PDA

View Full Version : Can you learn from older version tutorials?

Boobyman
05-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I have a friend who's selling how to model the human head from DesktopImages. He's selling it for 20 Bones. It looks excellent but it's for versions 7.5-8. Before i buy this i wanted to know if one can learn from the older tutorials? Like version 7-8? Thanks.

nickdigital
05-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't see why not. The basic tools will be the same. Modeling a head is more about proper poly flow versus some fancy new tool in a program. It's not like modeling a head is suddenly only possible in the latest and greatest of a program.

Danner
05-23-2011, 02:13 PM
the biggest difference, I think, would be being able to select (and-extruede) edges. LW didn't have that back then.

dwburman
05-23-2011, 09:50 PM
There have been a few additions, tool changes, and shortcut changes to Modeler, but Modeler in LW10 is mostly functionally the same as it was in version LW8.

colkai
05-24-2011, 04:41 AM
To be honest, there are tutorials out there for LW5.6 that still hold relevant techniques and skills. Though I'd get used to the interface before tackling older tutorials, just so you know where the relevant tool is these days.

For eample, Dave Jerrards LW5.6 Applied book has some neat-o stuff that is very much useful in ANY version of LW,as NickDigital has said, the modeller hasn't really changed since then anyway so grab what you can. :)

jeric_synergy
05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Worst case, you'll miss out on some newer tools that would make your life a bit easier. But in general, like a snowball, LW accumulates and does not discard.

Besides, I almost always find that it's some INCIDENTAL technique that the author inadvertantly demonstrates that winds up being the most valuable thing on the tape/DVD.

And one of the most valuable lessons: seeing how long it takes to make cool things. Answer: pretty long.

UnCommonGrafx
05-24-2011, 05:33 PM
HECK YEAH!(x100)

I have a young man doing a car out of some circa '90s compendium. The language is different but the end results are the same.
Half price book stores are great for this.

jeric_synergy
05-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Not to take food out of educator's mouths....

The thing about NEW productions is they can leverage the newest features of lightwave into your productions. I don't know about you, but many many features I'd never figure out until they become common knowledge. But if you buy the latest from, say, Liberty3d, you get some of the most experienced LW users on the planet showing you what the latest features do.

SO, the old stuff is almost certainly worthwhile, but investing in your new features is good too.

inquisitive
05-25-2011, 02:27 AM
I have a few of those older VHS tutorial videos that I am currently watching. At some point I will be selling them (I also have the one you mention - but have not watched it yet). I currently have both LW8 and LW9 installed so on a way it makes it easier to go thru them.

I think as mentioned before they are still relevant, just like old technical books (some stuff doesnt change much, some does, but still there is info to learn).