PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Way to Convert HD to SD for Recording to DVD Standalone Recorder?

Marty01
05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
I have shot and edited some video on the TCXD850 and want to record it to a standalone DVD recorder. I have rendered from the timeline to multiple files trying to find the highest quality that will work. The recorder is suppose to sense a 16x9 signal and record 16x9 but it doesn't. I'm thinking the flag may be missing in all of the types I'm rendering to. The only one or way that I've found that works is to render to Uncompressed 422 Project Size and select 16:9 Stretch in the Custom setup. That gives a SD Letterbox 16x9 that I can record to the DVD. It's not quite as good of quality as some of the other ways I've tested but they are all streched vertically on the monitor unless you put it in 16x9, which won't work for this low-power station where this will air.

Just rendering to RTV 4:3 looks worse than this.

Anyone else found a good way of doing this other than buying an AJA FS-1 or some other box?

Thanks for any tips you may have.

Marty Davis

joseburgos
05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
You could load the rendered clip into the DDR and use the AUX out set to SD 16X9 to send to the stand alone DVD recorder. You can use component or Y-C (S-Video) from the AUX settings.

Take care,

Brian Mirrlees
05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone else found a good way of doing this other than buying an AJA FS-1 or some other box?

For the price and the feature set that it offers, the AJA FS-1 is a great unit... you would be hard pressed to find a better unit for the money.

Your requirement is specific, but consider that the FS-1 could give you more capability (provided that it is properly integrated into your facility) for future projects/work or this or a similar nature.

b.

Marty01
05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Tried what you suggested Jose, but that doesn't work. The file would play out from the DDR, but it would either be stretched vertically or the sides were cut off. I really need 16x9 letterbox. If I put the monitor in 16x9 mode that's connected to the output of the DVD recorder, I can get pretty good SD quality by rendering the file to DVCPro50 or Uncompressed 4:4:4:4, but I can't seem to make it a letterbox 16x9.

I wonder how it would look if I had just taped it in SD 4:3 to start with. Unless I output in letterbox 16x9 out, it's not going to work. I seem to lose a lot of quality if I convert from 16x9 to 4:3. That's why I would like to keep it 16x9.

I'm suppose to have a SDI to S-Video converter box coming soon that I need to convert the output of a Panasonic HMX-100 Video Mixer. I'm anxious to try it on the 850 and see how the video looks.

Thanks,
Marty

pro---studio
05-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Marty,

in "SD-Land" there is no such thing as "native" 16:9. The only difference between 16:9 and 4:3 is the pixel aspect ration. The resolution stays the same all the time. 4:3 video is in PAL 720x576 and 16:9 in PAL too. The same applies to NTSC with other numbers.

When 16:9 is wanted the device "sqeezes" the 16:9 picture into the desired resolution. That is the way SD 16:9 works.

What Jose described (Playout your HD file with a DDR and set your Aux Out to SD, use the Y/C connector to your DVD recorder) is in fact the best and fastes way to get your show on DVD. Try to investigate the manual of your DVD recorder. There should be a setting where you can set it to record 16:9 video. This must be set in your DVD recorder NOT in the Tricaster..

Edit:
I read that you need 16:9 letterbox. That means you need a 4:3 picture that contains a 16:9 content with black bars above and below. To get this just create a 4:3 SD project in your Tricaster and playout your HD clip from any DDR. The Tricaster should playout this clip as letterbox automatically.

Good Luck!

Regards

pro.

joseburgos
05-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Right analog Video does not have a "flag" even to the point that you have to set your TV to wide for 16X9 or Normal for 4x3. The DVD player is acknowledging the MPEG2 flag for wide or normal and in the DVD settings you choose to display wide or with letter box. Then the DVD player sends out the analog signal.
Pro is correct, of course, in that you need your DVD recorder to be enabled to the aspect you wish to record in.

Marty01
05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Finally have this working. Here is what works:

Edit HD in SpeedEdit (I applied .95 sharpen filter to add a slight bit of sharpeness since I was going to downconvert)
Render timeline to following:

Tricaster DDR with Alpha - Project Size
Custom: Speed HQ 4:2:2:4
Unselect Project Settings and set to 4:3 Boxed

Load live production in Tricaster 850 set to SD session

Load the file into a DDR and and set AUX output to 480i 16:9 YC out

Record to standalone DVD recorder.

I think this gives as good of quality as your going to get when downconverting HD to SD. You end up with a letterbox format on a 4:3 tv so you don't lose any of the image.

You can also render the timeline to an Uncompressed 4:2:2 - Project Size file and select custom 4:3 Boxed. It creates a much bigger file, but I couldn't see any difference in the quality on playback.

Thanks for everyone's help and I hope this info will help someone else.

Marty

joseburgos
05-27-2011, 09:00 PM
You want to use TriCaster DDR next time as the extra file size from adding alpha gives you nothing in your case.