PDA

View Full Version : Newest demo reel

shrox
05-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Here it is, my new demo. I admit, it's a bit rushed, not perfect, but I think it highlights my strengths, spaceships and cinematography. One can't work on it forever. I love moving the camera in action sequences. So here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZojO992Ac-o

An angry Enterprise bares down on three unfortunate Klingon warships....only one will warp away! An interesting twist to it all makes for some unexpected action...

(Warning for lensflarediphobics, some Carpenter/Abrams lens flares are visible!)

GandB
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
5 Stars man! Really enjoyed it; especially the great camera work. Interesting Kamikaze Drones too. ;)

jasonwestmas
05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
really nice effects there Shrox. The style feels like Syd Mead. The sound appears to be out of sync though, not sure why.

wrightyp100
05-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Ace. Really liked it. Could defo spot the abrahms influence ;) I LOVE lens flares.

shrox
05-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks, I put it together in about 30 days.

Those drones are my impression of a "Bezerker", mentioned in some short stories in Omni magazine oh so long ago...

The bastards at YouTube cut the audio!!!! That's why I normally post to Vimeo!

shrox
05-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Any other comments? Is it "good enough?"

jasonwestmas
05-25-2011, 01:52 PM
It may not match the television show stylistically, but your surfacing and cinematography is excellent from a feature film and illustration perspective imo.

gardner64
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
I was highly impressed and motivated by your video. Great job

BigHache
05-25-2011, 02:25 PM
I enjoyed the camera work a lot. That's a subtle quality that's easy/not-so-easy to pull off.

shrox
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I guess worry too much! I just hope it gets me a job doing space and sci fi stuff. Here is the vimeo version with the audio "uncensored"...

http://vimeo.com/24237842

Vimeo rocks!

Snosrap
05-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Liked it! Need some sound FX and not just music. Take the words off and add voice or just leave them off. Otherwise thumbsup. :thumbsup: anyway -- and I really like the lens flares!

octopus2000
05-25-2011, 05:19 PM
that looks great

Cryonic
05-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Overall not bad. The Enterprise should have been damaged by those initial torpedo hits (her shields are right against her skin and don't ever seem to stop torpedoes for long).

In the final shot the Enterprise is stretched both towards the camera and away. She should just be stretched away from the camera as she makes the jump to warp. (The saucer section should appear to stretch out and then the engineering section gets pulled after it).

shrox
05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Liked it! Need some sound FX and not just music. Take the words off and add voice or just leave them off. Otherwise thumbsup. :thumbsup: anyway -- and I really like the lens flares!

There are sound effects and voices, I wonder why they didn't come though for you?

archijam
05-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Nice, I think it really works better than the previous one, which while techinicaly involved, showed a very specific style that some may not like.

My advice would be to break it up with pauses where you show wires, set-up, onion-skin animation movements or basic rigs etc. That way it is not only entertaining, and impressive techinicaly, but also gives a lot of info about workflow and process.

I would not say 30 days, but rather break it down into the time per phase of the project, modelling, texturing, animation. Then talk about how many days per scene, or so.

Would you add some type of intro frame? I did not see an obvious reason why not to put most of those credits at the beginning ..

Perhaps there is a way of demonstrating that it was made specifically for this purpose, and was a one man show. This alone is impressive ..

Snosrap
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
There are sound effects and voices, I wonder why they didn't come though for you?

Oh yeah the YouTube version sound is waaaaaay out of sync. Vimeo is fine, nice job!

shrox
05-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Oh yeah the YouTube version sound is waaaaaay out of sync. Vimeo is fine, nice job!

Cool, did anyone notice that it's not the U.S.S. Enterprise? It's actually the I.S.S. Enterprise...a bit more of a bad-*** ship.

bazsa73
05-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Hi Shrox,
I watched several times and I think it's very cool.
May-bee, may-bee the camera floats at some point a bit too much.
Is there any possiblity to edit the thing outside LW? I guess so.
I would consider that possibility. Because a good edit makes miracles quite often. All in all I would rather say the material needs some tailoring but the overall concept is pretty cool and nicely done.
And maybe flashing buttons inside the ship, I know it's a pain in the a-ss but looks good :) Cheers.
And increase the contrast too. Maybe it's due to the washedout compressor effect, I dont know why those engineers cant get rid of this esthetic annoyance.
Bests, good luck.

shrox
05-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Oh, I did put it together in Premiere, I forgot to mention that.