PDA

View Full Version : weird shadows on crown

jimiclaybrooks
06-01-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm doing a crown for a table. As you can see, the crown has these shadows that fall on it, right down the middle of the crown, on the lit side! and I don't for the life of me understand why. I'm using an area light for the scene. I've also included a screen grab of the wires, so you can see the geometry. Any ideas?

wrench
06-01-2011, 07:36 AM
It's because the "leaves" of the crown are non-planar where they curve out. You need to cut across them. Check your stats panel in Modeler.

B

JohnMarchant
06-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Looking at the wire the leaves are curved i would say you have some NGON's/more than 4 point polys, try to stick to 3 and 4 point polys any more and LW sometimes does not like it

JohnMarchant
06-01-2011, 07:37 AM
It's because the "leaves" of the crown are non-planar where they curve out. You need to cut across them. Check your stats panel in Modeler.

B

Beat me to it Ben:):):)

jimiclaybrooks
06-01-2011, 08:17 AM
thanks guys. At first I did think of that as the problem, so I took one leaf and made it a four point leaf so to speak. I got the same results in the render. So at this point, I'm just gonna redo the whole crown, and then I'll post the results. thanks again for your help:thumbsup: