PDA

View Full Version : Edges in SubD

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 06:05 AM
This is what I see in SubD mode. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong with this mesh? Notice the edge all around this piece of the mesh how is it looks crumpled.

hrgiger
06-02-2011, 06:30 AM
It's hard to tell from just looking at it. Can you post the object?

Two things to check. First, check your statistics panel in poly mode. Are there any 1 or 2 point polygons? If so, delete them. Using sub-D, you should only have 3 or 4 point polygons.

Second, go into wireframe mode and select a polygon. Do you show 1 or 2 selected? Do the same with edges and points. You may have duplicates sitting on top of each other.

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks. I'm not in a place where I can post my object this morning.

I have deleted all buy one of the 1-Point polys and if I delete that one, it destroys the mesh. I have deleted all but two 2-Point polys and the same happens if I delete these - destroyed mesh.

I have thoroughly gone through the mesh and deleted overhanging polygons, which I (by the way) didn't create...at least, I didn't create these on purpose. I have never had this problem in Blender 2.5. I wonder what's up...or is there something wrong with SubD mode or is something wrong with editing polygons in SubD?

Simon-S
06-02-2011, 06:43 AM
It looks like you may have a bunch of 2 point polys around the edge of your mesh because you have straight edges where they should be smooth.

Hit 'w' while in polygon mode and poly stats should tell you if thats the case.

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 06:58 AM
I only have two 2-point polys around the lips. One 1-point. That's it.

It looks like you may have a bunch of 2 point polys around the edge of your mesh because you have straight edges where they should be smooth.

Hit 'w' while in polygon mode and poly stats should tell you if thats the case.

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 07:24 AM
...and if it helps for further evidence of any other (or the same) kind of problem mentioned already, I cannot do a Select Loop around the frame of this object. I was able to do it earlier.

khan973
06-02-2011, 07:45 AM
maybe you have some weight on the edges? or try to delete one poly outside to see if you don't have another one overlapped.

probiner
06-02-2011, 07:58 AM
post the object if you may. Best way to see it it's put hands on it.

Anyway Go to edge selection mode, to the statistics tab and see if there is any edges with >2 Polygons.

Cheers

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 08:08 AM
I'll check everything again later today and then post back with either the messy mesh as an attachment or my successful find.

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Please let me know, if you find anything you think is worth your effort(s).

ch.schrul
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Just delete the 2 point polys.

Chris

Chris S. (Fez)
06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Nevermind...

probiner
06-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Go to Polygon Statistics click on "+" at "2 Vertices" and delete them.

Those are 2 point polys.

paulhart
06-02-2011, 04:28 PM
While inside of Lightwave Modeler, click on the letter w (More Windows>Statistics Open/Close). Make sure that you have Polygons selected as your Selection Choice (Spacebar to get it to Polygons) Now, with your Statistics Window open (I always have it open) Note that you have 70 Two(2) Vertices Polygons, which run around the outside of your model and along the mouth and eye. Click on the + sign in the Statistics Panel to select all of these, then Delete them. Problem solved.
Paul

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I was checking in Point mode instead of Polygons mode. This has been great. Thanks again.

hrgiger
06-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I have deleted all buy one of the 1-Point polys and if I delete that one, it destroys the mesh. I have deleted all but two 2-Point polys and the same happens if I delete these - destroyed mesh.

You have to be in polygon selection mode when you are looking for 1 and 2 point polygons in the statistics panel. The first clue that you had them was that when you hit tab to enter subpatch mode, modeler should give you the warning that only 3 and 4 point polygons can be subpatched.

rcallicotte
06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I did get a warning about something, but I quit paying attention. Thanks for your efforts. I appreciate what I've learned here. The Lightwave community is great and Lightwave is growing in my mind as a better application than I anticipated. It's very good and easy to use.

You have to be in polygon selection mode when you are looking for 1 and 2 point polygons in the statistics panel. The first clue that you had them was that when you hit tab to enter subpatch mode, modeler should give you the warning that only 3 and 4 point polygons can be subpatched.

probiner
06-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I was checking in Point mode instead of Polygons mode. This has been great. Thanks again.

Yeah i figured you were being confused by the 2 'point' polys. Maybe we could get it a new name so... pentagons... quads... tris... digon :D

There... i here by call 2 point polys Digons... has in... Be'Gone messy thing...

rcallicotte
06-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Thanks dude. LOL

Yeah i figured you were being confused by the 2 'point' polys. Maybe we could get it a new name so... pentagons... quads... tris... digon :D

There... i here by call 2 point polys Digons... has in... Be'Gone messy thing...