PDA

View Full Version : Map Video to surface in LW 9.6

frank1024
06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't use LW very much so I'm in the dark as to how to place a video clip that I did in Quick Time on a surface in LW 9.6. I'm using an Intel Mac Pro 8 core runing OSX 10.4.10. Thankyou.:help:

nickdigital
06-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Under the Image Editor import your movie file in there. Then apply it to the surface that you want.

frank1024
06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I appreciate your reply, but your explanation is so vague and incomplete that it is useless. I have already done what you suggested. There is so much more to what I have to do to make this work.

There are many other steps I have to make than just "Under the Image Editor import your movie file in there. Then apply it to the surface that you want" Like how to prepare the video, is it QT, AVi, (whatever), what Luminosity settings etc., etc., do I do this in Modeler or Layout?

If you have a more dtailed explanation that would be helpfull.

Your reel is fantastic. I'm sure you have a much better explanation for me.

Here is a much better explanation:

"You apply textures in the surface editor. There are little T icons, which you click which opens up the 'channel' eg colour, where you can assign image maps. There are a variety of projections to choose from, PLanar Spherical etc. If you want to wrap a texture in a specific way onto a complicated form, you should consider a UV map projection. You create these in modeler. Alot of the time Planar is good for the job, but UV is the most flexible and useful (and occaisionally time consuming) out of all of them. Once you get your head round UV maps they become very easy." From Jim N 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM

nickdigital
06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I apologize if my post was too vague or incomplete. It sounds like you're really new to LightWave.

Have you watched this video?
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/lwbox.mov

It'll go over the basics and should point you in the right direction.

As for preparing your movie I would actually suggest using an image sequence. A tga or png sequence is good.

You can surface your object in both Modeler or Layout but you can only assign surfaces to polygons in Modeler. If you surface it in Layout remember to save the object so your surface changes get saved to the object.

As for the Luminosity settings it'll depend on what you want it to look like. If you set the Luminosity to 100% and Diffuse down to 100% your movie will be in full color.

frank1024
06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I figured it out. Wasn't easy. None of this Lightwave stuff is. I'm not new to LW just don't have the experience like you have. Your video was fantastic. Maybe I'm just asking for to much, but still your explanation doesn't help. Anyways thanks for the reply.

TeZzy
06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
that's a very bad way to ask for help

nickdigital
06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
I figured it out. Wasn't easy. None of this Lightwave stuff is. I'm not new to LW just don't have the experience like you have. Your video was fantastic. Maybe I'm just asking for to much, but still your explanation doesn't help. Anyways thanks for the reply.

That's actually William Vaughn's video so he gets the credit for that.

What are you still having trouble with?

Wade
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Nickdigital -

Thank you for being a generous member of the Lightwave community.
It that warms the heart seeing you and others take the time to answer some of the most basic questions as well as the challenging ones.

Thanks again.

Wade

moussepipi2000
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi Frank. do you know how to map a IMAGE MAP? if you know how to do it, you just have to select a VIDEO instead of the image (if the video dont appear in the lest when you want to select it, just allow all the extensions file)