PDA

View Full Version : AES Audio

bradl
10-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Anybody got AES (SDI option) input/output working yet? It was supposed to be enabled with the patch. I set it to be active with SDI input in preferences but it doesn't show up in the audio mixer.

Update:

It does pass the AES when I use the Capture module, but it was very low. I cranked the input knob on the module but still only getting about 1/2 of what I should and no AES out. Will try some more tomorrow...

Lord Beowulf
03-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi bradl,

how long is your audio cable, which you use with AES/EBU XLR to BNC adaptor?

I heard from my technician, that it should really not longer than 2m because of signal reflections/ loss etc... perhaps it could explain your audio distortion, which you meantioned in another thread...

Tonight i get a J-3/SDI an i will able to test the capturing process...

Beo

bradl
03-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Since I posted the above message we have SDI in and out working. Input still needs to be cranked and we get -20db output which is normal for SDI so we are fairly happy with the setup. We also have to convert 44.1 to 48 for some reason to pass through our digital router.

Analog in and out is another story. We had to crank the analog output (at the audio D/A) nearly 18 db to bring it up to 0vu reference. Thankfully we don't rely on it for our final out very often.

As far as the length of cables after the XLR/BNC transformers it is only about 2 feet. I are not getting distortion with our current setup. I do get distortion when I try to adjust a clips level up more than about 8db. If we need more than that I double the audio track. There were some changes in how audio is handled on the Timeline with Patch 3 but I have not done enough with it yet to know.