PDA

View Full Version : Attach a light to a surface

AmigaNewTek
05-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Hello,

will be useful to attach a light to a suface insted of a polygon in layout. Not using Luxygons, i mean. I'm trying to put a light, for example, in the middle of a surface, at the center of it. There's a way to do this?

Thank you

MUCUS
05-26-2011, 04:22 AM
In the case of your spaceship, you can attribute a luminous surface to a polygon. Indeed, if your spaceship is going to have multiple lights on it, it will be easier to manage that attach lights in layout.

But, if this light are going to light other objects, as a spot for instance, it will be better to use a "true" light in layout, which will give you faster and better results that luminous polygons and radiosity (from my experience). Here, using Luxigons could be helpful.

So in your case, I would just give to the concerned polygons a luminous surfaces and have some render tests in Layout. :)

probiner
05-26-2011, 04:48 AM
If it's not many that you want, couldn't you put a null with sticky (with to mesh and velocity ON) and parent a Light to the null with a little offset in the Y+ axis?

Cheers

AmigaNewTek
05-26-2011, 05:15 AM
@MUCUS
The light should be capable to spot light

If it's not many that you want, couldn't you put a null with sticky (with to mesh and velocity ON) and parent a Light to the null with a little offset in the Y+ axis?

Cheers

I was thinking the same. In the modeler i have to find the center of the polygon (Detail>Measure>Find Center), then add a null instead of the returned point. In Layout i can attach the light to the null. Could you, please, be more specific about "a null with sticky (with to mesh and velocity ON)". I don't know all the techniques.

Thank you
Regards

probiner
05-26-2011, 05:35 AM
(with to mesh and velocity ON) = (with *align* to mesh and velocity ON)
my mistake.

You assign Sticky surface to the target object and Sticky to the Null where in its properties there is the option "Align to mesh and velocity" that you could put on. Then parent a light to the Null and voilá you got your light sticking to the surface.

But maybe Luxigons are the way to go no? Polygon normal will give you the light orientation and if you want to pin point the location of the light to some vertex in the scene just use "Create Pole" on the Luxigon quad, snap to whatever you want and then merge the triangles and you got your polygon

AmigaNewTek
05-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Thank you,

i have some problems with Luxygons. When i try to use the convert Luxygons the Luxygons does not appear. Btw, it's not possible to add a null in Modeler? I have to create the point in a different Layer, then swap the point with the null in Layout.

AmigaNewTek
05-26-2011, 07:27 AM
(with to mesh and velocity ON) = (with *align* to mesh and velocity ON)
my mistake.

You assign Sticky surface to the target object and Sticky to the Null where in its properties there is the option "Align to mesh and velocity" that you could put on. Then parent a light to the Null and voilá you got your light sticking to the surface.

But maybe Luxigons are the way to go no? Polygon normal will give you the light orientation and if you want to pin point the location of the light to some vertex in the scene just use "Create Pole" on the Luxigon quad, snap to whatever you want and then merge the triangles and you got your polygon

That's strange. If i create a point in the middle of a polygons, shouldn't the point be preserved in Layout? Then, if i swap the point with a null, why the null doesn't get the exact place of the point?

There are no tool o plugins that permit to put objects, like a null or a light directly onto a polygon, surface, etc, etc?

Where is located the Create Pole tool?

dwburman
05-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I put together a luxigons tutorial a while back that might help - http://dwburman.com/tutorials/lightwave/41-lw-luxigons.html

daforum
05-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I may have misunderstood this thread but does this help:
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=291972db

jeric_synergy
05-29-2011, 12:32 AM
You guys started out talking about surfaces, but pretty soon you were back to polygons.

::thinking:: "Object to Null"? You'd make point layers in LWM, and convert them to Null..... hell, why not go straight to lights?

AmigaNewTek
05-30-2011, 04:01 AM
You guys started out talking about surfaces, but pretty soon you were back to polygons.

::thinking:: "Object to Null"? You'd make point layers in LWM, and convert them to Null..... hell, why not go straight to lights?

Symply cause i realized that is not possible to do. I would like to attach light to surfaces, or to poly too. You can't name polygons, but you can name surfaces, then in layout would be cool to have a nice way to attache light to a named surfaces. Don't know why but i have strange errors with Luxigons.

jeric_synergy
06-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Since it exists, I'd suggest giving Luxigons a couple more whacks.

dwburman
06-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Actually, you can name polygons... sort of. You can select polygons and give them a part name (the tools to do it are inconveniently located on the "Detail" tab in modeler). These parts are independent of the surface name (though you can make your parts based on the surface names).

I don't know how that will help you do what you want to do, however. I suppose someone could write an Lscript to attach a light to a named polygon (or a numbered polygon or point) if the appropriate hooks exist.

AmigaNewTek
06-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Actually, you can name polygons... sort of. You can select polygons and give them a part name (the tools to do it are inconveniently located on the "Detail" tab in modeler). These parts are independent of the surface name (though you can make your parts based on the surface names).

I don't know how that will help you do what you want to do, however. I suppose someone could write an Lscript to attach a light to a named polygon (or a numbered polygon or point) if the appropriate hooks exist.

Thank you for the info.

jeric_synergy
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
You can select polygons and give them a part name (the tools to do it are inconveniently located on the "Detail" tab in modeler).

You can also create "PARTS" in the "Polygon Info" panel. Works with multiple polys selected in that panel too.

A poly can only be a member of ONE part, unlike Point Selection Sets.

(I usually move the Parts tools into my Selection Tab....)