PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: cheap LW machine for single-thread purposes.

serge
06-06-2011, 05:06 AM
I want to buy a cheap second-hand PC for Lightwave 9.6. Render-power is not important. What is important is rigging and animating displacement (fairly high-poly meshes though). In other words, what would you recommend for single-thread purposes?

It's been a while since I've looked into hardware. I thought I'll buy a fast old single-core processor (i.e. Pentium 4 3.x Ghz), but after some research I understand that you can't simply compare the amount of Ghz anymore to newer processors. :o

I was thinking of spending 200 euro's max (280 dollars), but if there's a significant performance boost to be expected I'm willing to pay a bit more. Pentium-4 systems (around 3 Ghz) are easy to get for under 100 euro's. I've seens E6600 systems for under 200. And I'm currently looking at a E8400 system for 250.

How important is cache-memory and FSB? In certain cases it seems that a higher cache/FSB can outperform a higher Ghz processor of the same type (for example a E8200 vs E7500), but I'm not sure how important that is in my case.

Thanks!