PDA

View Full Version : advice and tutes for a potential job..

psychostyrene
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
so ive been asked whether i am able to create a female character which can animate with clothes being taken on and off... and most specifically a jacket with a frontal zipper, and having never played with cloth effects in my life id love any and all advice and tutorials on such things, if anyone has any....and (tho i hate to say this) also on using cloth effects to do a realistic compression on the characters bust......

any serious comments appreciated muchly.

toeknee
05-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey Psychostyrene, The only things I can think of off the top of my head is for you to check out this link for the zipper part ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/rip.mov
and for the cloth part my advice is make sure that your character is real world scale. I also think that bones would be the easiest way to manipulate the jacket. Also don't forget that you have the ability to animate each point in an object if you are using cloth FX.

toeknee
05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
You know let me add to that. I would use bones but I would apply IKBooster. This is an easy way to tweak the settings of your bones very fast. In fact I think that this would be a great use for IKBooster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7hXZiO3iww
Here is some good tips for animation this is animation that has clothing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/bugzilla2001#p/u/90/Nxh4IKAiloo
Good Luck and I hope all works out well.

fgreen
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Your first problem is simple taming ClothFX. It can be a frustrating animal. After hours of fiddling with settings and numerous faliures, I spent several years thinking it was basically unstable and pretty much unusablex.

Having said that, I recently found this thread posted by Dirk. I used his settings posted in the thread and finally was able to get some usable character clothing out of ClothFX. This is the best thread I've found here or anywhere.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82146&highlight=ClothFX+Tests

Here is a Youtube vid of Dirk's settings test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-R7MNUrX_Q

As far as undressing, I guess it is conceivable you could pose the characters hands and fingers, and by utilizing colision, generate the undressing dynamically.

However this sounds like a real nightmare to me. I think I'd try a series of morph targets to get the undressing going and then try the clothFX to try to add a bit of flexibility and dynamic movement to the fabrics. I'm not looking at LW at the moment, but it seems that you would set up the morphs first and have that working in the animation preview. Then the Cloth FX dynamics would be added to the already "morphing" or undressing figure.

Rove
08-13-2011, 07:41 AM
I heard good things about CLO3D which is also known as Marvelous Designer. An advanced 3D apparel designer, or to put it more simple: You can design clothing and slap it onto a 3D character in minutes.

It is possible to export the mdd and import it straight into Lightwave. It should not be to hard to design a jacket and then export it out to be used in Lightwave. It might even be possible to animate a zipper opening and closing but I do not know to much about the program (yet).

Celshader
08-13-2011, 11:40 AM
so ive been asked whether i am able to create a female character which can animate with clothes being taken on and off... and most specifically a jacket with a frontal zipper, and having never played with cloth effects in my life id love any and all advice and tutorials on such things, if anyone has any....and (tho i hate to say this) also on using cloth effects to do a realistic compression on the characters bust......

any serious comments appreciated muchly.

For the zipper animation, use the Normal Displacement displacement plug-in to control an endomorph with a texture map. With the Normal Displacement plug-in, you can use a single "open" endomorph that is "wiped" onto the model using a texture map gradient.