PDA

View Full Version : DPont's Renderman Collection - Planks question

Maxx
05-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Hello all. I'm trying to use Denis' Renderman collection Planks texture to do some hardwood flooring. Now, when I look at my own hardwood floors, the groove width isn't uniform. I'm trying to replicate that with this texture. I've tried plugging various other procedural textures into the Groove Width input in the main Planks node, but just get undesirable results (grooves that bend and swirl, mostly).

I've tried - among other things - running a Crumple procedural through a Clamp node (low at .0001 and high at .003 right now), but all this does is uniformly change the width of the groove to the high value. There's no variance or "wobble" of the groove width.

Has anyone tried to do this before, and if so, is there a record of the attempts that I can look at? Advice is - as always - greatly appreciated.

Gumby22don
05-23-2011, 03:20 AM
what about taking a brick texture outputting as the groove width? I like using bricks (just rectangular pattern of greys) for stuff like this.

Don
have a great day

XswampyX
05-23-2011, 05:15 PM
what about taking a brick texture outputting as the groove width? I like using bricks (just rectangular pattern of greys) for stuff like this.

I don't think this will work. But you can overlay the brick texture on top. :thumbsup:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/WoodenPlanks.jpg

Maxx
05-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately, using the brick texture as Gumby22don suggested didn't produce the desired results, but obviously inspired XswampyX to try things I hadn't thought of, so thank you very much!

XswampyX - thank you! Those look like gradient nodes between the Turbulence and Bricks nodes and the Add and Surface nodes - correct? (It makes sense that they are, given where they are in the flow, but they're difficult to read...) Also, did you set the groove width and depth to 0 on the Planks node, or is it an additive effect?

Going to play now - thank you!

Maxx
05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
One more quick question - how did you match the plank scales from RMan Plank to LW Brick? I'm having a heck of a time with that so far... Still playing, though.

dwburman
05-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, a gradient node can be used to remap the min/max values of procedural. I'm working on a tutorial set about gradients. If you show output on the gradient's keys you can use Constant>Scalar plugged into the color (or alpha) of the Gradient to set the exact values (.0001 and .003) you want for output.

Of course, if you could eliminate the gradient node and just plug the Scalar constant nodes into the BG and FG inputs on your procedural.

dpont
05-24-2011, 01:10 AM
With a separate Planks node in "Plain" mode,
you can generate different randomized input values 'per plank'
for 2 different Planks nodes, then try different "Vary Seed" value.

A Planks node in "Plain" mode
can also generate a mask, the "Plank Vary" must
be set to a very high value, or you could constrast
the output, and input it as opacity in a Mixer node
for blending 2 different Planks nodes.

Denis.

XswampyX
05-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Those look like gradient nodes between the Turbulence and Bricks nodes and the Add and Surface nodes - correct?
Yep. I seem to use gradients everywhere. Take any value, stuff it through a gradient and bingo!

Also, did you set the groove width and depth to 0 on the Planks node, or is it an additive effect?
Additive, only because I didn't turn it off.

how did you match the plank scales from RMan Plank to LW Brick? I'm having a heck of a time with that so far...
VPR makes thing like this soooooooo easy.
I suppose you could use the demo version of lightwave 10 to get your textures sorted?

I've attached the surface to this post, It's a bit overkill but you can always tone it down a bit. :)

Have a look. Cheers!

dwburman
05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I think you might be able to save node setups even in Discovery Mode. At least you can in 9.6. Select the nodes, right click on them to bring up the menu and select "Export Nodes."

Maxx
05-25-2011, 06:05 AM
XswampyX thank you for posting the surface - I'll take a look at it this afternoon. I have v10, but even VPR wasn't helping to match the textures, especially once you randomize the plank stagger.

jeric_synergy
05-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, a gradient node can be used to remap the min/max values of procedural.
Indeed. The gradient node can be very confusing, since the keys themselves can be animated (!).

Here's an article on just that, you can skip down to "And here’s a closeup of the Gradient Node:"... although you'll probably need to read the whole thing:

http://3dproj.com/2011/03/29/node-of-the-week-using-the-gradient-node-to-remap-numeric-values/

Note the very sparse number of inputs necessary to remap values.

dwburman
05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm actually working on a tutorial about gradients at the moment. You can do some really cool stuff with that little node.

If it's okay with you, I'll link to your article in the PDF that'll be bundled with the videos.

jeric_synergy
05-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Sure thing. The idea of the moving/animated key value is especially subtle -- I would never have thought of it.

I think the name "Gradient" doesn't really serve users well, since the node (or layer) is so much more than what we think of as a 'gradient', graphically. I suspect there's some mathematical function that would do this same type of value remapping, but not as flexibly.