PDA

View Full Version : Dining area

otacon
05-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Here's another interior I finished up. I like dining rooms that have mismatched chairs..it's pretty interesting, so I wanted to make a scene like that. All lw as usual. Comments welcome.

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/cg/dine1.jpg

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/cg/dine2.jpg

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/cg/dine3.jpg

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/cg/dine4.jpg

MAUROCOR
05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Just beautiful! Congrats, very simple but well done! Textures are great!:thumbsup:

4dartist
05-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Looks great, I love the texturing. I think the miss match chairs are pretty neat.

Larry_g1s
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Absolutely amazing Jason... The lighting looks great as usual, but the textures are just exceptional this time around. Really great job.

How much of this is with linear workflow from LW? Last thread I read you were trying it more.

funk
05-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Seriously... you are the lw master. Beautiful work!

Afalk
05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I am really in love with this set of renders -- just Gorgeous! Now I'd love to see a version dirtied up complete w/muddy footprints on the ground from the family dog. :D

vector
05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Beautiful images!

Vector

simno
05-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Lovely work!

What did you use to render, Native LW or 3rd Party?
It all looks very nice.

Simon.

otacon
05-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. It's all lw render engine...which I still think is one of the best. I really like working in linear workflow using vpr in 10. It hasn't really changed my process much, except I can get a better idea of the final image since it gamma corrects the vpr in lightwave. Before I would have to render out test images, then tonemap them to make sure my surfaces were light/dark enough. I still render to .hdr and tonemap in post for finals.

injacphi
05-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Otacon, you're work is always perfect. If you could share 1 scene with all the texture just to see your techniques, it could help a lot of people here, precisely me :)

funk
05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Octacon can you show us the raw render from lw? I'm curious to see the difference compared to your tonemapped versions.

otacon
05-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks. Not sure I can share the scene, theres a lot of stuff in there. Here's some images showing the raw .hdr on left, tonemapped in middle, and final on right.

funk
05-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Awesome... how about them wires? :) Curious to see how you set up your lighting

otacon
05-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Here are the wires. You cant really see the light setup from here. Basically I have a luminous poly outside each window that are set to 250%. I have a couple small area lights just outside of the camera view with linear falloff. These just provide a bit of fill. Most the light comes from the luminous polys.

Snosrap
05-19-2011, 10:33 PM
This is just freaking amazing!!!

Fadlabi
05-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Great job!

Nightglow
05-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Seriously cool stuff, mate. Brilliant work. LOVE the texturing detail, really stellar.

Afalk
05-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks for sharing the extra details -- again, beautiful work!

titin
05-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Simply amazing Otacon. Itīd be a great idea to share the scene to learn. Thanks

Pavlov
05-21-2011, 04:24 AM
Ohh.. this is the Otacon i know;)
absolutely great, nothing to say. Something to ask tough: can you share a snapshot of your Linear workflow panel ?

thanks,
Paolo

giacob
05-21-2011, 12:20 PM
amazing, very good lighting..
i wonder
-why u prefer using luminous panels instead than area lights ?
- if i use luminous panels i got more splotchy gi and i get less conctat shadows... how u manadge avoiding splotch with luminous panels and less contact shadows?
- what are your GI settings?

Pavlov
05-21-2011, 05:20 PM
same here - in Kray i'm used to luminous polys as main diffuse light source, but in LW i get very low-quality GI out of them. Any secret about this ?

bye
Paolo

otacon
05-22-2011, 12:15 AM
I will post the GI settings and linear workflow panel when I get back to my machine. What I remember is pixel spacing was 2 min, 80 max, 1024 rays.

I agree about area lights, I think they give better results. The reason I like using luminous polys is because of the reflections they give. Area lights don't show in reflections. Using polys with 300% luminosity shows up on all your reflections, even small amounts which look great. Whenever I would compare lw to vray I would always notice the reflections in lw were not very strong, even if you have high settings. Using luminosity values over 100% helps this a lot. Also, I think when lw 9 came out with the new radiosity and usable blurry reflections it changed my view of lighting with luminous polys...I started using them more.

I wish lightwave had an option where you could have a luminous poly be seen by rays, but not give off light when using radiosity. Then I could use a poly for reflections and light with area lights.

funk
05-22-2011, 02:29 AM
I wish lightwave had an option where you could have a luminous poly be seen by rays, but not give off light when using radiosity. Then I could use a poly for reflections and light with area lights.

It does. Put your luminous poly in a new layer if its not a separate object already, then go to object properties > render > unseen by radiosity

Id also suggest unchecking self/cast/receive shadow so you can put an area light in the same position as the luminous poly.

Iain
05-22-2011, 11:49 AM
These have a very soothing effect on me. I love the close ups.

The modelling is exceptional as is the texturing, especially on the little blue table and the Eames chair.

And a LW render making front page on Evermotion! Good man :thumbsup:

Iain
05-22-2011, 11:54 AM

I use Image World with a HDRI in all my interior work for this very reason. It doesn't affect the lighting much but gives openings a realistic glow in reflections.

otacon
05-22-2011, 02:25 PM
It does. Put your luminous poly in a new layer if its not a separate object already, then go to object properties > render > unseen by radiosity

Id also suggest unchecking self/cast/receive shadow so you can put an area light in the same position as the luminous poly.

Unseen by radiosity will make the poly not recieve radiosity, but it will still give off light. Checking unseen by rays will turn off light casting, but will also make it unseen by reflections. I need a way to control reflection rays and radiosity rays separate.

funk
05-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Unseen by radiosity will make the poly not recieve radiosity, but it will still give off light. Checking unseen by rays will turn off light casting, but will also make it unseen by reflections. I need a way to control reflection rays and radiosity rays separate.

hmmm... I just tested this out... the luminous poly gives off no light.

Are you sure you tried this?

EDIT: Im attaching a scene. It has a lumipoly on layer 2. It has unseen by radiosity checked. It gives off no light, but still appears in reflections, which is what we want. You can now position an area light in the same place to light the scene.

3DGFXStudios
05-22-2011, 04:11 PM

I agree they need to make a render flag for that. But they need to make render flags for more things like reflection and refraction. The unseen by rays flag is a bit rude in my opinion :bday:

But uhh very nice render you have there ;) :thumbsup:

funk
05-22-2011, 04:24 PM
I just attached a scene to my previous post. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to do, then lightwave already does it. Check out the simple test scene

otacon
05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Looks like you are right. I must have got mixed up somewhere.

funk
05-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Looks like you are right. I must have got mixed up somewhere.

Thats good to hear! I was starting to worry that I had lost my mind since Iain and 3DGFXStudios were agreeing with you.

digitaldoc
05-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Beautiful work, Jason.

Iain
05-23-2011, 05:14 AM
...................since Iain and 3DGFXStudios were agreeing with you.

I just don't like luminous polys. Area Lights give much better results imho.

funk
05-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I just don't like luminous polys. Area Lights give much better results imho.

OK people arent reading whats being said and there is some confusion :)

Otacon was using luminous polys because the polygon appears in reflections, giving you nicer realistic reflections on your objects.

I showed him how to use area lights to light the scene, while maintaining the reflection from the luminous poly, but disabling light cast from it.

He didnt think it was possible to do this in lightwave because he misunderstood how the "unseen by radiosity" flag works (and you agreed with him here http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1145196#post1145196 )

He thought that the luminous polygon still casts light when "unseen by radiosity" is checked... it doesnt :)

otacon
05-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks. Here's a shot of the GI settings and linear workflow panel.

Iain
05-23-2011, 05:48 PM
............... he misunderstood how the "unseen by radiosity" flag works (and you agreed with him here http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1145196#post1145196 )

Well, thanks but I think I'm following the discussion fine.
I didn't agree with anything to do with "unseen by radiosity."
I stated that I use Imageworld with Area Lights so that openings appear to be bright light sources in reflections.
Luminous polys would do the same thing as ImageWorld but I don't like using them as light sources. They have their purposes but in real world (or photographic) terms, I feel they are more akin to bounce cards than natural or artificial lights.

Iain
05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks. Here's a shot of the GI settings and linear workflow panel.

Jason, are you using occlusion on the wall/floor junctions etc?
I think that's where the nice painterly feel is coming from as it's so soft but still very nicely defined.

otacon
05-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Yes I did an occlusion pass and layered it in post. It adds a bit of shading, but take a look at the images I posted on page 1 that show the tonemapped render compared to the final. You can see in the middle image (without AO pass) that the corners still look pretty good.

funk
05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
I use Image World with a HDRI in all my interior work for this very reason. It doesn't affect the lighting much but gives openings a realistic glow in reflections.

Well, thanks but I think I'm following the discussion fine.
I didn't agree with anything to do with "unseen by radiosity."
I stated that I use Imageworld with Area Lights so that openings appear to be bright light sources in reflections.
Luminous polys would do the same thing as ImageWorld but I don't like using them as light sources. They have their purposes but in real world (or photographic) terms, I feel they are more akin to bounce cards than natural or artificial lights.

I see. Please accept my apologies. Of course this method is only good if you have openings and it still contributes to light being cast.

Using a luminous poly for reflections will let you simulate the reflection from lights (lamps, downlights, tv screens etc) in a more realistic way than regular specular.

Anyone looking at the high quality of your work understands that you dont need my advice anyway :)

Lewis
05-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Stunning work Jason, It could go into any furniture magazine/catalog without any suspicion that ain't real :)

Iain
05-24-2011, 01:46 AM
you dont need my advice anyway :)

Not at all.
I'm always keen to learn new things-discussions on subjects like this are vital for all of us, as are inspiring threads like this.

M-X
05-24-2011, 05:26 AM
Brilliant work! And a great ambassador for the lightwave render engine!!

khan973
05-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Awesome, you're floor surface is great.
How long did it take to render? What were your antialiasing ans GI settings if I may ask?
I always thought LW could not really do that in a decent time with lumipoly

otacon
05-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks. Render time was about an hour and half for the full shot, 30min each for closeups. GI settings I posted on this page. AA was 9 passes, .038 adaptive sampling, .18 oversample.

erikals
06-06-2011, 03:23 PM
beautiful,...
not sure why the vase is so black at the bottom?

otacon
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
The shadow is just too strong.

erikals
06-06-2011, 04:00 PM
maybe up the GI bounces on that object only?
(under object properties)
it should take away some of the effect...

djwaterman
06-07-2011, 04:37 AM
Otacon and Iain, both of you are turning out possibly the most eye opening LW renders out there, and I'm totally a fan now and will be coming back often to glean what I can from your works.

Matt
06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Simply stunning work Jason.

dee
06-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Excellent work!!! :thumbsup:

Iain, what kind of HDRI are you using in Image World, is it a landscape photo or something more abstract?

BlackJack3D
06-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Amazing work!

geotecnia
06-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Very nice! I would have never remembered this! Great!
The chairs are so interesting!

universalpenman
06-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Dude we should hang out every once in a wile! what you think?? hahahahahaha
your images are just awesome man they make me want to learn more of lightwave

:thumbsup: ;)

giacob
07-22-2011, 04:19 PM
i suppose the raw render output is in linear
would be very nice to see how looks rgb color corretted render output
in order to compare the differences between rgb render output /linear render output / tonemapped image

otacon
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Yes its linear. On my next one I will try to do that comparison.

sony
08-08-2011, 06:17 PM
makes me want to sit down and take a nap