PDA

View Full Version : What, normal export again?!?

clagman
05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Yes sorry. Hopefully we have something new here. I did my home work searching the forums but all solutions have something to do with per surface based shaders. I have some objects I would like to get normals out of (and into AE for relighting) without creating many copies with a single surface to deal with if possible. The buffer has no AA applied and with bump maps it looks dreadful.

So I suppose we need a per object or global scene solution for this where we can get smoothed normal export (so the bumps look nice) with surfaces intact (for the RAW color export). Or am I just missing the obvious?

dwburman
05-19-2011, 09:36 PM
If you need to render the full scene and not bake a UV map, you can set your NM shading on one surface (We'll call it Surface A). Then add the Surf Mixer (Surface Mixer?) to the next surface (Surface B), open the surface mixer controls, select Surface A from the drop down and change the mix value to 100%. This overwrite's the B surface with the settings from the A surface. Now copy the Surf Mixer shader and paste it to all the other surface. The nice thing with this method is that even though it's tedious, it's non-destructive.

I believe ShaderMeister (http://www.db-w.com/) will do what you want with much less work.

clagman
05-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes that will work! Better to have a dedicated normal pass scene than a bunch of duplicate objects hanging around. Thanks!

dwburman
05-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, the Surface Mixer Shader still saves with object, so if you're planning on opening a scene and rendering, you'll still want duplicate objects. If you're rendering the scenes one at a time, you can apply the shader to the surfaces and then uncheck them before saving the objects. Hopefully, it'll save the relation to master surface even if it's unchecked. Just turn it back on when you want to do the normal pass.

clagman
05-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Arrgh that's true. I don't know where my head is at. I have to find a better solution, I wish the normal pass was better.

Sensei
05-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Well, the Surface Mixer Shader still saves with object, so if you're planning on opening a scene and rendering, you'll still want duplicate objects.

With TrueArt's SaveSceneAndAllObjectsIncrement http://www.trueart.pl it's no problem..
Click it, then open duplicated scene and change any way you want and use regular SaveSceneAndAllObjects, then send to render farm.