PDA

View Full Version : The End of the World

VonBon
05-20-2011, 09:12 AM
im sure yall have heard that some say tomorrow is the end of the world.
well, just incase, Its been fun chilln with everybody. :beerchug:

wait a minute, ain't the 21st already somewhere in the world? ;D

Nangleator
05-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Wish I had a buck for every end of the world.

Oh, wait... I think someone's thought of that scam already!

Elmar Moelzer
05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
There are no cosmic events and no other forseeable catastrophies looming AND most importantly tomorrow is not a Monday (and we all KNOW that the world will end on a Monday, right? ;) ). So given all these facts I seriously doubt, the world will end tomorrow.
But then the romans said "mors certa, hora incerta", death is certain, the hour is not.
;)

art
05-20-2011, 10:41 AM
So how many more EOTW predictions do we still have left?

SBowie
05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
On reflection, I suppose I really should say that, although undoubtedly meant as good clean fun and not to upset anyone, it's possible that some who hold such matters dear could find needless offense in this thread - whether they think tomorrow is 'special' or not. It would be appreciated if we could just shelve it, please, in view of the forum policy on religious topics.

Elmar Moelzer
05-20-2011, 11:19 AM
So how many more EOTW predictions do we still have left?
An infinite number, I am affraid.

Elmar Moelzer
05-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Steve, I think that this particular prediction is referring to the Mayan calender in some way (did not care enough to check it completely). So it is not really religious in nature, but simply superstitious.

SBowie
05-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I think that this particular prediction is referring to the Mayan calender in some way (did not care enough to check it completely). So it is not really religious in nature, but simply superstitious.I'm not sure where this specific prediction originated, but I don't think the 'rapture' reference comes from the Mayans, and it might be best to just leave it alone, whatever one's personal views on the topic are.

[edit: here it is: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/05/20/judgement-day.html?ref=rss

Pack your bags, don't, whatever you like, but let's let this topic slide by out of courtesy to others who, while they may or may not subscribe to the prediction, may at least hold some related matters as personal convictions.

-EsHrA-
05-20-2011, 01:40 PM
ah yes...see you guys! ;)

VonBon
05-20-2011, 03:39 PM
my apologies :(

daforum
05-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I got to live longer as I haven't finished my projects yet....please?

Elmar Moelzer
05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure where this specific prediction originated

Ok, I could finally be bothered to read it up and you are right, it is (Christian) religiously motivated.
So I apologize to all that I might have offended and I hope there wont be to many long faces tomorrow.
There, that was nice though, wasnt it? ;)

SBowie
05-20-2011, 04:34 PM
There, that was nice though, wasnt it? ;)Just lovely ... :thumbsup:

zardoz
05-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Guess we won't see Core finished hey? ahah

jeric_synergy
05-20-2011, 05:49 PM
So it is not really religious in nature, but simply superstitious.
ROTFL! Like there's a difference.

Which was most likely your point, too subtle for moi.

Elmar Moelzer
05-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Which was most likely your point, too subtle for moi.
Well after all the conversational broadsides that have been exchanged on this forum lately, I decided that I wanted to be a bit more subtle.
Sigh, cant make it right for everyone, I guess ;)

shrox
05-20-2011, 08:53 PM
ROTFL! Like there's a difference.

You guys always seem to forget about me, a Quaker with a 212 IQ, maybe there is something to it...(not the end of the world part... that's a given. And the world always ends at Midnight local time, Eastern and Specific...)

-EsHrA-
05-21-2011, 03:58 AM
...maybe not.

Lamont
05-21-2011, 05:53 AM
wait a minute, ain't the 21st already somewhere in the world? ;DThat part of the world is gone. I've got 3 hours and 19 minutes of life left. Gonna spend it backing up my data.

-EsHrA-
05-21-2011, 05:57 AM
it got cancelled...phew! :)

probiner
05-21-2011, 06:17 AM
it got postponed...phew! :)

fixed! :D

OnlineRender
05-21-2011, 06:47 AM
it got cancelled...phew! :)

it's back on mate , GOD just sent a twitter msg

" BRB , pick you up at 6pm BST "

Nicolas Jordan
05-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Gonna spend it backing up my data.

That's a good idea, I forgot all about backing up my work. :D

shrox
05-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I hope all of you realize many of my comments about "Christianity" are tongue in check. While I am a Friend of Jesus, I hope you do realize I do not subscribe to any mortal's claim to know the date or time of any event other than maybe when Core or 9.6.1 will come out...and those LW prophets have been wrong too.

kopperdrake
05-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Sheesh - the end of the world was nigh, and I went and missed it. Looking at the clock, seems it's all happened and done now. Are we there yet?

cagey5
05-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm here, are you here?

Danner
05-21-2011, 09:45 PM
the world ended, this is the matrix

Dodgy
05-21-2011, 10:26 PM
So it is not really religious in nature, but simply superstitious.

The difference is?
<edit> jeric beat me to it...

Fausto
05-22-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure why religious and non-religious folks feel compelled to share their point of view so often. Either you believe or you don't. If you do, and you derive benefit from it, great! If you don't and feel secure that you know something others don't and of course that this knowledge is a comfort to you, terrific! For the do's and the don'ts why criticize others for their opinion just because it's contrary to your own?

As for the world ending, it certainly ended for the dinosaurs didn't it? Events like that could happen at any time, with or without warning. Sure the odds aren't great, but it is possible.

Mr Rid
05-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Apocalypse No

ArtGoblin
05-22-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm not sure that religion or non-religion has anything to do with anything... this "end of the world" has to do with just one thing, and that's that the guy "predicting" this managed to convice a lot of good but gullable people to donate or give him all there money so that they coul have salvation or something in that direction. In one interview before the world was supposed to end, he was asked what he'd do with the money if the world wouldn't actually end... he never answered, just came radiosilence untill the interviewer asked another question haha... so again, this had nothing to do with being religous or not religous, all it was is a douche scamming money out of people.

Bytheway... didn't he say that it would start with earthquakes? Another volcano just started erupting here in Iceland... yikes !

cresshead
05-22-2011, 02:42 AM
'and so it begins'

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95402&d=1306053706

kosmodave
05-22-2011, 03:37 AM
'and so it begins'

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95402&d=1306053706

The upside, Now we don't have to worry about Core being finished or not :D

-EsHrA-
05-22-2011, 03:50 AM
"I'm not sure why religious and non-religious folks feel compelled to share their point of view so often."

you dont?!.
whos coming up again and again with these ludicrous claims!?..

bad ideas should be pointed out, since when is that unrespectfull?!..

mlon

SBowie
05-22-2011, 06:31 AM
'and so it begins'Looks like a scene from Jericho (which I was disappointed they ended, btw).

Anyway - it's tricky to take a neutral stance on a subject like this one, which has a number of interesting elements for ... let's just say 'discussion'. Nevertheless, the entire thread is in pretty clear breach of forum policy, so I have to. Despite the situation offering a splendid vehicle for the clever wits in our midst to frolic on the fringes of acceptability, it's clearly just a matter of time until it turns from playful to nasty. Let's find something else to expend that energy on, shall we? Thanks.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-22-2011, 06:42 AM
ha!

apocalypse no

Elmar Moelzer
05-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Looks like a scene from Jericho (which I was disappointed they ended, btw).
Loved the show too! All I can say ending it was "nuts"!

SBowie
05-22-2011, 07:16 AM
I probably shouldn't say which current shows I like. Historically, if I like them, it seems to doom them. Other examples in recent memory were Shark, the Good Guys, and a bit further back, Space Above and Beyond (the first sci-fi show I could get my wife interested in)

Dodgy
05-22-2011, 07:21 AM
I did enjoy Jericho too. Invasion was also one I was getting into before it got chopped... though its plot sped up a lot towards the end, which improved it quite a lot. American Gothic was another slow burn start which got really good toward the end. On the other hand BSG, B5 and supernatural have gone on for ages :)

jeric_synergy
05-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Although a forum dedicated to a specific company's software and hardware offerings may not be the ideal place ... [edited by moderator].

SBowie
05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Although a forum dedicated to a specific company's software and hardware offerings may not be the ideal place ... It's not just that it's not the ideal place, it's not the place at all . If we were to subscribe to the notion that this is a suitable place for the debunking of all myths, poorly-based suppositions, credulous convictions, fraud of all types (religious, commercial, political, etc.) we'd have a world class free-for-all. No-one comes here for that.

Here's a conviction you can take to the bank,though: The end (of this thread) is not merely nigh ... it has arrived. (I tried hinting, I tried changing the subject, I'm done trying. Care to quibble, feel free to email or PM me.)