PDA

View Full Version : UV and Baking Cam failure

Nangleator
05-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm failing at something very simple. I'm just trying to bake some lighting onto an object. So, I created this simple test scene to demonstrate my fail.

I created a small corridor and added lights. (I decided against radiosity, for time's sake, although it fails equally badly with radiosity.)

I created a single UV map for my object, of the Atlas type.

I set up my scene and set the camera as a surface baking camera.

Please open this and...

Look at the model in Modeler, and look at the UV map.
Look at the scene in VPR.
F9 render, to see how the baking goes.
Apply that new texture to the object's UV map.

Failure!

Please explain what I'm doing wrong, or what LW is doing wrong.

lardbros
05-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Any chance of letting us know what exactly is failing? I will upload a test scene I did a while ago if you want... but is it just coming out black or something?

Nangleator
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
It's coming out black except for the closest polygons to my lights, and those are far more dim than the VPR window would suggest.

Additionally, on my actual project, once I attach a rendered UV map to my mesh, the positions are way off, as if the UV map or the baking camera is simply wrong. This has failed with a few different types of UV mapping techniques. (PLG, Atlas, Cylindrical, manually placed, planar-mapped polygons.)

Nangleator
05-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, I tried using "Bake Surroundings," which helped. Some of my geometry wasn't mapped properly, but I guess if you have an interior, you need to consider your one and only model "the surroundings"?

lardbros
05-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Just wondering... I haven't had time to check your scene yet, but could it be this?:

If you're working in linear colour space, and you're viewing all your images in LCS, but you're not saving them within the same space that you're viewing it?

That would make them come out darker, but it may be something entirely different :D