PDA

View Full Version : Holding a frame in footage

alexoctagon
10-06-2003, 05:16 AM
Basically, is there a way to hold a frame in the middle of some footage for a specific amount of time, and then carry on playing?

I've rendered about 800 frames of footage from Lightwave and loaded it into DFX+ as TGA files, and in each of about 8 places I want to choose a frame, hold there for 60 frames, and then continue playing the footage. I looked at the stutter tutorial on the Eyeon site and then tried this with the timespeed tool, which kind of worked but I found it was taking me ages to set all the keys and calculate what frame the footage should be on at a particular time. Essentially it would be great if I could go to a frame, click 'hold for 60 frames' and then the footage would move on accordingly.

Is there a way of doing this?

Many thanks, Alex

LyonHaert
10-25-2003, 05:49 PM
you'll need to use 2 clips of the same footage to accomplish this by extending the last frame of the first segment to hold it and starting the second clip after the extension, and, so here goes. for simplicity, the assumed footage here will be 60 frames in length, and in the middle of it we're going to hold frame 30 for 30 frames.

Clip1:
clip start = 0
clip end = 30
extend last frame = 30
global start = 0
global end should end up being 60

Clip2:
clip start = 31
clip end = 60
global start = 61
then global out should be 90

to get this to work properly:

add a plain black background (Tools > Loader/Creator > Background)
global start = 0
global end = 90

add a merge tool: Merge 1

connect the black background to the background input (yellow) of Merge 1

connect Clip1 to the foreground input (green) of Merge 1.

add a merge tool: Merge 2

connect the output of Merge 1 to the background input of Merge 2

connect the output of Clip2 to the foreground input of Merge 2

that should do the trick. the reason this is awkward, though, is because what you're trying to do is to do editing in a compositing program. it's doable, but tricky and awkward.

Whelkn
10-26-2003, 01:03 AM
OR use the time stretcher tool. It lets you speed up, slow down and hold a frame for any amout of time.

Jeremy

LyonHaert
10-26-2003, 09:20 PM
ooooh, cool. nevermind my ad hoc method :)

LyonHaert
10-31-2003, 12:23 AM
actually, if you have the DFX+ deal (Modules 1 and 4), you will have to do the ad hoc method, because Time Stretcher is in Module 2

Whelkn
10-31-2003, 07:49 AM
That sucks----Im glad I have the full version :D !!!!

alexoctagon
11-02-2003, 05:38 AM
Is this Timestretcher a different tool to the Timespeed tool then? (Like the one used in the stutter probe tutorial on the eyeon site)

LyonHaert
11-02-2003, 05:53 AM
Yes, it's a different tool. In DF (or DFX+ with Module 2), it should be in Tools > Misc > Time Stretcher, just under Time Speed.

Whelkn
11-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Hey I just noticed That you get a free time stretcher and time speed tool from this web site. http://www.komkomdoorn.com/index_htm check it out they call it the average tool. you have to download all their plugins to get it

Jeremy