PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Breakdown

WilliamVaughan
06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.supermachine.co.uk/super-league-title-sequence-breakdown/

kosmodave
06-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Very interesting, thanks for the link. I have bookmarked this for future study.:thumbsup:

Dave.

Lewis
06-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Very cool stuff and lot of nice details for reading, thanks for link William.

probiner
06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Very cool. And extra points for being LW =P

Reminded me of this one, that has intersections in the workflow with the one you presented and it's just amazing too.

Cheers

GraphXs
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Nice! Itz to bad they didn't use LW for the final rendering.

Lewis
06-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Nice! Itz to bad they didn't use LW for the final rendering.

Yeah it's interesting comment/remark

"Richard Wright was the artist responsible for the lighting and rendering and had begun some initial testing of the rendering pipeline. Originally we had thought we’d use Lightwave for rendering. We’ve had a lot of experience in using Maya for animation, exporting to Lightwave for rendering using Beaver Project. We’d done a couple of very early tests of this pipeline but it soon became clear that there could be significant memory and issues associated with that much data being moved around. Since rigging and animation were to be done in Maya it would be better to use Renderman For Maya as the rendering solution.

Lightwave’s renderer is a very fast fully raytracing solution and would have been good for the reflective nature of the scenes So is Worley’s FPrime, but FPrime suffers from a lack of decent renderfarm support and the LW renderer can’t match the anti-aliasing that RMfM has."

Interesting is that I'm having similar experience currently with one of my "shiny" animation rendering. No matter how high i go with AA/AS my Carpaint node is "shivering" like speckles are moving on car paint :(. Looks great on Still but on animation i'll need to hide with various softening in postprocess :(.

probiner
06-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Very cool. And extra points for being LW =P

Reminded me of this one, that has intersections in the workflow with the one you presented and it's just amazing too.

Cheers

i meant... this one... http://vimeo.com/5738519

cg_mike
06-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Interesting is that I'm having similar experience currently with one of my "shiny" animation rendering. No matter how high i go with AA/AS my Carpaint node is "shivering" like speckles are moving on car paint :(. Looks great on Still but on animation i'll need to hide with various softening in postprocess :(.

Don't know if you've seen it, but this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119485) might be of interest to you.

Lewis
06-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Don't know if you've seen it, but this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119485) might be of interest to you.

Yes I've seen that topic (thanks for reminder again I'm watching some of that Gerardo's magic there :)) but i have way to many shiny/reflective/blurry surfaces and way too less time to do many nodal workarounds :(.

Sensei
06-02-2011, 02:39 AM

Render in double (equal to AA 4 passes), triple (9 AA passes) initial resolution, without using any AA/AS, then rescale image sequence to original resolution in Photoshop and all AA problems will be gone.
Render time will be exactly the same.

Lewis
06-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Render in double (equal to AA 4 passes), triple (9 AA passes) initial resolution, without using any AA/AS, then rescale image sequence to original resolution in Photoshop and all AA problems will be gone.
Render time will be exactly the same.

How do you render motion blur or DOF with low or any AA/AS ?

Sensei
06-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Problem with AA flickering rather doesn't exist when whole image is blurred..

Lewis
06-02-2011, 03:45 AM
Problem with AA flickering rather doesn't exist when whole image is blurred..

Carpaint node use "roughness" for blurring amount and i suspect that's what's making it shivering.

prometheus
06-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Impressive...Most Impressive.

Michael

06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Carpaint node use "roughness" for blurring amount and i suspect that's what's making it shivering.

That's the same problem I'm facing on really shiny surfaces.. :hey:

Nicolas Jordan
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
That helps to fill the void for the May newsletter.

Larry_g1s
06-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Very cool...thanks for the link.

moussepipi2000
06-05-2011, 10:20 PM
interesting and pretty detailled.

here a quote about lightwave

Richard Wright was the artist responsible for the lighting and rendering and had begun some initial testing of the rendering pipeline. Originally we had thought we’d use Lightwave for rendering. We’ve had a lot of experience in using Maya for animation, exporting to Lightwave for rendering using Beaver Project. We’d done a couple of very early tests of this pipeline but it soon became clear that there could be significant memory and issues associated with that much data being moved around. Since rigging and animation were to be done in Maya it would be better to use Renderman For Maya as the rendering solution.

Lightwave’s renderer is a very fast fully raytracing solution and would have been good for the reflective nature of the scenes So is Worley’s FPrime, but FPrime suffers from a lack of decent renderfarm support and the LW renderer can’t match the anti-aliasing that RMfM has.

erikals
06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
heh, i was about to comment on that the render could have been better :]
i think they should've used the LW render engine, but that's another story...

very nice character animation!