1 reads it.

However, it does not look the same as an FBX output directly from Lightwave.

The surfaces look very different (dark and lifeless in Fusion) even though the UVs are ok.

I'm including one image showing the output in Fusion with 'light' turned on with the AutoDesk created FBX on the left and Lightwave generated FBX on the right.

And a second image with no light (showing the UVs seem to be mapping the surfaces from UVs ok for both).

I'll have to put my thinking cap on and figure out what is different between the two FBX files?

So close, and yet so far!!!

Thanks!

3dWannabe
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
The problem turned out to be that the Autodesk 2012.1 Converter killed the vertex nomals when converting OBJ to FBX 2011.

I tried MANY previous versions of the AutoDesk FBX converter

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775920

And found that if I used the 2011.2 AND converted to FBX 2011, no embed media, binary, that Fusion can read it and everything works.

Almost every version worked differently??

AutoDesk must have great testing procedures!!!

So, problem solved!!

Cageman
06-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Funny... :D

3dWannabe
06-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Cageman - actually, I found that for the surfaces to be correct, I had to use the FBX converter 2009.3 for FBX 2009 output - which unfortunately runs close to a minute per frame rather than a few seconds per frame for the newer versions.

Some of the other converters almost work, but make subtle changes to the surfaces.

So, I still need to find a way to use Lighwave to convert to an FBX sequence - as I doubt Autodesk will fix the bug in my lifetime.

My only other issue with your Tutorial is that - everything works perfectly, my mesh deforms for each FBX in the sequence just like in the video.

And then I save the comp and re-open it, and get errors like:

FBX Error: unable to import/find mesh "Elmer_000_1" in "D:\ElmerSTS\FBX2009 from 2009.3\Elmer_001.fbx"
Elmer failed at time 1
FBX Error: unable to import/find mesh "Elmer_000_1" in "D:\ElmerSTS\FBX2009 from 2009.3\Elmer_002.fbx"
Elmer failed at time 2

The FBX Mesh 3D gets imported with the ObjectName: Elmer_000_1 - which I cannot change, even if I change the name of the FBX Mesh 3D.

I used your exact script, other than changing the folder name:

MyPadding=3
MyFrameNum=string.format("%0"..MyPadding.."d", time)
ImportFile="D:\\ElmerSTS\\FBX2009 from 2009.3\\Elmer_"..MyFrameNum.. ".fbx"

Thanks!