PDA

View Full Version : need help with smoothing

webshot
10-06-2003, 01:28 PM
I have this animation I am building (see picture attached). One of my obects is all poly-like and unsmooth despite the fact that I have the surce texture set to smooth. Actually the other obeject whis is identical shares the same texture and it is smooth. How can I get this other object smooth also. I am willing to email my object to anyone if you have an idea how to help me

Thanks

toby
10-06-2003, 01:58 PM
make sure those polygons are directly attached to each other, check the object for 2-point polygons, and does it look smooth in modeler? If so, try a bigger reflection map -

can you post the object here? it's not a good idea to post email addresses on a forum - "stuff" or "Zip" the file and do an 'attach file' when you post.

webshot
10-06-2003, 02:01 PM
ok here is the object. Thanks for your help.

thekho
10-06-2003, 02:54 PM
I found that your bottom polygon has a double. So i select this second layer not first layer. Select 3 polygons (744) from Point Statistics and use a merge points then unselect this 3 polygon.
Then select 4 polygons (496) from Points Statistics again and use a merge points. Use Polygons Selection Mode and select 2 vertices (496) from Polygons Statistics and delete them. That's all. Hope it help.

webshot
10-06-2003, 03:02 PM
thanks you very much....I am still a big time n00bie. You think you could explain what you did a lil more. When you say :

Select 3 polygons (744) from Point Statistics and use a merge points then unselect this 3 polygon

What 3 polygons?

toby
10-06-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure what you did or what you're trying to do, but the second 'i' has 3 times more geometry than the first, half of which is severly non-planar. I would just delete the second 'i' and copy the first one and flip it over.

Also 2 of your surfaces have smoothing turned off -

One old basic rule is "Merge Points and Unify Polys" - that cleans up a lot of problems, also look for non-planars, 2 point polys in the statistics window

webshot
10-06-2003, 03:15 PM
yeah I am not sure how I ended up with that either. I appreciate your input and knowledge. I am still learning so excuse my ignorance. I am going to try both of you guys remedy. I am going through doing random tuts plus have this giant LW book next to me for reference when I get stuck...

thanks guys

thekho
10-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Not really explain to u. Toby already explained it. Look at statistics panel and select + (3 polygons) from Point Statistics. That's all.

webshot
10-06-2003, 03:25 PM
thanks man....I actually got it when I looked up some of your keywords in your explaination. Once again I appreciate it. You would not happen to know what causes (usual causes) for what happend to my second "i". Basically all I did was extrude it then bevel the sides. Not sure how I ended up with so much extra geometry.

But I learned something valuable today so thanks

toby
10-06-2003, 03:29 PM
I just tried Merge points, Unify polys, and deleting 2 point polys, it's all you need.

The statistics palette is indispensible for modeling, I have it open at all times. Not only can you see everything that's going on, but it gives you many selection options too. What Thekho means is the "+" next to "3 vertices" polygons in the stats window. That selects all polys made with 3 points.

toby
10-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by webshot You would not happen to know what causes (usual causes) for what happend to my second "i". Basically all I did was extrude it then bevel the sides. Not sure how I ended up with so much extra geometry.

It depends on how you extruded or beveled - or maybe you accidently pasted the original shape twice - it happens.

webshot
10-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Cool....thx.....I am enjoying LW more than Max at this point I just need to get used to the interface and tools.

thekho
10-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by toby
I just tried Merge points, Unify polys, and deleting 2 point polys, it's all you need.

Hi toby. Your method is really so quickly than me :) and it worked well.

toby
10-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by webshot
...I am enjoying LW more than Max at this point

Hallejulah! He has seen the light-tuh!

I'm finding 3DSMax to be 3 times more complicated than LW. Can I ask you questions from time to time?

Free tutorials here:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/

Here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10393

And here:
http://www.3dbuzz.com/

You should be able to learn a lot just by watching them - and with this forum you should be up to speed in no time

Thanks thekho ;)

riki
10-07-2003, 06:47 AM
hey cool logo btw