PDA

View Full Version : Art space

otacon
05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
You guys are probably getting sick of these interiors. This is one I made based off a photo I saw. I liked the yellow. Rendered with lw as usual. Any comments welcome.

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/cg/artspace1.jpg

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/cg/artspace2.jpg

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/cg/artspace3.jpg

Dexter2999
05-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Great stuff man.

Love the wider shots and the way you use DOF.

The only thing that doesn't look photoreal to me is the close up of the statue. And this could totally be subjective. The wall detail reminds me of an older building. Yet the detail looks like it was painted separately and attached to the wall. Whereas in a real world wall, layers of paint over the years would smooth the detail into the wall.

Like I said, could just be me.

But, nitpicking aside, wonderful work as always, Sir.

funk
05-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Awesome stuff as usual. You've really mastered interiors with LW.

Wires? Settings? Details?! Tell us your secrets :)

Tobian
05-28-2011, 05:23 AM
The lighting and the subtle use of DOF really sell this. Quality stuff!

titin
05-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Awesome.... images. I love your work

maxwaver
05-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Amazing work, i think this one is your most realistic image, everything looks perfect, tha compostion, color choice is very good too ! its very hard to get this result using f9 ! congratulation :)

Svenart
05-29-2011, 06:05 PM
I like the motive very much. The scene is a little bit empty but interesting. Materials and lighting are great as always.

Clemens
05-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Just love it - can you say a few words about the lighting? Is this only one light source and radiosity?

michaeldejong
05-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I never get sick of seeing great renders :D

Very cool work!

Nicolas Jordan
05-30-2011, 03:26 PM
It's to bright, it burns my eyes! :D

Waves of light
05-30-2011, 03:26 PM
I will never ever be tired of your renders. I love the imperfections in your renders that make them look real.

Snosrap
05-30-2011, 05:46 PM
You guys are probably getting sick of these interiors.
Never! Never! Never! Keep 'em coming! Great stuff!!

otacon
05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys. You are right about the wall detail, it looks like it was added on. Here are some wires and an image showing the light setup. I used 3 area lights, two in the back room to act like windows, and one near the camera to give some fill. I also have a luminous poly near the camera for reflections, but it is unseen by radiosity. I used 3 bounces radiosity and of course rendered to hdr and tonemapped in post. The un-corrected render is very dark, so it really shows the advantage of gamma correcting.

Matt
05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
I never get sick of seeing your work Otacon! Keep it coming! :)

monovich
05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
so do you render then tonemap every work-in-progress render to check your lighting?

nice work.

Oedo 808
05-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Lovely work, so many superb scenes.

otacon
05-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Usually I tonemap my wip images which are low res no aa. Since I''ve been using lw 10 though I can get a better idea of the final by using the built in gamma correction in the vpr. It's still not as good as tonemapping in a separate program, but it really helps when I'm surfacing.

funk
06-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Otacon, I'm not sure if you know about this, but dpkit + dpfilter can help get your test output even closer to your external tonemapping application

I'll just put this here in case it helps anyone

Install dpfilter + dpkit then
1. Ctrl + f8 > Add image filter > Node image filter
2. Add node. Dpkit > Processing > Render buffer
3. Add node. Dpkit > Processing > Tone map (its a reinhard tone map)
4. Connect Render Buffer Color > Tone Map and from Tone map to Imagefilter
5. Test render. You can then use viper (f7) to tweak the tone map node if you want

You can even mix an exposure tone map (Dpkit > Processing > Exposure) with the reinhard tone map like Kray Render does.

You dont get to see this in realtime in VPR (although you will see it as sRGB like you do now), but it's better than having to launch another app to tone map.
Id love to eventually see realtime image filter support in VPR!

rikka+
06-01-2011, 04:05 AM
I prefer the detail shots,they are really great!
The full image have great light and composition but maybe is a bit empty.
Thanks for the settings!

Tobian
06-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Yeah it occurs to me that since they have a display CS, it would be nice if they could handle tonemapping in it as well! :)

erikals
06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
is this the best pure LW render quality i ever saw... now... rendertime? what rendertime?

otacon
06-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks. Render time was maybe 45 min if I remember. Thats on a pretty fast machine, dual quad core.

khan973
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Woow, Not so many people can render like this in LW. Have you used Occlusion?

khan973
06-09-2011, 10:47 AM
What are your antialiasing settings? Can they work one animated?

otacon
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I used a bit of AO. AA settings were 8 passes, .034 adaptive sampling, .18 oversample.

erikals
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
another question coming up...
the room where the chair is, is the sealing not white, it seems to have yellowish color in it, while the rest of the room has white and blueish midtones...?

just wondering if the differences should be that strong... (if going for realism)

(ok, think i get it now, the effect happened in post... :]

 

geotecnia
06-14-2011, 08:01 AM
It is good,but remind me to hospital! sooo white!

Pavlov
06-15-2011, 07:55 AM
excellent as usual. Can i ask some questions ?
- why dont you use gradients in you GI settings ?
- what kind of improvement do you see in this scene using Behind Test ?

thanks ;)
Paolo

otacon
06-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks. I normally turn on use gradients, I'm not sure why it's off. I think I forgot to click it when I was setting up the scene. I don't know if there is any advantage to using behind test in this scene. I tend to always keep it checked because I'm unsure of the exact effect it has...just have not tested it much.

erikals
06-15-2011, 12:07 PM
"Use Gradients enables gradient interpolation"

hm, does this make things flicker less in animations?

Pavlov
06-15-2011, 06:54 PM
thanks, Otacon.
Afaik Gradients are simply Irradiance gradients, a better way to smooth GI samples. Imho it should be always ON.
Regarding Behind Test, i never saw big differences so i never use it, but since my setup is usuallty different, maybe it could make sense here.

bye
Paolo

erikals
06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
hm, i guess it would make animations flicker less then...
need to test... :] cool... :]

Julez4001
06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks. I normally turn on use gradients, I'm not sure why it's off. I think I forgot to click it when I was setting up the scene. I don't know if there is any advantage to using behind test in this scene. I tend to always keep it checked because I'm unsure of the exact effect it has...just have not tested it much.

Is your Ambient Occulsion, the built-in Lightwave AO raytracer, AO shaders or are you using SB_AmbOcc shader.

What are your setting for AO?

otacon
06-27-2011, 11:18 PM
For this image I used the built in AO node. Settings were like 1' distance, 8 quality.

khan973
06-28-2011, 02:48 AM
What are your Photoshop settings, I never get clean images when I do gamma corrections... I don't get How you can go from totally black image almost to white :)
Seriously, when I do so, I get overblown areal or grain.

Wouldn't you mind sharing your photoshop workflow (in few words). Thank you, your work is very inspirational! Hav you posted outside NT forums?

ingo
06-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Afaik its not photoshopped, its Photomatixed http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html

otacon
06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah I use photomatix, and more recently I've been messing with Oloneo photo engine. Part of getting it right is balancing your light in lightwave. Before the vpr, it was harder to see what kind of light balance you were getting. Turn off dithering in the processing panel to get rid of noise.

I also post at evermotion, cgarchitect and some other forums.

Pavlov
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
which one is best in your opinion ?

Paolo

universalpenman
06-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Dude... I 'hate you So Bad... :P no man looks incredible, I' love the minimalism on the scene, the light set up looks so easy, thanks for sharing your screenshots & keep it up :)

otacon
06-28-2011, 09:08 PM
which one is best in your opinion ?

Paolo

I'm really liking Oloneo. It has nice curve adustments, it updates faster realtime, simple controls, better color controls.

MDSPECIFIC
06-29-2011, 04:29 PM
White and yellow, nice, clean and warm! :thumbsup:
Like it!

thanks, Otacon.
Afaik Gradients are simply Irradiance gradients, a better way to smooth GI samples. Imho it should be always ON.

If you want better light in bumps with radiosity gradients should be OFF, aside bump radiosity option, flicker in this case is bigger. For stills I always turn it OFF, I'm getting better details this way.

Pavlov
06-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Otacon, thanks gonna check oloneo demo.
MDspecific, thanks a lot for the info, gonna try it.

Boris Goreta
07-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Yikes, this looks too good. Lighting and surfaces are a treat for the eye. A friend just bought a render plugin for rendering interiors, then I showed him your renders. Enough said. I don't know why people think LW is not capable in that department.

Why do you tonemap the renders so drastically ? Don't you use sRGB color space ? I use tonemapping just to tweak the image a bit. I get nice light balance when rendering in sRGB, can't get blown highlights even when cranking the lights in the 100 - 500% range.

erikals
07-26-2011, 07:33 AM
honestly i didnīt know because of ignoring the Color Space, (i guess many of us did)

Danner
07-26-2011, 07:48 AM
...Regarding Behind Test, i never saw big differences so i never use it, but since my setup is usuallty different, maybe it could make sense here.

bye
Paolo

I leave "Use Behind Test" off because it's faster when off.. untill I find a problem. I'ts easy to test. using fast radioity settings put a painting with a frame on a wall, separate it slightly, Now render with, and without "Use behind test".

When it's off, radiosity rays compute the painting but not the wall that is behind it. In this case it can contaminate the wall with the brightnes or color values of the painting, making the wall bright and colored instead of dark from the radiosity "occlusion".

otacon
07-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Yikes, this looks too good. Lighting and surfaces are a treat for the eye. A friend just bought a render plugin for rendering interiors, then I showed him your renders. Enough said. I don't know why people think LW is not capable in that department.

Why do you tonemap the renders so drastically ? Don't you use sRGB color space ? I use tonemapping just to tweak the image a bit. I get nice light balance when rendering in sRGB, can't get blown highlights even when cranking the lights in the 100 - 500% range.

I just like to have more control over the gamma. I feel like I get better contrast if I do the adjustments in post rather than use lw.

Pavlov
07-26-2011, 07:08 PM
When it's off, radiosity rays compute the painting but not the wall that is behind it. In this case it can contaminate the wall with the brightnes or color values of the painting, making the wall bright and colored instead of dark from the radiosity "occlusion".

Very clear, thanks ;)

Paolo