PDA

View Full Version : Updated howto for IK?

kalero
05-19-2011, 07:56 AM
I've got every video possibly related to IK from the newtek free videos, and they're mostly from version 8. Unfortunately, as a beginner, I'm not able to make the leap from the instructions in those videos to the current screens. There are multiple tabs & options that don't exist in the videos, and the settings from the videos are all relocated & renamed in version 10.

Of course, the help file is just as out-of-date.

I'm just trying to figure out how to set up a simple IK foot rig in Layout. It's child's play in other, similar applications, and I've been able to figure it out on my own. Unfortunately with LW, I'm not finding any reference that can walk me through the process - unless I want to dig up & install an older version...

More specifically, I have a leg bone setup. The hip bone is set to 'unaffected by IK descendants', the next bone - upper_leg - gets its target (?) set to the ankle bone (or a null in that position,but I'm keeping it simple for the moment). The upper_leg, ankle, and anything in-between gets its X/Y/Z position controller set to IK. That's what it seems like I should set - to make the leg IK drive off movement of the ankle bone. It doesn't work, but it's the closest idea I've been able to cobble together. Corrections appreciated, thanks!

Baba
05-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Check out Rebel Hill's site www.rebelhill.net. He has got a few hours of free tutorials and if you are considering to do some serious rigging I can recommend his RHR tutorials. Or wait for Lino Grandi's dvd :)

kalero
05-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Given how much trouble I'm having learning to rig in LW, I'm afraid to buy anything not made for v10 at this point. The sample RH videos that I've downloaded seem to ramble... or maybe that's because I'm getting so frustrated that I'm a bit impatient. ;)

And in a karmic boot to the keister, I find this thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116282&highlight=rigging where RH's post does more to straighten me out than anything I've found in 2 days. /headdesk

Baba
05-19-2011, 08:59 AM
It's not that great a pain. For your example: set the hip bone to unafected then set the rotation controllers for the leg bone on inverse kinematics (no target) for the ankle bone (knee joint) inverse kinematics for pitch. Add a null and snap it to the tip of the ankle (or the base of the foot if you like) make this null the goal for the foot bone.

kalero
05-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Yep, I was using location instead of rotation. Total rookie blunder. I feel so awkward posting stupid questions on the boards! Thanks, man.

RebelHill
05-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Rambling... me... surely not. Though i do go through an awful lot of stuff, explaining every facet of what does and doesnt work, and why... so long winded and concise, sure.

As for the V10 thing though... there's nothing different in v10 over 9.6... all the rigging controls and workflows are exactly the same (there've been a couple small, and I do mean small, additions in v10, but nothing that affects the whole, and at any rate, these changes are covered in the tuts)... so basically my whole series is just as good for 10 as it was for 9.6.

But Im glad my other post helped you out... IK is pretty simple once you get the basic idea of 2D IK, and parent space.

kalero
05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Well I've certainly got no business grumping at someone who goes out of their way to help eradicate random cluelessness. Now if I could only order RH videos via Amazon... ;)