PDA

View Full Version : Talking animals

Pamukkedi
05-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi everybody,

just got a call from a client: he wants a talking dog for a one-minute video.
The dog should sit in a newsroom and talk into the camera. And he wants quality....;)

Has anybody done that before? What should I charge for this? How much time is needed for it? Every idea and help is welcome.

NanoGator
05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
A key factor in your estimate is how many seconds of footage is needed?

Pamukkedi
05-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Well, 60 seconds in one take. I think, we need are very special dog for filming.

donlimpio
05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking about 100 to 2000 dollars for the dog, depending on what breed you want, but the most expensive part will be teaching the dog how to talk :D

ecgi
05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Cartoon or photo real?

Ernest
05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking about 100 to 2000 dollars for the dog, depending on what breed you want, but the most expensive part will be teaching the dog how to talk :D

Nah, one spoonful of peanut butter and he's ready to join the debate club.

RebelHill
05-27-2011, 03:26 AM
more specific?

Is it an all CG dog and set, or is the aim to use a live action shoot and VFX the mouth action?

What are you needing to produce... if it's the latter will you just need to do the vfx work, or will you need to organise and shoot the whole thing too?

cresshead
05-27-2011, 03:31 AM
dog plus trainer is Ģ600 a day for a dog you can 'direct' and actually get some useful footage from.

Pamukkedi
05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
My client now wants 4 dogs. They should be filmed in front of greenscreen, and should talk with each other. Like a TV discussion group. They do not want a director for filming, they asked me to do it ( VFX supervising doggie director ). I dont think that they have trained dogs, because on the phone they wanted to have it - like always - cheap. Maybe peanut butter is a good idea. This will be definitely a very funny day.
I keep you informed how it goes on. Maybe there is work for a few people...

NanoGator
05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Is it just me or does this sound like a nighrmare project in the making?

Nangleator
05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I've seen things like this before... (http://www.theonion.com/articles/bowlingalley-owner-wants-tv-ad-to-look-more-matrix,530/)

RebelHill
05-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Well I recommend you tell your client he can have it cheap, or he can have quality...

4 dogs, all shot live action, greenscreen comped, plus the make em talk tracking and vfx work... several thousand $.

Titus
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Nah, one spoonful of peanut butter and he's ready to join the debate club.

Ha ha ha. Or try Crazytalk:

http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/

Dexter2999
05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Modeling, match moving, comp'ing...lots o time and money.

Separate dogs, still comping (but probably easier as you won't have the match move issues), peanut butter, clever scripting (think the talking animal stuff on YouTube), clever editing... cheaper route.

Pamukkedi
05-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Is getting better and better....
Today my client informed me that the ad is for a company that produces toilets for africa. And they need the video for a charity ( means unpaid marketing ) event. So I asked him how he would stick the dogs onto the toilets seats, but he did not understand. I think, the making-of will become much better than the video itself.
I keep you informed.

akademus
05-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Is getting better and better....
And they need the video for a charity ( means unpaid marketing ) event...

This is the intro to we cannot pay you or we can pay very little for this project... or after this we will have so many cool projects and stuff...

So you should whether start pulling back or start making up enormous costs of doing such a video to scare the client away.

On a practical side of project you can track the dogs nose and add talking CG jaw with matched fur on top of the video.

However things are much much more complicated with four dogs.

Nangleator
05-29-2011, 12:07 PM
For academic purposes, akademus, when you "track the dog's nose," would you do that with a null, and your jaw parented to the null, or would you track it with the camera and leave your jaw at the origin? The second option seems simpler to me, somehow.

shrox
05-29-2011, 12:16 PM
This isn't even my client and I am already starting to feel ripped-off...

Like others said, this sounds like the beginning of late payments, bounced checks and comments about how the client's brother/friend/cousin could do it for $500.

Nangleator
05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
After all, the computer does all the work.

Netvudu
05-30-2011, 04:46 AM
I fully agree. We all have been there before. This guy wants great FX at super cheap prices. Caution: If you feel this is the situation this would be the moment to bail out from the project.
If you fear leaving the project because you donīt have any other work and money is short, think about being involved in this project for the next five months and being paid just the equivalent to one month: youīve been working four months for free and still donīt see the end of it. Not worth it.