PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring

3dfanatic
10-06-2003, 12:51 AM
Hi all, I ain't new to the 3d community but I am to the Video Editing community. I just bought myself a DV Camera like 3 days ago and already got a job I am working on and wanted to know where to purchase a great DVD Authoring program. I am using the Toaster 3 as well but don't want to compromise the look with just any authoring tool. I am sure there is already some information somewhere on this site but wasn't sure where to go to get it. Anyway please any help you can give would be great. Thanks for any help u can give.

Tom Wood
10-06-2003, 07:52 AM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11002

Scroll down to the post by ScorpioProductions on 9/29/03. I haven't entered this phase of the work yet, but Eugene has a lot of experience.

TW

3dfanatic
10-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Hi Tom,
thanks for the help. Has anyone here used DVDit or Ulead dvd authoring. I was told today that DVDit was much better and alot easier to use and more tools to work with, any ideas on this? They are both at the 299 range and just wanted to get the most for my money.
Thanks for any help and thanks again Tom

ScorpioProd
10-06-2003, 11:04 PM
If you get DVD Workshop, get the AC3 version.

I love it.

3dfanatic
10-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Hi ScorpioProd,
thanks for the response I guess everyone has a preference some one at the Avidd shop I guess didn't seem to like it for some reason, but then again it could of been a version long ago. So how does it compare to like say Rio? Does it have much more too it, such as tools and options?
Thanks for any response just need a bit more information before I lay down 300 bones, and I already have Rio just want to make sure its worth it thanks for you help.

trick
10-07-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
If you get DVD Workshop, get the AC3 version.

I love it.

If I always have enough space and I don't need Dolby5.1, what is the advantage in using AC3 ???
How much bandwidth do I gain by using it and is that worth the extra $199 ???

3dfanatic
10-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi ScorpioProd,
you stated in another section of the forum this information. I am a little confused about why you said to go and purchase this software, especially if it already comes with T3. Is the version to purchase different than the one that comes with T3? And if show why is it worth spending the extra 29.00

You need to encode your video to MPEG-2. I recommend buying TMPGEnc for that.

Thanks for any help you can give.

sbrandt
10-07-2003, 02:56 PM
I think Ulead DVD Workshop is the most bang for the buck.

I'm not sure DVDit allows real time action backgrounds under the body copy and buttons or even real time buttons either...!?!!

Eugene do you know?

Sometime this month I'm going to break down and get Adobe Encore. Mainly because it seamlessly imports and exports PSD files with Photoshop and retains the layers and layer styles and atributes, and has very intuitive and quick linking functionality.

videoguy
10-07-2003, 03:11 PM
i would try adobe encore it rocks the toast. the toaster avis work seamslessly with it and it is super easy to use

Scott Bates
10-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 3dfanatic
... I am a little confused about why you said to go and purchase this software, especially if it already comes with T3. Is the version to purchase different than the one that comes with T3?

TMPGEnc does not come with VT[3], only NewTek's plugin that allows TMPGEnc to read and use VT-Edit Projects as the video and audio sources. We have to already have purchased and have TMPGEnc installed on our system.

3dfanatic
10-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Oh thanks Sbates for that bit of information. I was planning to start this DVD Authoring this weekend and now I will go ahead and pay the 29.00 bucks for TMPGEnc then.

Scott Bates
10-07-2003, 07:21 PM
It will be among the best 29 bucks you've ever spent :)

And don't forget that after installing TMPGEnc you'll have to run the "3rd Party Application Driver Installer" from Start > Programs > VT[3] > Utilities. Even if you ran it when you installed VT[3] and/or the latest Patch, it won't install the plugin unless it finds TMPGEnc already installed on the system.

Norman
10-08-2003, 02:48 AM
TMPGEnc is $48, not $29. Still, more than worth the price.

ScorpioProd
10-09-2003, 01:51 AM
OK, well, someone already answered the question that TMPGEnc doesn't come with VT[3], just the plug-in for it.

As for the question about why use AC-3. Well, AC-3 is the ONLY NTSC legal compressed audio format for DVD use.

So, if you can fit everything you need with linear PCM, that is the way to go. But if you need compressed audio, stereo AC-3 is the way to go.

As for other authoring applications, I'm honestly only an expert with DVD Workshop. I started with MyDVD! and that really unimpressed me to that company's line of products.

If you go to Ulead's website you can see all the neat features DVD Workshop AC3 has. I find it very easy to use. It has tons of templates that you can totally customize and then resave.

3dfanatic
10-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks for your help all of you. I went and order the Ulead dvd authoring program last night with a couple of books for help and will be getting the TMPGEnc program this weekend just by downloading it. Anyway thanks again all.

djlithium
10-14-2003, 03:34 AM
MyDVD, REELDVD and DVDit all from Sonic blows chunks as far as DVD authoring goes.

I don't understand how anyone can make DVD's using that crap software. The company is also brutal with techsupport. We use Encore in the shop in the back where the visual FX guys put their discs together for on set computer screen playback and they bang stuff out daily that looks amazing.

Top notch stuff for sure.

Just wish it wasn't an adobe product. Something about that fact turns me off... but it does do great job.

mgrusin
10-14-2003, 12:27 PM
If anyone is looking for a very cheap (<$100) DVD authoring program, that does more than other very cheap DVD authoring programs, try DVD-Lab (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/). It's still maturing, but mostly works well, the forums seem well-populated, and new versions appear regularly. Unrestricted 30-day free trial too.

-MG

pnelson
10-15-2003, 10:22 AM
I'm using DVD Workshop and have been VERY impressed with it's reliability and ease of use!

Later,

Kurt_Henning
10-15-2003, 11:26 PM
our studio has used DVD workshop and My DVD PRo blah blah

My advice. Test drive Encore.

Tastes great. Less filling.

stable and easy to use.

This is software that you start clicking the crap and pretty soon (about 20 minutes or so) you get it and you can do some pretty cool stuff in the first week.

It's your money.

You can test drive encore.

I would recomend trying all the demos abd see what suits you best.