PDA

View Full Version : To Ustream, Livestream or Justin TV?

Dickson Beall
05-17-2011, 04:59 PM
To do short, live news programs with the TC Studio, and without advertising interruptions, is there a 'best' among streaming services such as Ustream, Livestream or Justin TV?

pdxJoe
05-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Ustream.tv has the largest viewer traffic.

Livestream has the most features.

Justin.tv has never made my list.

You can have a great broadcast on all of them. They all are susceptible to technical issues now and then.

Joe

malone1986
05-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi Dickson,

We have been doing testing work with LiveStream recently and had some really good results. As Joe says the features you can use a really good and so far (!) we have not had any technical issues with them. Hopefully more people will join this thread to give you feedback on the others but I can give you a big thumbs up for Livestream in my experience.

Simon

VirtualStudio.TV
www.VirtualStudio.TV

TakeOneDigital
05-19-2011, 12:18 AM
We use the pay, white label version of UStream called Watershed. No ads. Awesome. We've had TONS of viewers and have yet to stress their system.

GeekNews
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
The best option at the moment is the new service from Amazon.

Amazon Cloud Front – Flash Media Server

I wrote a review here http://www.geeknewscentral.com/2011/04/22/amazon-cloud-front-flash-media-server-review/ it is dirt cheap and you only pay for what you use.

The ads have become so bad on the other service it was turning my viewers away..

I did 8 shows last month, 75 minutes long each, With an average of 350 people on the stream at all times and my total bill was less than $60 for a month.

I ran the stream at 550kbps and had excellent quality. The audience kept remarking in chat how much better it was than Ustream.

No Ads! No Fuss! First time Setup 60 minutes! Game changer and will put a lot of streaming service providers out of business.

snovotny
05-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Question on the Amazon Cloud usage...

Using Adobe Flash Server I'm assuming that you don't have the ability to stream to Apple devices. Is that correct? My friend uses Wowza because of that. The problem is the Wowza UI is way too technical. You might as well be typing raw code to start the machine. I was actually kind of shocked when I saw what he needed to do to install everything.

Anyway, what are your comments on Apple Products?

Spacebacon
08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
This Amazon option looks like a great alternative to the other streaming sites. I'm just getting up to speed on the options for live broadcasting and my head is swimming with all this new info.

Do you need to buy Adobe Media Server and switch your domain over to an Amazon server?

bbeanan
08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
I just switched over to LiveStream from Watershed so that the stream could be viewed on iOS devices. Super simple to get going. So far my only issue is that you can not lock your stream to a https secure page it has to be on a http unsecured page. which for most is fine but in my case it is for a corporate client that is charging for the stream so kinda sucks that I can not put it behind their login.

The only way to get rid of the ads with any of the services is to pay... Watershed LiveStream and Amazon all have great prices.

csandy
08-14-2011, 07:04 PM
There are a lot of options in streaming media services. It really matters what you want to do and what "must haves" are. Once you determine that, it's a lot easier to pick a CDN or streaming option.