PDA

View Full Version : I recovered a model lost months ago

Traveler
05-20-2011, 05:16 AM
Here's something you may find useful to know.

While doing some disk cleaning (removal of useless and very large files) I stumbled upon this directory: c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub (Win7, but vista/xp probably has a path similar)
It measured nearly 3gb and it contained a lot of lwo files I had used in some way over the past year, including one I thought had gone lost.

Anyways, I thought this could help someone else, who has lost a model too in the past and doesn't perform regular cleaning ops.

ArtGoblin
05-20-2011, 06:13 AM
ooooo.... sweet tip ! thanks for the heads-up ! I'm going hunting for some lost gems right now :)

zardoz
05-20-2011, 07:46 AM
if you setup the hub to save backups that's where everything goes, objects and scenes

you have also this plugin by trueart
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/LoadBackupObject
in modeler it opens that directory and you can open any object there.

Tobian
05-20-2011, 08:38 AM
it's worth noting you should flush out that whole folder every now and again as it is just temp junk (which happened to be very useful in this case).

This is especially worth remembering if HUB crashes when you start LW, go in there and flush that lot, and Hub should run again. I think it's one of the reasons many people have issues with Hub! :)

Philbert
05-21-2011, 01:10 AM
I have the hub set to auto-save every 5 mins. It's saved me countless times. I was never really sure when it autosaves though, it's definitely not making a new saved file every 5 mins.

wrench
05-21-2011, 01:56 PM
And up until 10.1 it was no use on the Mac where the directory used was *really* inaccessible...

B

ChrisBasken
05-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Dang, I wish I knew this a few years back when I lost a bunch of stuff. I've since then moved on to a completely different computer.

bazsa73
05-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I just recovered a file too which I stupidly overwrote when saved as 'Saved Transformed'.
Used few times only but then it came really handy.