realgray
05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice catch, thanks for the post.

robyht
05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up

robyht
05-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Actually, just watching Rob on that interview makes me feel real happy with Lightwave. I have vacillated for a good few years now about what software to use in our small studio; you see a fabulous demo of a plug-in for Maya, XSI, Houdini, etc. etc.. and you think yes, I need that renderer, dynamics, character rig, But when it comes down to it (ie deadline, quality, cost, profit) you just cant beat Lightwave. I have tried, tested, rendered and fretted over many other options but I still feel that with Rob and the dedicated team of programmers, designers and passionate users then nothing can stop Lightwave remaining one of the top choices for CGI artists. Just listen to the additions to the breath of tools he describes for stereoscopic work. We are just about to start work on a stereo corporate movie, and all of those features of 10.1 we need, will use and want more of, well done Newtek, cool.

Netvudu
05-18-2011, 05:56 PM
oh my god, the world turned upside down and I love it! Please, check Robīs video, and then go and check Autodeskīs (Maurice Patel) video and youīll see the shining difference.
Rob shows the nice stuff, shows his excitement about it, and he has so many things to tell heīs clearly short on time to show all the goodies. Itīs 7 and a half minutes and it clearly feels short.

As for Autodesk interview...itīs 4 and a half minutes of boooooring yadda yadda, nothing new, stuff that we all know thatīs there and blahblahblah.

Admittedly this isnīt going to change anything, but I would like to think thereīs some kind of trend here? Doesnīt it look like Newtek did their homework while Autodesk fell clearly short?

speismonqui
05-18-2011, 09:58 PM
which Maurice Patel video? hehehe, I'm guessing of all them :)

rcallicotte
05-19-2011, 07:00 AM
You're welcome.

I like Lightwave because of its stability and great network of users, which means lots of tutorials and lots of (even free) plugins.

clagman
05-19-2011, 07:06 AM
That's one thing about Rob, he really likes Lightwave as a production tool and it shows in the interviews. Lightwave will grow in leaps and bounds with someone at the wheel that has used it in his career. If I'm honest it also grows quickly because it needs to do a bit of catching up to the rest of the industry which requires less innovation.

Remoc
05-27-2011, 09:23 PM
In the press release for LW 10.1 its states...

multi-threaded mesh evaluation optimization and sub-d mesh freezing acceleration.

In my scenes I often use SubD characters controlled via bones.
Will my scenes render faster?

Could someone explain these two updates.

hrgiger
05-27-2011, 10:45 PM

multi-threaded mesh evaluation optimization and sub-d mesh freezing acceleration.

The multi-threaded mesh evaluation speeds up mesh deformation (such as bone deformation) in Layout using display subpatch levels above 0. If you normally set your display level to 0 to speed up interaction, you really won't see any difference- but anything above 0 should be much faster then in previous versions. Note that this is an optimization towards mesh deformation and not rig performance.

As far as sub-d freezing- this is an optimization that has to do with scene loading time and subpatch handling. So basically scenes should load faster and use less memory. I haven't seen anything to indicate that this will have much effect on render times.

biliousfrog
05-28-2011, 01:41 AM

I have found over the years that Lightwave usually renders sub-patches faster if you have the display resolution and the render resolution at the same level...but I can only say this with regard to rendering via F9/F10 from the host computer, I have not tested it over the farm.

It is the updating and processing of the 'render-level' mesh when different from the 'display-level' can add time to the renders...but it will obviously have a hit on display performance ramping up the display level while working in layout.

torturebori007
05-28-2011, 05:25 AM
You're welcome.

I like Lightwave because of its stability and great network of users, which means lots of tutorials and lots of (even free) plugins.

Can you point me to "free plug ins" because I cannot find none.
Im on a mac running LW10 x64.

Try that on for size....I still get my work done..but I know theres plugins that would help be even more efficient

Torturebori007

Revanto
05-29-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm not really that impressed by what LW10+ has to offer so far. I mean there are so many little broken and backward things that could be fixed especially in Modeler.

1) Symmetry - I am sooooo sick of the reverse X axis controls in symmetry mode. How long do we have to work in the stone age?

2) Edge weighting - I like using edge weighting because it saves on geometry but all it takes is one change to screw everything up.

3) Shaded bg layers - OK, sometimes it is useful to have wireframe background layers but to only have that option in perspective mode is a joke. I currently retopologise in 3dCoat but it would be nice if I could do some of it in LW. (any retopo plugins so far use the bg layer system and wireframe sucks for that sort of job)

And these are just a few issues that have been a problem for a while now. I can't even rotate or transform meshes from arbitrary angles for most tools. I'm stuck with the world x,y,z coords.

But, then again, this is typical of most companies these days. Screw fixing the issues, let's bring out the new fancy s#!t.

Rev.

Tonttu
05-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Can you point me to "free plug ins" because I cannot find none.
Im on a mac running LW10 x64.

http://lwplugindb.com/
View List / Search
Scroll down
Use the filter

hrgiger
05-30-2011, 06:41 AM
It is the updating and processing of the 'render-level' mesh when different from the 'display-level' can add time to the renders...but it will obviously have a hit on display performance ramping up the display level while working in layout.

Well that's where the threaded mesh evaluation comes into play. You can now set your display level to 2 or 3 and get almost the same kind of performance that you used to get at 0.

speismonqui
05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
3) Shaded bg layers

:agree:
That would be awesome, simple scenario: modeling eyes with the eyeball in layer 2 (SHADED mode, unselectable)
+1