PDA

View Full Version : How many artist(s) are out of work ?

OnlineRender
05-21-2011, 06:42 AM
nearly 4 months with the odd client "not enough to survive " , just interested to see if we are all in the same boat .

the poll should not show your username if I set it up correct .

JamesCurtis
05-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm a self employed freelancer in Ohio, but, most of the work, of late, has been coming from out of state sources.

I've been lucky enough to have clients in Pennsylvania for the last 4 years. Work's not exactly plentiful. But, so far, it's helping to keep me and my wife just barely above water.

Unemployment here is about 10%, but I don't think that includes the people who's had unemployment benefits run out, so that average is probably a bit higher.

Being self employed, I never benefit from the Unemployment Compensation Program.

OnlineRender
05-21-2011, 07:22 AM
I signed on the other day at the job centre WHOOOO , wifes on maternity "AGAIN" I get a whole Ģ19 a fortnight YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS not enough to buy beers and smokes .

sammael
05-21-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm currently caring for my wife who has been undergoing cancer treatment for the past 8 months which is still ongoing... I actually lost my job due to having to take some time off to take her to various appointments/treatments. Yeah nice employer...
Anyway I sometimes wish I was back to work and everything was back to normal but I'm not going to leave her side until she's cured. Lifes a ***** but what can ya do...

OnlineRender
05-21-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm currently caring for my wife who has been undergoing cancer treatment for the past 8 months which is still ongoing... I actually lost my job due to having to take some time off to take her to various appointments/treatments. Yeah nice employer...
Anyway I sometimes wish I was back to work and everything was back to normal but I'm not going to leave her side until she's cured. Lifes a ***** but what can ya do...

wish you and your wife all the best .

cresshead
05-21-2011, 07:47 AM
i was unemployed for over a year and it's TOUGH to get a job in my region [east midlands uk] and my age range [V late 40's] now had this job for just over a year...and managed to convert a 5 day job to 4 days with same pay which now makes it a decent paying gig rather than what i was on when i got the job back in april 2010. It's not perfect but it's paying the bills and putting money back into my bank that i had to use up when i was seeking work for 14 months in 2009-2010.

i think things are going to get tougher quite soon...just heard the d.i.y market is crashing and looking to take focus do it all shops with 4000 jobs and the councils are laying off hundreds of thousands of people this year...1 client i was doing freelance work for also went belly up end of last year and a friend who worked 25 years in a print company saw his firm go bust just last month.

my advice is to get 'a job'...ANY job and keep your head down but also look for other possibilities constantly as you never know when the next firm goes..'splat'.

OnlineRender
05-21-2011, 08:16 AM
i was unemployed for over a year and it's TOUGH to get a job in my region [east midlands uk] and my age range [V late 40's] now had this job for just over a year...and managed to convert a 5 day job to 4 days with same pay which now makes it a decent paying gig rather than what i was on when i got the job back in april 2010. It's not perfect but it's paying the bills and putting money back into my bank that i had to use up when i was seeking work for 14 months in 2009-2010.

i think things are going to get tougher quite soon...just heard the d.i.y market is crashing and looking to take focus do it all shops with 4000 jobs and the councils are laying off hundreds of thousands of people this year...1 client i was doing freelance work for also went belly up end of last year and a friend who worked 25 years in a print company saw his firm go bust just last month.

my advice is to get 'a job'...ANY job and keep your head down but also look for other possibilities constantly as you never know when the next firm goes..'splat'.

agreed , my reduncy cash went on paying the mortgage to act as a buffer for a few months , i've been getting labouring jobs and doing chippy runs on the weekends to get back , its a bad state of affairs when your internet gets cut off and you need to wait a week to pay the bill " sigh

Titus
05-21-2011, 08:17 AM
I run own company, and this year has been a lot better than the previous. The jobs keep comming, the only problem is that clients are used to pay in 60-90 days after billing.

glebe digital
05-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Lean times....have four days next week booked in the work diary....I hope they stick.

bazsa73
05-21-2011, 09:00 AM
We went through similar, though her case was mendable still it was heavy toll on the mind.
Otherwise it's quite ascetic here too, steady slow crisis washes the doorsteps.

sammael
05-21-2011, 09:16 AM
We went through similar, though her case was mendable still it was heavy toll on the mind.
Otherwise it's quite ascetic here too, steady slow crisis washes the doorsteps.

Yes its a good way to age 10 years in the space of a few months, I'm glad everything worked out ok in the end for you.

bazsa73
05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes its a good way to age 10 years in the space of a few months, I'm glad everything worked out ok in the end for you.

I hope your wife will recover from her malady.

OnlineRender
05-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Since the mods are active any chance you can add another options in the poll #education/studying# please

3DGFXStudios
05-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm drowning in work :D !

Dexter2999
05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I have a job with a big (huge) company. I had weasled/carved out a niche for myself doing spinny logos for conventions and shooting/editing corporate videos for the VP.

Well, they restructured and all but closed my section down. No more spinny logos. No more video shoots. Still have a job though, hurray Union! Lots of downtime working nights. Taking the opportunity to try to learn rigging and character animation. The animation part I get. The rigging part, well it's a an uphill battle all the way.

The only advice I have for those without work would be the same advise for writers without a job. Keep working even if you don't have a job. Portfolio work, spec. work, etc.. It keeps your skills sharp and gives you the opportunity to replace weaker work from your portfolio.

cresshead
05-21-2011, 03:12 PM
The only advice I have for those without work would be the same advise for writers without a job. Keep working even if you don't have a job. Portfolio work, spec. work, etc.. It keeps your skills sharp and gives you the opportunity to replace weaker work from your portfolio.

I study even though i have a job and now i have 3 free days a week i intend to increase my learning, i usually find a challenge to learn something per week be it rigging, workflow, technical issues or r & d on possible personal projects.
you never know when the job you have might end so keep learning new stuff everyone. :thumbsup:

SBowie
05-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Since the mods are active any chance you can add another options in the poll #education/studying# pleaseAs you wish ...

OnlineRender
05-21-2011, 04:38 PM
As you wish ...

Thank you

JamesCurtis
05-21-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm drowning in work :D !

3D work?

Hey, any chance of sending some of it my way? Not kidding BTW!!

SubDProxy
05-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Contract ends May 31st. I have been on this contract since May 2009. Been fun.

JBT27
05-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Well, it's certainly not what it used to be, that's for sure ... the more I know and the greater the experience, the less business there seems to be. That could be just paranoia of course ... tough times, despairing times.

Julian.

3DGFXStudios
05-22-2011, 10:40 AM
3D work?

Hey, any chance of sending some of it my way? Not kidding BTW!!

Yes 3D compositing and motion graphics.
I wonder if Dutch customers want to go abroad for their job to be done, but I can ask when possible. The problem often is that things need to be done fast. I mean really fast and outsourcing costs valuable time :hey:

prometheus
05-23-2011, 02:29 AM

Keep your hope up, what cancer form is it?

My mother got brain cancer when she was 64 years old, but she was probably cured from that, but on older days she got demented..unfortunatly my mother passed away this friday, she was 80 years..so we were happy to at least have her with us many years after the cancer, she was sitting out in the sun on a glorius day and the heart just stopped I believe.

I wish she could have been aware of me having a pretty decent job right now, being demented as she was I donīt know? Ive been working since 2009 at my current position as a product illustrator, but it is still a government supported job, wich means that the state pays 65% of the salery, and that will continue til december this year, after that Im not sure, Im gonna have some discussions these upcoming months if they are ready to employ me for good or if I should prepare to look at somthing else.

Michael

wrightyp100
05-23-2011, 05:01 AM
This time last year i was working for a small company of 6 on a rolling contract. Got offered permanant contract but I said to wait as I was going away for a month.Then all the work dried up after i got back from and as I was still temp, got the bad news with 3 weeks to find a job. It was good of them to give me time though. Luckily, i landed on my feet as I was with an agency and they got me a new job. So yeah, lucky.

OnlineRender
05-23-2011, 06:36 AM
I am sorry to hear some of the stories , I can relate to the cancer as with most people these days , everyone I seem to touch or know is slowly being killed off .

We care for my wife's family "her mother is terminal "holding on well " and her farther has MS , which kinda holds me back from leaving Scotland , but you need to do what you need to do , and we owe our life's to these people and being without is a thought I do not care to enter my head .

Its sad that 17.6% is out of work , either threw no fault of there own or unfortunate circumstances , I genially mean this , I wish there was something I could do to help .

biliousfrog
05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I got hit right at the start of the recession because I was mostly doing arch-viz and the housing market was one of the first to go. I lost a lot of clients overnight and had to do some part-time, seasonal and temp work to pay the mortgage. Last year was really quiet during the summer but the winter months just about kept me afloat thanks to new clients and a colleague in the product viz market who has been extremely busy and drip-feeding me work. This year has started off brilliantly and I've barely had any down time. I've also started a photography business which is bringing in some extra income and should hopefully carry me through the summer if the 3D work is quiet again...it also means that I can add photography to my list of services for CG and have been working on a CG/photo project for the past couple of weeks.

For me it seems that work is picking up and I'm optimistic for the coming year and beyond. Hold in there folks, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

mythek1
05-23-2011, 03:13 PM
I really feel for you. I wish you both all the strength you need to get through this.

cresshead
05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
I got hit right at the start of the recession because I was mostly doing arch-viz and the housing market was one of the first to go. I lost a lot of clients overnight and had to do some part-time, seasonal and temp work to pay the mortgage. Last year was really quiet during the summer but the winter months just about kept me afloat thanks to new clients and a colleague in the product viz market who has been extremely busy and drip-feeding me work. This year has started off brilliantly and I've barely had any down time. I've also started a photography business which is bringing in some extra income and should hopefully carry me through the summer if the 3D work is quiet again...it also means that I can add photography to my list of services for CG and have been working on a CG/photo project for the past couple of weeks.

For me it seems that work is picking up and I'm optimistic for the coming year and beyond. Hold in there folks, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

yeh building industry got hit hard, my brother is a director of a building company...it's been a tricky time for this sector...also i see in the d.i.y side of uk shops the focus do it all chain of some 176 shops is balancing on staying afloat and is currently in administration with some 4000 jobs hanging by a thread.

archijam
05-24-2011, 06:20 AM
.. I think the 'artist' part is an underlying problem.

Why do all people that work in 3D want to be seen as artists? Because 'artists' do it for love and not for money?

Architects have the same issue .. I work too hard doing what I love, but make no money, I must be an artist ... this is also where you can see many architect becoming super arrogant as time passes (many of my colleagues included).

Not meant as disrespect, just something I have observed over the years. We probably need to be business owners first ... and follow the trends. Visualisation (at least in general) is not a growing market AFAIK.

Portnoy
05-24-2011, 08:10 AM
I am sooo glad I came across this post. I can certainly relate to some of the stories told here. Of, course we all have things in our lives we are dealing with. I pray for peace and strength for all that is dealing with something right now. My mother is dealing with dementia right now and it can take it's toll.

I work mostly in the print industry and although I've worked for the same small company (1 employee, me. lol) I also have my own side freelance business. Unfortunately, it has been been very slow both at work and my business. With the down time I have been trying to take advantage and learn more. I'm wanting to get more into 3D/animation and have been seriously thinking about going back to school to learn it. (been looking at iAnimate.net). My doubt really comes from the thought of getting back out and finding a new job and at my age, mid 40's. Don't want to let that stop me though. Can't count on my FT lasting forever and don't really think I want it to.

I agree though, use your downtime to learn new things. it can only benefit you. Hope to read more thoughts on this topic.

Don

Kionel
05-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Freelancer, but one who survives entirely on a dreaded IT "day job".

Work comes entirely from out-of-state clients. Most of my work comes in the form of industrial animations and corporate video projects. Though I saw a brief spike in work from November 2010 through February 2011, the pickings have once again become quite slim.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I find my work through:

oDesk
ELance
iFreelance
Personal Networking

Additionally, I live in a mid-west state not known for either LightWave or for being a hub of 3D art activity. Relocating to a region more directly connected to the industry would probably do me a world of good.

Just my two cents.

Kionel
05-24-2011, 08:41 AM
I run own company, and this year has been a lot better than the previous. The jobs keep comming, the only problem is that clients are used to pay in 60-90 days after billing.

Sadly, that's actually better than the terms I squeezed out of my direct clients. I was seeing NET 120 on a lot of my jobs. It absolutely stunk.

That being said, they did pay, so I can't really complain.

Kionel
05-24-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm currently caring for my wife who has been undergoing cancer treatment for the past 8 months which is still ongoing... I

My thoughts are with you and your wife.

I understand your pain. I gave up my full-time freelance gig in July of 2009 after my wife was diagnosed with MS. Didn't know back then if she'd be able to work again, and had to make sure we had health insurance if she was laid off. Dark days...

We've been blessed. She recovered from her attack, and not only kept her job, but just got a major promotion. They're even talking about moving us out to sunnier country for her health next year, once she's trained into her leadership responsibilities.

If someone had told me in 2009 where we'd be with her in 2011, I would never, ever have believed it.

Keep the faith, man.

Portnoy
05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Quote from Kionel:

In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I find my work through:

* oDesk
* ELance
* iFreelance
* Personal Networking

I'll have to try iFreelance, I'm signed on with ELance and oDesk, I like ELance although I haven't gotten a project from it yet, haven't been on long. oDesk it looked like all the projects there budget was like next to nothing, and that was on video and animation jobs, let alone print. Maybe you can clarify that. Hadn't tried iFreelance.

Kionel
05-24-2011, 09:07 AM
oDesk it looked like all the projects there budget was like next to nothing,

That's been the biggest problem with oDesk. I can land work there, but I have to be very selective in accepting the jobs. A lot of clients want the moon for nothing.

Example: I was recently contacted to interview to re-create the opening spaceship for Spaceballs. Client wanted a full 3D model with textures, delivered in under a week. Their budget? $35.00.

No, not kidding.

As you can imagine, I politely declined. :)

Portnoy
05-24-2011, 09:49 AM
@Kionel, what is your bid ratio on Elance about how many jobs do you actually bid on? Just curious. That's my main reason for staying away form oDesk, I have a hard enough time with that issue with regular clients. :(

Anyone else know of any good freelance sites??

Kionel
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
@Kionel, what is your bid ratio on Elance about how many jobs do you actually bid on?

It works out to be about 15:1. I have a boilerplate proposal template that I work from for my bids, which helps, but it's still time-consuming.

Of course, I'm also very, very picky these days. My full-time IT job takes a lot out of me; when I shoot for a project it's usually something I want to do, rather than something I have to do.

Kionel
05-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Good point. In fact I've told my long-time clients a number of times that I consider myself more of a "technician" as opposed to an artist.

Up here in the U.S. MidWest, when I try to explain to people what I do on the side, I just describe myself as a "Technical Artist". It's not entirely accurate, but it's also much closer to what I do than "Graphic Designer".

IMI
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Since the middle of 2008 I've gone from feast to famine and back again several times.
Currently I guess you'd say I'm on Light Lunch. ;)
For 22 years I managed to build up savings all the time and had a pretty nice little sum until the bottom began falling out. Then after about a year things got better and I was able to save a lot again.Then things went to sh*t again and the savings slowly drained. And then that whole cycle repeated again...
My "real" job now pays the bills and allows me to buy the things I need, and I also work as a freelance modeler and texture artist for an up-and-coming (hopefully!) indy game developer, and build and repair PCs on the side.
But still, things were a whole lot better before the government and the banks and the mortgage companies colluded to destroy the economy. ;)

I REALLY wanted to get into arch viz, but what with residential construction coming to almost a complete halt, that idea kind of fell through.

Now I just don't know what the hell to think, but my cynical side believes things are going to keep getting worse for a while and may not get better for a long time. It really sucks having to save almost every dollar possible for the probability of having to soon spend it merely on survival rather than on things I just want to buy.
I wish we could still have political discussions here because you can bet I have a WHOLE lot to say about it all. ;)

Titus
05-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Interesting open letter from Eric Roth:

http://www.deathfall.com/forums/content.php?7159-An-Open-Letter-to-VFX-Artists-and-the-Entertainment-Industry-at-Large

biliousfrog
05-25-2011, 02:51 AM

oDesk
ELance
iFreelance
Personal Networking

I tested the waters with Elance and iFreelance a few years ago. Financially I lost about $200 on iFreelance with no bids accepted on any projects over a year, on Elance I spent about $400 and, over the course of a year, I got two jobs which led to further work. In total, from those clients, I have earned just over $7,000.

When I looked at the amount of money spent bidding for work, the time spent searching and customizing proposals and answering questions from potential 'buyers' it worked out to be a massive waste of resources. The two clients that I picked up even requested to settle outside of Elance because of the hassle with it all and wouldn't use it again.

I have made more money and better clients by spending less on better marketing. The time and money spent on bidding against students and freelancers in India and China for buyers that want to pay bottom dollar would be better spent on flyers, phone calls, postcards, google adwords, magazine ads, networking events, trade shows...almost anything.

I could have made more money from the freelance sites by being more competitive but I honestly can't see why I should be expected to work for less than minimum wage when I'm selling 'professional' services. The clients that I did get understood that.

glebe digital
05-25-2011, 04:34 AM
....well so much for the 4-day contract [cancelled] & next week's proposed project has been shelved indefinately....not great, but what can you do.

Lamont
05-25-2011, 06:01 AM
I have made more money and better clients by spending less on better marketing. The time and money spent on bidding against students and freelancers in India and China for buyers that want to pay bottom dollar would be better spent on flyers, phone calls, postcards, google adwords, magazine ads, networking events, trade shows...almost anything.

I could have made more money from the freelance sites by being more competitive but I honestly can't see why I should be expected to work for less than minimum wage when I'm selling 'professional' services. The clients that I did get understood that.It's why I stopped using it. It's a serious hassle. Someone wanted to pay $50 for a golf course. Full 18 holes rendered. I've had better luck going on my own.

I teach English part time, and freelance the rest of the time. If things are slim, at least I have the teaching contracts. If I have no contracts I'm working on my own iOS games.

OnlineRender
05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Indie ftw

Kionel
05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
I tested the waters with Elance and iFreelance a few years ago....When I looked at the amount of money spent bidding for work, the time spent searching and customizing proposals and answering questions from potential 'buyers' it worked out to be a massive waste of resources.

:agree:

Despite my still using those freelance resources, your experience does closely match mine.

Where I've had most of my luck with iFreelance and eLance is being tapped by other groups as a sub-contractor. The same couple of teams have thrown me a good amount of work at a decent rate. While that helps me earn scratch, it also hurts me in that me direct reputation on those sites never improves on their roles. Luckily, word-of-mouth from doing some of those sub-contracting gigs has led to even more leads, so the effort wasn't entirely wasted.

Regardless, I have a very low BS tolerance for those sites. I no longer write custom proposals; I use a boilerplate template to apply. No, it's not the "right" thing to do, but I don't see the need to piss away an hour of my time crafting a custom proposal for a gig that will barely cover my normal writing fee. (I'm also a professional technical writer.) My logic is this: If a client doesn't like my reel, or how I present myself with that template, they're not worth my time.

Unfortunately, living in the Midwest next to a bunch of art schools, I'm really stuck using the online route. I can't really canvas a lot of local businesses or marketing firms; they know they can -- and often do -- hit up the students at the local schools and offer them McDonalds wages for work that should be worth much more. Result: With the exception of a few standing local clients who know me, I have to find work out-of-state. Though the sites I listed are far, far from perfect, they at least offer me a chance to keep my work up-to-date.

I hope I'm not coming off as defending those sites; I'm not. The quality of clients I've seen on all of them is largely horrific. But until I find myself in a better geographic situation, I'm honestly not sure what else I can do.

Kionel
05-25-2011, 08:16 AM
It's why I stopped using it. It's a serious hassle. Someone wanted to pay $50 for a golf course. Full 18 holes rendered. I've had better luck going on my own.

:agree:

I've been freaking horrified by some of the rates people have offered for metric buttloads of work. Just glancing at one of the sites (I won't name which to protect the guilty), and filtering for projects that pay above $100.00, right now I see:

"3d Animations of Football Stadium: 90 seconds, animation will be used to sell the project so extremely high detail is required" -- Budget: $250.00

"Low poly animated character pack for fantasy RPG: 6 characters, 8 animation actions" -- Budget: $200.00

Remove the $100.00 filter and I get:

"Game artist for hipoly [SIC] models: ...seeking quality artists for creating computer game graphics in Zbrush or another program to create a hipoly model...We require real quality." -- Budget: $84.00

"need a 3d semi realistic female model for game design" -- Budget: $50.00

In these cases I glance, I shake my head, and I move on. But in the case of the last project, there are currently 24 candidates that have applied.

I share this with others who may not have seen these sites to clarify what I mean when I say "I'm picky". I'm not choosy about the kind of work I do; I'm choosy as to whether the project will be worth my time.

Back to my day job...:D

wrightyp100
05-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Not just animation. I make Music videos in my extracuricular time, all digitally filmed. You say to a band :
Me
"you want a video?"

Band: "Yeah, but a really good one"

Me: "Ok crew lights cameras Locations props etc you're looking at about a grand."

(Bear in mind, my friend and I dont take anything from this, this is literally the cost of the stuff we get and crew)

Band:"Ooo, a mate said he'd do the same for 100 quid"

Me:"Go with your mate, he is obvioulsy a genie"

People want TV quality vids for next to nothing. makes me laugh. I then see theyhave tried for that and failed.

If they are going for a video like "praise you" I'll do that for 100 quid. No probs. But everyone wants shiney and "ooo".

You gotta pay for that.

robertoortiz
05-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Not just animation. I make Music videos in my extracuricular time, all digitally filmed. You say to a band :
Me
"you want a video?"

Band: "Yeah, but a really good one"

Me: "Ok crew lights cameras Locations props etc you're looking at about a grand."

(Bear in mind, my friend and I dont take anything from this, this is literally the cost of the stuff we get and crew)

Me:"Go with your mate, he is obvioulsy a genie"

People want TV quality vids for next to nothing. makes me laugh. I then see theyhave tried for that and failed.

If they are going for a video like "praise you" I'll do that for 100 quid. No probs. But everyone wants shiney and "ooo".

You gotta pay for that.

Same here.
All the time people ask me to help them out in video production
doing some post fx for them.
But when I quote them a realistic price, they freak out.
They want Avatar fx, at bargain prices.

biliousfrog
05-25-2011, 08:48 AM
There are some good projects on those sites, mostly from people/companies that are uneducated in how the CG industry works and just think that using a bidding site is how these projects are outsourced. The big problem is that many of these potential buyers get swept along by the flashy portfolios and cheap prices and never question why someone that claims to have single-handedly produced all of the animation in Pixar's UP is willing to work for less than a kid in Burger King.

What I found most frustrating is that there is often not enough space to write a detailed proposal in which you can validate your experience and costs compared to the other 300+ bidders...you know that most of the buyers will sort by price and probably never read your bid anyway.

I also found it extremely irritating that you have to pay to bid. I don't have a problem with paying commission on work I have produced...I don't mind someone taking a cut for facilitating a new business relationship or project but requesting payment to tender for a job almost seems unethical. You'd never get someone contact you for a quote and tell you that you have to pay $10 before they'll even look at it.

But I had some good projects and learned a lot from the process. I wouldn't want to rely on those sites for a full-time income though.

Nangleator
05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
There's no money in music, unless it's a big label pimping the next Britney or Gaga. Other than that, it's peanuts and promises.

When I was freelance, I sold two family photo/video compilations on DVD. Hours and hours of scanning and retouching, editing the stuff into multiple music videos, menus, slideshows... Insane amounts of work.

The first was for a sister-in-law. She was so unhappy with my late delivery date (the gift went from being a birthday present to being a Christmas present,) that she got the gift for nothing. He said it was the best gift he got that year. She and her kids ended up hating me. Free. He loved it. She hates me now.

The other customer was a close friend, an ex-boss, and married to a billionaire. A billionaire. Took me over a year to get payment.

Freelance, for me at least, was another word for unemployed.

alexos
05-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I've been doing archviz for more than 15 years - the last 10+ in my own business. We have clients all around the country, and EVERYWHERE has slowed down to less than a crawl. of course we specialize in the single family homes market - hopefully those in other sectors are doing better.

I'm on the 10-years mark myself and yes, things have slowed down - and prices plummeted. On the other hand though, archviz is now no longer a luxury to be employed for the Big Project only but has become an everyday necessity, even for the small firms. So the market has widened and I rarely spend more than three/four days idly wondering when the next job will come... except each job now pays about 1/5 of what used to be the "standard" and there's a horde of kids with pirated copies of Max and VRay offering Pretty Pictures at Stupid Prices. The horror! Luckily most of these "hey, 3D is fun and costs nothing!" blasphemers aren't exactly... professional, so the more serious clients tend to avoid them; but small and casual jobs have entirely disappeared.

ADP.

stevecullum
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
The all or nothing nature of freelancing and lack of Lightwave studios in the UK has forced me to do this part-time for the past 3 years. I work for the NHS during the day to give me some bills/food money and 3D work pays for cars and holidays. I only need one or two 3d jobs in the year to healthily top up my day job salary...seems to be working out quite well so far...

Titus
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Same here.
All the time people ask me to help them out in video production
doing some post fx for them.
But when I quote them a realistic price, they freak out.
They want Avatar fx, at bargain prices.

Two weeks ago had a corporate client, a video for their sales workforce. The 3400x786 pixels video ended with their logo, a lion. They wanted "the lion from Narnia" for the next day. I said:"that's ok, you have to come on saturday an approve the model". Of course they choose the basic 2d logo.

robertoortiz
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Two weeks ago had a corporate client, a video for their sales workforce. The 3400x786 pixels video ended with their logo, a lion. They wanted "the lion from Narnia" for the next day. I said:"that's ok, you have to come on saturday an approve the model". Of course they choose the basic 2d logo.

WOW...
I mean,
WOW.

monovich
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I know things are rough in the VFX world right now, but in the design world things are booming. Designers who know VFX I would even say are at a premium and doing quite well. If you aren't making it as a freelancer or independent, it might be smart to log off the chat boards, re-engage your creative brain, and make something that will attract new clients.

I made my Porsche spec spot a couple of years ago now. It isn't perfect, and it took waaaay too long to make, but since it was released I've been wall to wall with automotive work and other types clients.

shrox
05-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Me, but let's hope not for long...

Lamont
05-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Me:"Go with your mate, he is obviously a genie"
Too funny!! I needed that laugh.

SBowie
05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Too funny!! I needed that laugh.Many moons ago, I worked as a painter. A customers would say, "I can get someone to paint my living room for much less!" I would reply "I'm sure you can. I'll even help you do so. I'll run down to the pub and line up a crew who will do it for you if you buy them a case of beer. But dealing with your wife afterward will be entirely your responsibility."

robertoortiz
05-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I know things are rough in the VFX world right now, but in the design world things are booming. Designers who know VFX I would even say are at a premium and doing quite well. If you aren't making it as a freelancer or independent, it might be smart to log off the chat boards, re-engage your creative brain, and make something that will attract new clients.

I made my Porsche spec spot a couple of years ago now. It isn't perfect, and it took waaaay too long to make, but since it was released I've been wall to wall with automotive work and other types clients.

I can attest to this.

People who can do Graphic design, 3D and some coding are in HIGH demand right now.

OnlineRender
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
One of the main reasons I am learning lscript ."badly" ;) another rant im still waiting for the last installment from my client another 30 days and one will be paying a visit nearly 90 days ripping it a little

jeric_synergy
05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I have friends who persist in thinking I'm an artist, no matter how many times I correct them to "technician".

LOL, usually it's because they haven't seen my stuff. :: weeps::

>;^)

jeric_synergy
05-26-2011, 12:14 PM
So, and I'm being serious, we should do some design-y type stuff (???), like our own mo-graph concepts, and play down the VFX/animator side of our pitch?

(Serious and not attacking the idea, just wondering how to implement it.)

biliousfrog
05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
So, and I'm being serious, we should do some design-y type stuff (???), like our own mo-graph concepts, and play down the VFX/animator side of our pitch?

(Serious and not attacking the idea, just wondering how to implement it.)

I think that one of the issues with people in 3D is that diversifying is often interpreted as meaning 'learning dynamics' or 'character animation' or, if you're mostly doing arch-viz, creating some 'organic models'. If you're wanting to appeal to a wider audience or have a better relationship with your (potential) clients you really need to look beyond your primary skillset, beyond 3D skills.

If you're primarily working in the film industry then perhaps learn about cinematography, lighting, sound design, compositing...get a video camera, make a film..

If you're working in the architectural field then maybe study design, buy a camera and photograph buildings, study interior design...

If you're working in advertising then study it, learn about marketing and branding, pull apart and redesign some packaging, take a graphic design course...

You'll gain new skills which will ultimately improve your understanding of the industry you work in, or wish to work in, and you will be able to converse more easily with your clients. You will also have additional skills which will expand your potential job opportunities.

OnlineRender
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
btw I was not kidding about indie , get your butts over to xna forums or unity or whatever similar site . there is always coders looking for artist and you can make a nice tidy profit especially on the xbox scene , but its all going Android now .

Airwaves
01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I do not know the right place to put my comment but I wanted to see if anyone here can do some work for me. This may not be the best spot to put this but I need some work done but they are small projects and I cannot afford to pay a ton. Thanks

jasonwestmas
01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I was out of work for quite some time. Found some work through the unity forums.

Airwaves
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
So if I am looking for people to pay to do a project I can look in the unity forums? Where are those. I am still new to all of this. Thanks

Do you do modeling for hire?

shrox
01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Broke, out of work, about out of time...

JonW
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Haven't done much 3d lately, but have done a few physical models which I enjoy doing. I have other income so I'm considerably more fortunate than others.

Quality of Arch-vis including using pocket cameras that is being supplied lately is the norm & is dropping in quality like a stone. I have no interest in dropping to this standard. The large jobs are more often having the model built & flown in from China.

Poor 3d work & renders, buildings not lining up or in incorrect position or leaning differently, & the photo very poorly taken. I really wonder why I bother with good equipment & putting in the effort.

If one follows this standard, a cheap model from a 3d printer is going to be the standard soon.

ericsmith
01-24-2012, 06:12 PM
I'd be up for some modeling for hire. PM me and we can talk.

Or you can email me:

eric (at) buzzyfunny (dot) com

Eric

P.S. This reel is several years old, but you can take a look:

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/EricSmithModelReel.mov

jasonwestmas
01-24-2012, 06:24 PM
So if I am looking for people to pay to do a project I can look in the unity forums? Where are those. I am still new to all of this. Thanks

Video Game and Simulation people hang here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/31-Commercial-Work

I do lots of modeling and texturing. . .Feel free to email me at jpwestmas at gmail dot com. I can send you some samples and flexible rates.

shrox
01-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Many of us do. We often fight to the death over work, that's why the number of available artists drops by one with almost every gig...

Airwaves
01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I was on the unity site and have also gotten responses from people. I wanted to thank you all for your help and if anyone else is interested let me know. Thank you.

OnlineRender
01-25-2012, 02:19 AM
atm I am driving an old postal van collecting xmas cards "whoppie" easy dosh and good dosh at that! ...as for 3D 1 client in feb and lightwiki is more than a full time job , just doesn't pay :)

OnlineRender
01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
websites start from Ģ360 and up .... just hanging it out there !

Kionel
01-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Hey, everyone --

Well, 2011 turned out to be a real crap year for my freelance work. Part of it was that my dreaded IT day job worked me 50 hours per week, leaving me practically brain-dead by the end of the workday. The other reason, though, was that my steady contacts saw their workload dry up a bit. Made for a frustrating time. Worse, my IT work has actually hurt me landing some full-time studio gigs, as I've been accused of being "too technical" to hop into a studio environment. Can't win for losing...

Rather than give up, though, I've resolved to go after more clients this year myself. Focus on the market for which I want to work, and just make it happen. After all, dreaming doesn't put food on the plate; hard work does.

In the meantime, as much as it pains me to say so, thank goodness for the day job. I may loathe it, but it does pay the bills.

jeric_synergy
01-25-2012, 03:45 PM
...as for 3D 1 client in feb and lightwiki is more than a full time job , just doesn't pay :)
Does LightWIKI.net get any advertising revenue?

I for one would be totally OK with that.

OnlineRender
01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Does LightWIKI.net get any advertising revenue?

I for one would be totally OK with that.

nope , we don't put adds on it ! not our style the users where generous enough to donate and pay for the servers for the first year , so there is no real reason for advertisement ,I would love for the site to make money "but it kinda loses the core concept of Lightwiki , however we support LW oriented sites/studios/anything and for a small donation we will happily fire an add up on the site ...

Ohh LightWiki V2 is just about ready and its sexy .... I mean god damn sexy ...

jeric_synergy
01-25-2012, 05:58 PM
"but it kinda loses the core concept of Lightwiki , however we support LW oriented sites/studios/anything and for a small donation we will happily fire an add up on the site ...
Bah, I think people should be happy that someone is willing to coordinate it all, and not begrudge them some slight advertising presence to make their lives easier.

Considering the ongoing dismal travail that is LightWave 'documentation', people should be ECSTATIC that someone is helping. Harumph.

bazsa73
01-26-2012, 01:07 AM
moderate amount of commercials will not do any harm and considering the present economical situation being fastidious is quite a luxury