PDA

View Full Version : Best Camera for Tricaster Studio

snovotny
05-18-2011, 02:06 AM
I have just purchased the Studio and I was curious with all the great new cameras out there which would be the best camera for the best dollar?

Is it better to go with an older camera that has a lot of glass (Canon XL2) or one of the new HD cameras that have the beefy chips in them and shoot it down to SD (Canon Video Vixia G10)? Just not sure what to do?

Thanks... Steve

vanderwielen
05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
xl2 hands down.

snovotny
05-25-2011, 07:20 AM
I have just purchased the Studio and I was curious with all the great new cameras out there which would be the best camera for the best dollar?

Is it better to go with an older camera that has a lot of glass (Canon XL2) or one of the new HD cameras that have the beefy chips in them and shoot it down to SD (Canon Video Vixia G10)? Just not sure what to do?

And, could you give a little explanation as to why? Pros & Cons etc.

Thanks... Steve

ghoneycutt
05-28-2011, 07:57 AM
"best camera for the best dollar?"

What type of events will you be shooting and in what environment?
(indoor, outdoor, seminars, sports, stage, etc?)

snovotny
05-28-2011, 09:21 AM
We will be shooting mostly indoors on tripods.

snovotny
05-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Why the xl2 over the newer camera's?

Brian Mirrlees
05-29-2011, 05:21 PM
You will have to better define "indoors"...

Is this a small shotbox or insert studio? A larger studio? Are you planning on working in seminar or meeting room at a school or college? Convention space? School or college gym?

The size of the room will help dictate which type of camera and or lens that you will need.

Consider the distance from you subject to where the camera can be located.

Example...

If it is a small room and the distance between camera and talent is about ten or twelve feet, then you can probably work with a camera with a smaller zoom ratio on the lens.

However, if you are going to be working in a much larger room or venue, then you will most likely require a camera which has a lens with a greater zoom ratio. You might want to consider camera makes which offer inter-changeable lenses. A variety of manufacturers offer these models, and prices tend to be a bit more than the fixed lens offerings.

vanderwielen
05-29-2011, 06:21 PM
because it's native NTSC standard def. The newer, high def cameras will down-convert HD to SD at the composite video port. There is interpolation of pixels and therefore, softened. plus, the xl2 had a 20x lense and can be found on ebay economically.

if you had said, good HD cameras, I'd suggest EX3 or XF305...though a used XLH has that nice lense.

we're shooting NCAA baseball now at ncaa.com using 4-XLHs and 2 XF305s.

mikeklausmeier
06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I would suggest the EX3. As far as lenses, it is compatible with many, many, lenses... due to various mounts. And if you plan on going HD, it has a lot of bang for the buck. If you go with this camera, be sure and check back focus as Sony has yet to figure out how to set it properly when shipping product. It is a simple fix for them, but they do not check I guess. That is a hassle, but the nice features make it a great camera for multi-camera shoots. You can adjust all the settings of your primary camera, and then export these settings to the other cameras easily with the SxS chip.

kenafa
06-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Hello, I have the old tricaster " standard def. we are not ready to move up yet, but I need new three new cameras. so the question is what is an economical camera I can use on standard def but I can use later when up grading high def on new tricaster?