PDA

View Full Version : Beginner.

Syaoran
05-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Hello y'all!

I've been learning how to model (box modeling) with modeler in college in the past couple weeks, and, what started to be a bother became a new passion. I learned that even though it is not easy I enjoy it a lot...even though I've only modeled two objects in a rush for evaluation.

Now that i have much more free time to spend I started to model a human body (a male) and i've searched for tutorials and stuff. But there are some things that i cannot grasp yet (and the teacher doesn't know too), like the flow, or the path that polygons follow
through a model.

I've come across a problem that infuriates me, you see that "pinch" (is that the right word?) in the picture? Well, it appears every now and then when many polygons share one point and i can't make it disapear.
I guess it has something to do with flow (been looking for the right terms) and the "reduce polys" tool right? But that tool doesn't work.

I tried to follow some tutorials like this onehere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xo9SsPobu4&feature=related), and the guy seems to have the same problem around the nose, but then he merges the polygons with some tool but since he doesn't speak...i can't follow.

By the way, I am not an native english speaker, so i'd like to apologize beforehand for any grammar mistake.

OnlineRender
05-20-2011, 09:31 AM
from memory

how to fix things like this

1) you can spin the quads to change the direction of the polygon
2) you can bandsaw adding more geometry
3) you can add points
4) just grab the edge and pull it towards you a little :)

Snosrap
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Star patterns of 5 or more coming out of points are generally bad. Spin edges can help as well as add edges to redirect the flow of the polygons. There are other techniques as well.