PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a SpaceShip

AmigaNewTek
05-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Hello everyone,

i'm modelling a spaceship and want to get, of course, the best result. I'm not a professional user with Modeler and Layout and i don't know al the trick to get decent results.

I have two question:

1) it is best to model different part of the ship in one layer only, or mode each part in different layers?

2) What's the best way top add detail to a model?

Thank you very much.

regards

OnlineRender
05-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Hello everyone,

i'm modelling a spaceship and want to get, of course, the best result. I'm not a professional user with Modeler and Layout and i don't know al the trick to get decent results.

I have two question:

1) it is best to model different part of the ship in one layer only, or mode each part in different layers?

2) What's the best way top add detail to a model?

Thank you very much.

regards

personaly I make everything in layers then copy paste them into whatever layer I think is complete .

as for detail , there is several methods from bump maps-displacement , take a look cressheads video in the magical blender thread , he shows a great workflow bringing your model into blender and using the sculpting tools .

AmigaNewTek
05-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Thank you. I'm thinking about to use some stencil or import eps to LW modeler. I need to draw the hangar door of the spaceship, some kind of arts here and there. Never used to stencil some geometry onto other polygons. Any good tutorial on this? Would be great to have a tool that automatically imprints geometry inside polygons, with automatic scale, angle and so on...

OnlineRender
05-20-2011, 04:03 AM
you can do that easily , have a look at protons tuts on newteks site ,

for example you draw in illustrator and export the eps , bring it into modeller you can use the stencil tools or slice to shape the poly

AmigaNewTek
05-20-2011, 04:09 AM
I will check these tutorials, thank you.

Silkrooster
05-20-2011, 11:05 PM
If you don't own illustrator, corel draw, or any other app that can export a vector eps file, you can easily use the pen tool or spline tool to create the outline of your door on a separate layer for a stencil.

netstile123
05-23-2011, 07:49 PM
That is what I am working on myself for my second project- I have learned working on mine as soon as I had a basic Idea of my ship form I Have been doing tons of knifes and cuts and bevels to produce a cool look

AmigaNewTek
05-26-2011, 03:00 AM
I'm using the following techniques:

Use Photoshop to paint/draw the same texture of the ship, adding line, shapes or text extruding or embossing directly in photoshop, then apply the modyfied texture to a surface in Lightwave in the Color or Diffuse Channel (playing with different blending mode).