PDA

View Full Version : City I've been working on for a while

devine
05-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey All
I've been using lightwave for about 14 years and this is something I've been working on for a while
This is the Vimeo link, watch in HD full screen. Its been rendered out for Blu-Ray.

http://vimeo.com/24372195

http://vimeo.com/24372195

Just wonering what you all think
Thanks
Antz

COBRASoft
05-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Impressive to me!

brian.coates
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Wow.

devine
05-29-2011, 08:36 PM
this is actually the first thing I've ever posted. I've been checking out these forums for years and thought its about time I put something up

UnCommonGrafx
05-29-2011, 09:07 PM
whoa.
Very nice.

Danner
05-30-2011, 02:12 AM
This is very impresive! Quite a lot of love went into this. If you ever re-render it, I'd work on the interior lighting, the white brick wall looks a bit flat. Also the bird sculpture is close enough to the camera to need a bit of detail.

devine
05-30-2011, 02:35 AM
yeah, that bird is about 13 years old, it was one of the first things I did for the city. I agree with the wall. When you stare at something for SO long its hard too see those things. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be re rendering about 6 months. I'll add that stuff fo sure.

I think I rushed that bagged brick wall. It was the very last thing I did.

vector
05-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Amazing work! But you should play with lightning and shadows to avoid flat issues as Danner said. It remembers a bit "the fifth element" movie :)

Vector

zippitt
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow, impressive work, needs a lot more railings and walls on the sidewalks, the ground would look like red bird droppings.

otacon
05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Lots of work there. I like that its a single shot. How many polys in this scene? Are you using HD instance?

devine
05-30-2011, 05:53 PM
The flat thing is a definate prblem. I'll look at it when I get back to it. Its a huge scene, not sure how many polys, but its a lot. Loads on about 7 gig of ram.
And with the sidewalks, I wanted that sort of danger feel.
Whats HD instance?? I'll have to look that up. Thanks for the feedback guys. Give me a few things to think about for the next render

safetyman
05-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Most impressive. Thanks for sharing!

bazsa73
05-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Hey, that's very nice! Cool piece. Rerender it if you are willing, some detail missing that's true but cool anyways.

Lewis
05-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Impressive stuff, lot of things going on there, can you tell me how did you make animated people, i.e. is it some database with animated 3D people or you did it manually ?

thanks

devine
05-31-2011, 02:34 AM
the people were from AXYZ design. YOu can buy them in bundles. Go to the plug and play section. They Also have a programme out called an(i)ma that does crowd stuff. Looks really good , but only for max and maya at the moment. I emailed them and they said they are working on a lightwave version. coming soon.

Lewis
05-31-2011, 04:24 AM
the people were from AXYZ design. YOu can buy them in bundles. Go to the plug and play section.

Thanks, but i can't find "plug&play" section? Do you maybe have direct link ? Thanks and sorry for offtopic :).

OnlineRender
05-31-2011, 05:12 AM
this is actually the first thing I've ever posted. I've been checking out these forums for years and thought its about time I put something up

glad you did , that piece is awesome !

Rabbitpenny
05-31-2011, 05:20 AM
Impressive body of work. Personally, except for the brick in the coffee shop, I interpret the flat appearances as the lighting you would see on a humid summer morning. In other words, I think it works well.

It's nice to know in the future not all coffee shops are Starbucks.

BigHache
05-31-2011, 07:08 AM
*in my best Strong Bad* Holy crap!

Nice work.

devine
05-31-2011, 07:58 AM
thanks again for the feedback guys.
It was meant to be a hot morning coffee shot. I live in Melbourne australia and the cafe is based on one in Greville Street Prahan.
Also, Lewis
I can post a link, the menu is weird, but go to
-3D Humans
-M1
-Ready Animated models

also
-3D humans
-M2
-Ready animated models.

Thats all of them so far. I jest re-textured and slow some of the animations down. Also offset some too to make them look more varied. Message me if ya stuck
[email protected]

devine
05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
and not off topic at all, their in the animation ;)

Lewis
05-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Ahh yes now i see it (they complicated menus), thanks :)

devine
05-31-2011, 08:08 AM
get the lightwave ones. The only problem is there isnt enough of them

Netvudu
05-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Congratulations on some great work there. I agree with the rest in the lighting/shading issues but modelling-wise it is a staggering amount of work, and very well done. The cinematography of the piece also works very well: Good selection of camera angles and motion.
The mix of old and future is also very interesting. The car thing is obviously reminiscent of the Fifth element...but just in case Im not making my point obvious: I love what you are doing here

rcallicotte
05-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Wow. This is beautiful. How long did this take from the actual beginning of modeling?

devine
05-31-2011, 06:43 PM
I started modeling about 10 years ago, but I've sort of been one and off for those years. Sometimes I'll do a few weeks, then work for about 6 months and come back to it when I can. I actually fiinshed about 5 years ago, but then decided to go back and change heaps of stuff. I'll upload the old one today.

Mikewave
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice work so far.
As mentioned by the others, some time spent on lighting/shadows/contrast might help you take this to the next level. If your hardware and your patience can take it, get some radiosity in that scene!
Still, impressive stuff!

djwaterman
06-08-2011, 07:47 AM
You have a Melbourne based cafe but I noticed Centerpoint Tower in the distance. I would only question the lack of safety railings at such high altitudes, everyone seems pretty confident just strolling around up there, I guess they're used to it, maybe you should add a crazy bicycle courier weaving in and around the pedestrians. I like that you went the opposite of dark and moody.

Nangleator
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Very impressive work!

I'd suggest enhancements to the camera move. Pitching down at the right moments might help induce some vertigo in the viewer. Those cars whizzing past might give a jolt to the camera, with small amounts of pitch and bank, to give more of an impression of being on the edge of tumbling down.