PDA

View Full Version : slow down issues while download when mouse isnīt moving, firefox?

prometheus
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
sometimes I get this slowdown issues while downloading, if I move the mouse the download bitrate excels only to slow down when Im not moving the mouse.

I remember having issues with the turbulence plugin a while ago when doing simulations,the simulation was slowing down almost stopping if I didnīt move the mouse, but as far as I know ..jascha released a new version wich I believe fixed that as to what I could see.

I wonder if it is the same or similar issues adressing something in windows 7?

Michael

Cryonic
06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I wonder if it is the CPU going to low power mode when no user interaction occurring

prometheus
06-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Might be the firefox browser as well, I have noticed that the firefox container plugin can halt the system quite a lot, and shutting that down helps a little, I then had some freezing when watching a video breakdown, and I had to shut down firefox and restart...after that I had my download bitrate at proper speed again without moving the mouse.

Michael

Dexter2999
06-03-2011, 07:25 AM
I use Firefox but it can be quite the resource hog.

Cryonic
06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
A lot of the resources it is eating up is due to plugins (especially flash). When watching streams like Hulu or youtube it is the container plugin that is surrounding that. Kill the process and the video stops :)

prometheus
06-03-2011, 01:08 PM
A lot of the resources it is eating up is due to plugins (especially flash). When watching streams like Hulu or youtube it is the container plugin that is surrounding that. Kill the process and the video stops :)

I figured it must be something like that, yepp..

Im not sure what to think of the flash media and plugins, I am mostly annoyed that itīs halting many times, and the adobe flash updater keeps showing up every other day and needs to be installed to often :(

Michael

Martin Adams
06-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Might want to check there's no other programs running in the background that use the mouse not moving as an idle event and try to do something in the background. Generally if your download speed is slowing it might be happening if another program is uploading or downloading in the background.

First check your task manager to see if the CPU is being throttled by something else, then you might want to think about what other apps could be doing net traffic (such as online backup programs).

In addition, you could try another browser to see if that has the same problem. If not, then it's most likely a Firefox/Plugin issue.

borkus
06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
I was a long time advocate of Firefox (since version 2), but have recently changed over to Google Chrome and don't think I'll go back. Haven't had any problems so far.

prometheus
06-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I was a long time advocate of Firefox (since version 2), but have recently changed over to Google Chrome and don't think I'll go back. Haven't had any problems so far.

may that as it be, but I just cant stand the UI of chrome ..well Itīs clean and ..almost nothing there.
Edit..hard to find where to save files, hard to find settings to change chrome setup.
Michael

borkus
06-06-2011, 06:56 PM
may that as it be, but I just cant stand the UI of chrome ..well Itīs clean and ..almost nothing there.
Edit..hard to find where to save files, hard to find settings to change chrome setup.
Michael

I fully understand what you are saying because I found it very frustrating to use in the beginning. The reason that I decided to stop using Firefox was because of the container plugin zapping so much of my system resources. I have a laptop with 6 gigs of ram, and at times it would become unusable using Firefox...

I do agree that Chrome has little in the way of customization, but I have found work-arounds for most of the things that I did in Firefox and the memory footprint in much less. But that is my observation and opinion and we are all entitled to our own.

jaf
06-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Really hard to pin down. I found some downloads, when using Firefox, seemed to come to a stop, but if I clicked somewhere in the Firefox browser (not the download window) the download would take off again.

But I'm not sure yet -- just a suspicion that it's something to do with Firefox. Maybe it's my Internet connection.

I keep going to Chrome but going back to Firefox in a day or two.

Cryonic
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM

My problem with Chrome is that Google doesn't allow addons like AdBlock. AdBlock is great for me in FF as I don't have to see all the ads that fill up some webpages and it even stops the youtube ads on every video.