PDA

View Full Version : Was mocap, now greenscreen, mocap and etc

clagman
06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Well my budget has increased to $50k in order to purchase a mocap (probably going to get a phasespace improv system) and microphones, cameras, lighting, greenscreen, and matchmoving soft.

I've pretty much decided on the phasespace system for $20k which leaves me with $25k or so to spend on the rest. Although I have done some work with greenscreening (was blue at the time) I'm not sure about the best place to shop around for components. probably going to require some good lights for both the screen and the actor(s). I plan to get a portable screen and also a 90š job that will more or less be permanent. I also plan to pick up syntheyes for the matchmoving. Any suggestions or opinions?

Netvudu
06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
well, I live in a different country and never purchased through the Internet so Iīm not a good opinion for you regarding where to buy.
As for suggestions. Number one for me would be: if you canīt buy lights and something to soften them (itīs called diffusor in english, right?) donīt even bother about buying a greenscreen. If you can light it properly it will be useless.
A couple of good lights will be enough for many setups...three will allow you for a few more tricks.
Syntheyes rocks.

clagman
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
The idea is to setup a 90 degree section to handle most of the camera motions. Diffuse lights, definitely. Probably going to hang them from ceiling. The trick to removing the corners...not so sure how to go about.

Titus
06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Why to buy? just rent what you need.

clagman
06-07-2011, 06:57 AM
I'll be doing enough that it's probably a good idea to own. I have a 50x30 space that I will have at my disposal for the duration. Dual purpose mocap/green room. It will be fun I think. I decided on the Canon xf300 for the camera, not sure I need the raw output from the 305 model. I might even build a dolly for it ;)

stiff paper
06-07-2011, 08:33 AM
I've seen a $100k Phasespace system in use and it looked really good. I don't know what you get for the $20k, but if it works anything like as well as the 100k system I expect you'll be very happy with it. I haven't used one myself, so I can't exactly vouch for it personally, but I was impressed.

clagman
06-07-2011, 09:59 AM
They are selling the impulse 480hz system for $50k these days, for $20k they dub it they improv:

The cameras are only good for 120hz, same resolution though. 20x20 area, one actor no expanding this system. They will allow you to use 50% of the cost of the improv toward the purchase of impulse system. It uses the same active marker system. You can add on facial mocap and gloves for hand capture if you need. Seems pretty good for the price.