PDA

View Full Version : Some augmented reality in children's books

shrox
05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
These are a few augmented reality displays I created for a series of books by POPAR Books. The actual displays are rotatable, and appear to float above the books when opened. This shows a preying mantis catching a victim, a mobile crane with a load of pipes, and the Spirit Mars rover examining a rock.

http://www.vimeo.com/24326438

zapper1998
05-27-2011, 08:50 PM
nice one ... :)

Lewis
05-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Looking great man, that caterpillar must be PITA to setup bone rig ?

shrox
05-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Looking great man, that caterpillar must be PITA to setup bone rig ?

Yes, but the weight maps where the most time consuming. Then the conversion to Ogre was no picnic either!

archijam
05-29-2011, 03:07 AM
Nice .. I was playing with the ANDar app on my android phone yesterday, really cool.

It is only for static, simple textured obj files, and cannot intelligently load them ..

shrox
05-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Nice .. I was playing with the ANDar app on my android phone yesterday, really cool.

It is only for static, simple textured obj files, and cannot intelligently load them ..

Thanks.

The static textures on the water kind of ruin the illusion, but such are the limitations of what I am working with.

djwaterman
06-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Fill me in on what these are and how they're used. Is it some kind of digital display. Are they for digital books? But I'm also interested in the bone set ups you used, they work really well. The Mars rover and the crane animation got my interest up.

shrox
06-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Fill me in on what these are and how they're used. Is it some kind of digital display. Are they for digital books? But I'm also interested in the bone set ups you used, they work really well. The Mars rover and the crane animation got my interest up.

Here is our webpage about POPAR Books: http://www.poparbooks.com/

djwaterman
06-12-2011, 05:41 AM
The concept seems amazing to me, I would think this is a really good gimmick if people knew about it. I'm not sure the website sells it very well. You really have to search to find out what it is your selling, just a demo video or something would help I think. And the actual books are not really shown, there's no big pictures of the covers or content. That's just my view as someone with no expectations.